Girlfriend doing Muay Thai sparring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Idk if anyone on here has ever gotten septoplasty for a broken nose
Just out of curiosity. How did you break your nose? You didn't get it from martial arts or training to fight, because you have stated that you never done those things.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True injuries do heal. And ya know, the bruises and all are part of the territory of training, I get that. I personally don't think it's attractive in the least bit, but to each their own. Idk if anyone on here has ever gotten septoplasty for a broken nose, but the recovery process is essentially that your nose is unusable for a week then they pull used tampon sized bandages in your sinuses. Basically feels like they're pulling your brain out. Sooo, hell yeah I'll always tell people watch your nose cuz I don't want anybody to go through that pain, especially my gf. I should have made this forum, 'how often do people's noses get broken in Muay Thai' would have been a more appropriate question I suppose haha

I have seen and busted quite a few noses. I know girls who compete And nobody has needed reconstructive surgery. You are kind of the exeption.

You could look on line and see female fighters and check to see how mangled up there faces are. Which from my point of view is not much. But you may have more issue.

we have a model who trains with us and spars and she scrubs up ok.
lG2mctpOh0Km_jxMesoWzurFdvdeXnwbhZUceaknRDONOM4WxMToNq-TFV2V0NYD5Bzc5d3eg6n6vJzXhsyKD184S7KeWXRS72MnkchuWIURXur_iZjy6sKMc5AQxGtdY4TfacASPXi7JH9Cz4Y2LZ2k6I1AviC5SkdS1QFQcAOGnE2QXdxyqoITrr-Y54qlnWFCJsydDkuhV-UK=w300-h225-nc

You could look at girls like ruby rose who is a model and competes in boxing.

images

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah this guy does a lot of strength training apparently and seemed to need to tell us that for some reason though it had nothing to do with the subject. So he's a been strong guy who thinks he's all that maybe he doesn't like that his girl is going to get strong to and be a better fighter and can kick his ***. Maybe I'm wrong but from how the ops acting in the this thread and everything he's said it wouldn't surprise me.

Headhunter I know where you are coming from but just try and take it easy. It won't help ripping his head off when he just seems to have the wrong idea here, he is just missing the big picture.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused how I'm controlling for being concerned? I haven't ever told her stop, it's me or Muay Thai. It seems people are over looking that part.
As I said earlier, it's about the tone of your posts. The way you present it doesn't sound like only concern. Others have pointed this out, as well. If that's not what's going on in your head, then it's just a communication issue, and you may want to look for a different - clearer - way to express your concern.

OP
J

Joshs1990

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah this guy does a lot of strength training apparently and seemed to need to tell us that for some reason though it had nothing to do with the subject. So he's a been strong guy who thinks he's all that maybe he doesn't like that his girl is going to get strong to and be a better fighter and can kick his ***. Maybe I'm wrong but from how the ops acting in the this thread and everything he's said it wouldn't surprise me.
Lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow I can see why this is touchy for you.
Yeah I mean I found out like 6 months later the full details as she just told me they broke up and by the time I'd found out, he'd left town but if I had I mean I'm not a guy who likes violence and hates fighting outside the gym but if I'd known I would've done something I'd later regret. This guy also made her do...things I'm not going to go into here in front of his friends using the same controlling ways.

I hate people like that to me they're scum who so cowardly and insecure about themselves they have to control others to stop them advancing themselves.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'd stab someone if they punched her in the face or some **** even if it was in the name of 'sparring'
As you noted, yourself, this is the kind of thing that sends up red flags for many of us. If she is willing to let them take that swing, why should you get angry when they take it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ps this is the first forum I've ever made online so my bad to those I haven't responded to
Just a bit of vocabulary, Josh - this is a "thread" you created. The "forum" is the site you posted it on.

It's not a big deal at all, but I'm the resident nit-picker for these sorts of things, and I have a reputation to live up to.:D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I said earlier, it's about the tone of your posts. The way you present it doesn't sound like only concern. Others have pointed this out, as well. If that's not what's going on in your head, then it's just a communication issue, and you may want to look for a different - clearer - way to express your concern.

It is also pretty toxic to have someone constantly in your ear about how you are going to get hurt. And how you could be disfigured. Focusing on the risk with no solution but quit at everything doesn't help anybody. Whether it is concern or not. You cant associate with people like that and achieve anything.

OP
J

Joshs1990

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks sooo much for your 'helpful' input big guy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

We are not your girl friend mate. Playing the victim is not going to carry any weight or moderate how we feel.

You may very well be the bad guy here. Which is generally tough to accept.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry If you don't like it....actually no I'm not sorry but I'll always call a spade a spade when I see one. Quite honestly your attitude stinks everyone's telling you the same thing and you're just being rude about it. I hope your girl does Muay Thai and excels in it and does great and yeah maybe she will get a broken nose, that's life it happens, maybe she'll get a broken finger or wrist, maybe she'll get broken ribs, maybe she'll break a toe. I've had every single one of those injuries and guess what I'm still here I may not be pretty but I'm still moving and I'm very happy with my life because of it and if she's willing to do it then good on her it's better than sitting on her *** in front of the tv

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is also pretty toxic to have someone constantly in your ear about how you are going to get hurt. And how you could be disfigured. Focusing on the risk with no solution but quit at everything doesn't help anybody. Whether it is concern or not. You cant associate with people like that and achieve anything.
Absolutely it's like a trainer if your going into a fight you need them to pump you up tell you you're going to win or an instructor telling you'll pass a test not constantly saying actually this guy may kick your butt or you might fail

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good point, @Joshs1990. Listen to what DB is saying here. He and I only agree a percentage of the time, so when we do, it's probably worth listening to.

It's a good thing to express your concern, and let her know you care. Just don't do it too often. Not only might it get aggravating, but that really will get into her head. We are affected psychologically by what we hear and see most often, so if you express your worry too much, you'll get her worrying about it. Worrying about getting hurt during sparring (as opposed to concentrating on sparring) is one of the best ways to get hit more often.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry If you don't like it....actually no I'm not sorry but I'll always call a spade a spade when I see one. Quite honestly your attitude stinks everyone's telling you the same thing and you're just being rude about it. I hope your girl does Muay Thai and excels in it and does great and yeah maybe she will get a broken nose, that's life it happens, maybe she'll get a broken finger or wrist, maybe she'll get broken ribs, maybe she'll break a toe. I've had every single one of those injuries and guess what I'm still here I may not be pretty but I'm still moving and I'm very happy with my life because of it and if she's willing to do it then good on her it's better than sitting on her *** in front of the tv

Wait. In front of the tv?

why is she out of the kitchen?

OP
J

Joshs1990

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. How did you break your nose? You didn't get it from martial arts or training to fight, because you have stated that you never done those things.
It's been broke a few times but the main ones were a near death car accident and the other was a basketball to the face and I don't even play basketball Lol. Thank you for addressing the fact that that's really my only concern at this point, even though everyone else just thinks I'm insecure and weak. To which I don't really care because I don't know any of you guys.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been broke a few times but the main ones were a near death car accident and the other was a basketball to the face and I don't even play basketball Lol. Thank you for addressing the fact that that's really my only concern at this point, even though everyone else just thinks I'm insecure and weak. To which I don't really care because I don't know any of you guys.
But you obviously do care since you're getting so angry about it

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you broke your nose in a car accident and the other was by a basketball. Do you get upset about her driving or playing basketball?

I don't think you are insecure and weak, these are things you pointed out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the last thing ill say on this thread because honestly it's boring me and the op isn't listening to a word we say but sure there are risks in martial arts 100% but the rewards outweighs the risks. Do you think parents would send their 5 year olds to martial arts if it wasn't good for them no of course not so if little tommy 5 year old who mummy dragged along to class can do martial arts and spar safely I think a grown woman who wants to be there can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions