Do you have to be a black belt to have embroidery on your gi?

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My mother-in-law bought me a Mugen yellow label gi this past Christmas and she had Ki International embroider my name on the gi jacket lapel and pants in Kanji. Do you have to be a certain rank to have embroidery on your gi? I study Shotokan Karate under ISKF (International Shotokan Karate Federation) I am currently an orange belt and I will be testing today (04/16/2012) for my green belt. Since my test will be administered at another dojo I didn't want to wear the gi in question and offend the dojo and sensel of said dojo.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check with your instructor. Good luck on your test. Let us know how it goes. :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends. No one place will answer the same as another.

Best of luck!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, you should ask. It's really a personal preference thing by sensei and dojo. It is not uncommon for my teacher, an Okinawan, to write students' names on their uniforms in kanji if they wish. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if some of my students took the lettering to a shop and had it embroidered on another uniform though I wouldn't do it myself.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you were in Okinawa it would be so that everyone knows it's your gi hanging in the change room. (They don't take theirs home.) So, yes go for it. It has absolutely nothing to do with rank. :asian:

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This post bring me back memories. When I was a red belt a Korean Grand Master put my last name in my dobok with a marker, it was easy for me to copy it to my red belt and ask mom to embroid in yellow, when my master saw that asked me to eliminate it, he told me the only belt to embroid was the black belt, I obey my master and when I got my fisrt dan he tied me my full embroided black belt.

I think you must ask your sensei.

Manny

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do ask. For your testing, or if you're ever in doubt, a plain gi, adorned with nothing more than the school provides, is never a mistake.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No one at our school has custom embroidery on their uniforms, including our 6th Dan Master. The only names on our uniforms are on the belts of our white belts and black belts. The black belts are embroidered, and our white belts are written in Sharpie, so everyone can learn their names.

I actually think it's a pretty cool idea. When I was a kid, the Grandmaster from the organization I studied under would write your name in Kanji down the sleeve of your uniform. We had our names written in English on the front left breast, both in Sharpie.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
The school might have rules, but I doubt they'll care unless it's something really crazy.

Note that both ISKF and WKF tournament rules say the gi must be plain and unmarked other than limited manufacturer marks, country flags, or sponsor marks that the tournament has approved. So, depending upon the tournament you might not be able to wear it there.

BTW, how do you like the Mugen Yellow Label? I bought a Mugen Orange Label as my first Shotokan gi and I love the thing. Only thing I didn't like is I felt the pants were cut a little too long. After some some hot washes and dries it's just now short enough to be regulation length. I didn't want to hem it because it has great sewing work from the factory, but I'd buy .5 size smaller next time.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ask your sensei, that is something that the sensei and dojo normally decide.

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many ISKF instructors and high ranks have their name in Kanji on pants, near label, where it will not show under jacket, and along right vertical lower lapel of jacket so it will not show with jacket on and belt tied. it's considered nothing more than a name tag. Most of my uniforms have this. I'd check with your instructor, but if the embroidery does not show when uniform is on and worn properly, I think it's no big deal.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the dojo and / or instructor.

I've seen dojos that put embroidery on the nicer gi's, regardless of ranking, and some dojos that only allow yudansha to have embroidery. I've also seen some that automatically have all of their gi's embroidered, regardless of ranking.

At my school, we use the first method, where if someone orders a nicer gi (a step up from the student gi), then our distributor automatically embroiders the school name on the bottom of the jacket, unless you want one specifically for competition (then no embroidery).

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When in doubt, and even when you aren't, always ask your Instructor. It shows respect for them, and might save you from an issue...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different schools do things different ways. My first embroidered belt was on my black sash when I was promoted to Sifu. It was supposed to be my name, but when I asked a Chinese woman what it said, she laughed and said it was a children's song :) Questions like these always ask your instructor. After all, it is his school and his rules of ettiquite you do not want to break.