Go Belts and Other Gi Items

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you test at each year grade and not move up unless you pass that test?

With our education system, you go through primary school (approximate age 5 to 11) and then finish that level - you move through the year groups and get to the end irrespective of performance.

Then you go to secondary school (ages 11 to 16) and there are tests at the end. But you can fail those tests and still carry on.

16 to 18 is either sixth form or college - you may need to have passed the tests at 16 to take certain subjects but others have no entry requirements.

So for compulsory education, we effectively have 3 'grades' (distinct stages) taking 6, 5 and two years each.

There's not really any sort of drop out rate...
Well, that explains a lot of your posts.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, that explains a lot of your posts.

Well, according to Pearson's published results, I'm a product of the 6th best education system on the global index, while you're a product of the 14th.

Maybe I'm just misunderstood...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then my opinion would be based upon what value and weight is placed on that external validation.

My opinion though shouldn't really affect anyone else, but I can still voice it.

I like my tkd belts, and as I've said I have no problems with saying so. I can progress physically without them (as in my kickboxing classes), but they're required to move through the syllabus, which I decided is something I want to do.

I know full well I could collect belts without much improvement though, so I don't weigh the belt itself as the only indicator of any improvement I make.
So, you chose a following a syllabus that uses a belt system but bash someone else who voices their excitement about doing the same? Sad.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, according to Pearson's published results, I'm a product of the 6th best education system on the global index, while you're a product of the 14th.

Maybe I'm just misunderstood...
Pearson's, a multi-national British conglomerate headquartered in London. Go figure your number is where it is. It is a statistical measurement like many, many others that is used to give the desired result.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you chose a following a syllabus that uses a belt system but bash someone else who voices their excitement about doing the same? Sad.

No, not really.

I have no problems with following a belt system, but I think you need to more fully read the thread.

Using a belt as your only or main metric for progression is a mistake - especially when it's stated that having a longer interval between belts would cause you to lose interest and quit.

If instead of 10 kup grades we had the syllabus set to only 3, but each of those 3 contained the same material as 3-4 of the current system and each took a minimum of a year to complete it would be effectively the same system to me - just having longer between fewer grades shouldn't mean there's less progress.

Or/and if the minimum time to black belt was 6 or 8 years instead of the current 4, so what? Why should that extra time make me want to quit, other than impatience?

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you test at each year grade and not move up unless you pass that test?

With our education system, you go through primary school (approximate age 5 to 11) and then finish that level - you move through the year groups and get to the end irrespective of performance.

Then you go to secondary school (ages 11 to 16) and there are tests at the end. But you can fail those tests and still carry on.

16 to 18 is either sixth form or college - you may need to have passed the tests at 16 to take certain subjects but others have no entry requirements.

So for compulsory education, we effectively have 3 'grades' (distinct stages) taking 6, 5 and two years each.

There's not really any sort of drop out rate...

We sort of do have examples of this having history.happened in

For example, prior to World War II, one-room school houses for everyone aged 5 to 18 were still common. Outside of that, the normal setup was elementary school lasting up until 8th grade, followed by high school.

Middle schools, originally known as junior high schools, didn't start to become a thing until the 1960's.

In the 1970's, far fewer people than now thought less of you for not having a high school diploma, because dropping out was so common back then.

So as we progressed from a two school model to a three school model, the dropout rates decreased. Coincidence? I think not.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the day. You do what you're going to do. Doesn't matter to me.if the belts are so important then go for it. But all this is is advice from someone who's been doing this a long time. Don't threat about the belts. If they come great but if not just learn to enjoy what you're learning. Enjoy the journey and learn to love the material you're learning and learning how to apply it. I stopped worrying about belts fairy quick and when I did I found I was enjoying my training more. Instead of focusing on a date for a test I was just enjoying and playing with what I was learning. I was enjoying piecing together the forms I was enjoying playing with different ways to apply the technique and playing with variations I could use for it. It's the skills that will save your life if attacked not your belt. As Royce Gracie once said (partly as I know I'm not quoting this exactly right) : a black belt covers a fraction of your arrse its up to you to cover the rest

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
We sort of do have examples of this having history.happened in

For example, prior to World War II, one-room school houses for everyone aged 5 to 18 were still common. Outside of that, the normal setup was elementary school lasting up until 8th grade, followed by high school.

Middle schools, originally known as junior high schools, didn't start to become a thing until the 1960's.

In the 1970's, far fewer people than now thought less of you for not having a high school diploma, because dropping out was so common back then.

So as we progressed from a two school model to a three school model, the dropout rates decreased. Coincidence? I think not.

Now over here the three school model used to be far more common, but we progressed to a two school model.

Dropping out isn't really an option as it's compulsory to be in full time education or training up to age 18 - the only legal alternative is home schooling (which counts as full time education).

Actual dropouts - those who completely stop attending an educational facility - that's a fraction of a percentage point over here. Edit to add - at least it is in the under 16s. The minimum leaving age of 18 is relatively recent and not well 'policed'.

I really don't think that the amount of schools you're expected to work through has any bearing whatsoever on dropout rates - it's much more a shift in societal expectations (and actually having the option to drop out in the first place).