Go Belts and Other Gi Items

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The demands aren't placed on me by the instructors, they're placed on me by me.
that was the point i made above, but if your doing an hour of training, the same training to all intents and purposes, then you will stop getting fit, unless there an eliment of time dedicated to progressive overload or you do it on your own away from the dojo

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
that was the point i made above, but if your doing an hour of training, the same training to all intents and purposes, then you will stop getting fit, unless there an eliment of time dedicated to progressive overload or you do it on your own away from the dojo

I can pretty much agree with that - but it'd take a special kind of stupid to think that staying in your comfort zone is going to yield results...

I did know someone like that though, he was overweight and his doctor recommended walking for exercise.

So he walked a mile each day, which was a challenge at first, and for a couple of months lost a bit of weight and the mile a day got easier.

After that though he was still overweight and couldn't figure out why he wasn't still losing weight - in his mind carrying on with the mile a day should've carried on shifting the weight at the same rate.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The basis of my bet? I have yet to see an out-of-shape brown belt.
Yeah because you've barely trained 2 months....

I don't know if you genuinely think you've got a lot of experience but trust me you don't. No shame in it we all start somewhere but saying your yet to see something.....well of course uou haven't

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Look forward to a different pair of trousers, or a faster time going up the stairs - those are something measurable to look forward to.

ANYTHING but a belt, right?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bet I couldn't, what with my huge extensive zero bjj experience...

Well, unless I get one for turning up - which is kind of the same as some belts ;)

We had a Krav instructor turn up to a white belt comp once.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

No, that's not what I was saying at all.

It's simply that a belt every few weeks isn't a reliable measure of performance or improvement, which is backed up by you saying yourself that you're 20 years out of shape yet still passed a test after 6 weeks.

The other thing I was saying is that a lack of a belt, or long intervals between belts, isn't indicative of lack of progression and that there are many more ways of tracking that progression if you have the self awareness to look for them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you'll get the same personal milestones while wearing a blue belt as you do with a stairmaster...

Well, you will if you put the effort in.

I sort of understand working through grades being a motivation - there are times with my 7 year old daughter that we have to chivvy her along a bit with "if you don't put the effort in you won't be able to get your next belt".

But you said you're 40 - that's almost as old as me (I started when I was 38) - do you really need the constant external validation?

That is such a dichotomy. Say he chases external validation regardless of how people judge that?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a Krav instructor turn up to a white belt comp once.

I suppose there's a chance I wouldn't completely embarrass myself mixed in with white belts, but I'd need someone to tell me the rules...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose there's a chance I wouldn't completely embarrass myself mixed in with white belts, but I'd need someone to tell me the rules...

Man. We almost never know all the rules. There is a whole points system that I don't understand. I am just there as a training tool.

Especially as a white belt.

Admittedly I haven't been brave enough to wear the tie dye at a comp.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is such a dichotomy. Say he chases external validation regardless of how people judge that?

Then my opinion would be based upon what value and weight is placed on that external validation.

My opinion though shouldn't really affect anyone else, but I can still voice it.

I like my tkd belts, and as I've said I have no problems with saying so. I can progress physically without them (as in my kickboxing classes), but they're required to move through the syllabus, which I decided is something I want to do.

I know full well I could collect belts without much improvement though, so I don't weigh the belt itself as the only indicator of any improvement I make.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with belts is they don't give you actual information about your skills. At one school a black belt could be equivalent of another schools yellow belts or vice versa. A lot of schools they do a test and everyone is promoted to keep the school moving along together, the only real way to get an accurate assessment of your abilities is by sparring or rolling or drilling. Like let's use bjj. When I started and i first tried to drill an arm bar it was so and clunky and had so many mistakes now when I drill it I can do it without thinking about it. when I do stand up I don't think about blocking I just naturally do it because of the time I've put in. That's how you asses your ability not the piece of fabric you wear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then my opinion would be based upon what value and weight is placed on that external validation.

My opinion though shouldn't really affect anyone else, but I can still voice it.

I like my tkd belts, and as I've said I have no problems with saying so. I can progress physically without them (as in my kickboxing classes), but they're required to move through the syllabus, which I decided is something I want to do.

I know full well I could collect belts without much improvement though, so I don't weigh the belt itself as the only indicator of any improvement I make.

Yeah ok. See I kind of can't I have to fight to the death to get them so I am pretty proud of mine.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah because you've barely trained 2 months....

I don't know if you genuinely think you've got a lot of experience but trust me you don't. No shame in it we all start somewhere but saying your yet to see something.....well of course uou haven't

Here's what I DO know: each test where I train includes all of the previous belt tests before it. So when it's time for me to test for orange belt, I take the gold belt test again plus the orange belt test. Again... the gold belt test alone was a task for me. I've already gotta be in better shape for that than the shape I'm in now.

Testing for black belt is an 8 hour ordeal. If you're at my level of physical fitness... you're not gonna pull it off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem with belts is they don't give you actual information about your skills. At one school a black belt could be equivalent of another schools yellow belts or vice versa. A lot of schools they do a test and everyone is promoted to keep the school moving along together, the only real way to get an accurate assessment of your abilities is by sparring or rolling or drilling. Like let's use bjj. When I started and i first tried to drill an arm bar it was so and clunky and had so many mistakes now when I drill it I can do it without thinking about it. when I do stand up I don't think about blocking I just naturally do it because of the time I've put in. That's how you asses your ability not the piece of fabric you wear

But they do give you a direction to focus your efforts. Say I have never needed to arm bar someone to submit fools.

I would be forced to develop my arm bar to get a belt.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is simply that a belt every few weeks isn't a reliable measure of performance or improvement, which is backed up by you saying yourself that you're 20 years out of shape yet still passed a test after 6 weeks.

In my estimation, white to gold is not designed for the "exceptionally" fit. That seems to be the case as you go up.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But they do give you a direction to focus your efforts. Say I have never needed to arm bar someone to submit fools.

I would be forced to develop my arm bar to get a belt.

Exactly. What if we didn't divide our education system into grades? Or let's say we divided it into three grades, each taking four years to complete?

The dropout rate would skyrocket.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A black belt won't make you healthy. It's your training that will do that
In the literal sense, true. But it is mutually implied in any healthy MA environment. Why rain on a new person's parade? He/she clearly stated a very, very positive life attitude change. I am certain the OP understands anyone can go to Amazon and buy a black belt. That is not at all what they were saying.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. What if we didn't divide our education system into grades? Or let's say we divided it into three grades, each taking four years to complete?

Do you test at each year grade and not move up unless you pass that test?

With our education system, you go through primary school (approximate age 5 to 11) and then finish that level - you move through the year groups and get to the end irrespective of performance.

Then you go to secondary school (ages 11 to 16) and there are tests at the end. But you can fail those tests and still carry on.

16 to 18 is either sixth form or college - you may need to have passed the tests at 16 to take certain subjects but others have no entry requirements.

So for compulsory education, we effectively have 3 'grades' (distinct stages) taking 6, 5 and two years each.

There's not really any sort of drop out rate...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So like a degree?

Latest Discussions