Cut kick

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I would think that if you use the cut kick to block an incoming kick, the cut kick would have to be going hard and fast and it would hurt if not hitting on the shin guard. I want to ask our instructor about that kick as it has never been mentioned, probably for that reason. TW

It will deliver pain to the shin of course, but in a tournament stituation we are trying to deliver pain, we are not playing tag out there. lot of nstructor stay aay from tha kick for the sake of the sort, but since I teach Tradintion as well we teach it when you are ab to get the kick in do so.
Terry

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We practice blocking kicks with our legs or other kicks all of the time. The "cut kick" is only one type of blocking technique...and with any blocking technique, timing is critical. In TSD, there are three types of timing.

1. Go No Sen timing. When a kick comes out and you "block" it with your leg this is a full beat and on the next beat your counter comes in. This describes a "cut kick" well.

2. Sen timing. When a kick is chambered by one's opponent, a kick is delivered to the chambered leg in order to defeat it. (I use this all of the time in order to close the distance!)

3. Sen O Sen timing. A kick is delivered as the foot moves, before it is chambered and realized, therefore defeating the action.

When we spar, kicking the standing leg of an opponent is not allowed. However, if the opponent moves to kick, then "blocking" the leg of your opponent with your leg is allowed. Green belts start learning these techniques but do not get to use them regularly until red belt.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Karetekid cut kick are legal in USAT tournaments and through the Olympics they are legal also.
Terry

SWEET! I didn't know that. But not in my dojang :( Not that I am aware of anywho. I gotta ask now ;)

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol tkd cant use it!? LOL. I use the kick all the time, it totally embarrasses the other fighter, ok take this for example. Everytime they throw a front kick/round kick, you nail them and knock them back. They begin to lose moral becuase they cant figure out a way to get inside your defense, so heck yeah i use it lol

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
How many of you fellow TKD'ers have ever really used the cut kick in action, I mean outside the dojang and was it in a tournament or in actual stituation in life?
Terry

Terry,
I had to look this up as it is a specific name used by WTF and being Ch'ang-Hon I have never heard of this before. The definition on the other sites list this as (Is this correct?):

One) in one of my books on wtf sparing it mentions a cut kick as a side kick to the upper thigh or butt on a spinning move. is this legal? it says it is as long as its above the thigh

Reply) The WTF (Olympic) competition sparring rules clearly state that only hits to the trunk protector and face are scored, and any attack below the waist receives a penalty point. See Articles 12 and 14 of the rules

Ch'ang-Hon teaches:
  • Checking kicks - which can be used to stop a persons legs with a vertical or horizantal foot position (Vertical, for say a reverse hook kick. Horizantal for say a front kick)
  • Pressing kicks - which are used in a downward motion, say to break a knee
  • Stomping kick - attacking anything on the ground, commonly instep...
  • Thrusting kicks - which can be used on an opponents hip (I love this because it totally throws off the other fighter)
As in WTF, none of these are allowed in Ch'ang-Hon tournaments (As most promoters want to keep their house and not get sued). Also, we take a dim view of hitting someone in the back as if you throw something then you are responsible for controlling it (reguardless if they are spinning or not) :)
But the kicks I listed are practiced all the time in class sparring and other drills.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cut kick is a checking technique which can be applied lower ab/hip or lower back the intended targets in the exchange of techniques if one hits the legs or rear there is no penality.

The cut kick is kind of a cross between the push side kick and the roundhouse so it uses a lot of muscle groups primarily for speed of execution.

Best example: Juan Moreno - Syndey Silver Medalist uses the cut kick often and routinely. Any of his fight tapes and many of his instructional tapes will demonstrate.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good post TX BB! We use cut kick extensively especially to stop opponent's back leg round kick or ax kick in open stance and back kick in closed stance. As long as you get the leg up on your opponent's hip or higher, it is perfectly legal in competition. We do lots of warm ups using a cut step-sort of a cut kick fake.

Miles

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still not too sure on this cut kick thing. The pictures linked to what looked like some kind of axe kick.

Is it an axe kick with the intent of landing your heel on the shin area of an incoming front kick? Or is it just a term for any kick used to deflect an incoming kick?

Either way, the answer is no. I have not used this technique in real life. I have more than likely used it in training though.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miles said:
Good post TX BB! We use cut kick extensively especially to stop opponent's back leg round kick or ax kick in open stance and back kick in closed stance. As long as you get the leg up on your opponent's hip or higher, it is perfectly legal in competition. We do lots of warm ups using a cut step-sort of a cut kick fake.

Miles

Me, neither, understanding that is. Kicking a leg higher than hip level? There is no leg higher then hip unless you mean you can kick any part of the leg if it is raised higher than hip level? The thigh is lower than hip level so I am confused too.

Also this sounds like any kick that deflects an incoming attacking kick. Or are there more specifics? TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
Cut kick is a checking technique which can be applied lower ab/hip or lower back the intended targets in the exchange of techniques if one hits the legs or rear there is no penality.

The cut kick is kind of a cross between the push side kick and the roundhouse so it uses a lot of muscle groups primarily for speed of execution.

So the cut kick is not intended to stop legs but to stop the body's forward motion? What part of the foot is mainly used-the heel, blade, ball or instep?
I'm real confused now. It sounds like it is different to different people. TW

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kind of the whole bottom of the foot, you'll use front, heel, blade and arch to position your opponent. This kick only scores when it's delivered to a valid target and knocks them down (just like any other push-kick). People generally use this take away many kicks and position themselves to deliver counter kicks.

One more stab at explaining the kick. Imagine delivering a side kick and holding about 1/2 way to the target. Pull toes toward the shin, the foot is positioned about 10 degrees above the knee and the foot is parrallel to the floor. The target area should be the bottom of your opponents Hogu (this is what makes the kick legal). Kick at this target as fast you can using a side kick and roundhouse motion. The side kick motion pushes while roundhouse motion gets the foot in position quickly.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
Kind of the whole bottom of the foot, you'll use front, heel, blade and arch to position your opponent. This kick only scores when it's delivered to a valid target and knocks them down (just like any other push-kick). People generally use this take away many kicks and position themselves to deliver counter kicks.

One more stab at explaining the kick. Imagine delivering a side kick and holding about 1/2 way to the target. Pull toes toward the shin, the foot is positioned about 10 degrees above the knee and the foot is parrallel to the floor. The target area should be the bottom of your opponents Hogu (this is what makes the kick legal). Kick at this target as fast you can using a side kick and roundhouse motion. The side kick motion pushes while roundhouse motion gets the foot in position quickly.

Oh, now I got it, I think I can visualize it now when I know what's contacting what. And then if the opponent's kick gets in the way, that is the way you stop it. ;) Thank you, TX BB, I will try it soon! TW

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sounds faiirly similar to what I've trained as basically just a front-side sidekick to jam into the torso during the opponents rear leg attack to stop their body rotation. Has to be fast and high enough to be legal

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol. I was taught the cut kick is standing still..side ways, a side kick to the target. I'm trained to use it to stop them from kicking *hence they use a round house, i use a cut kick, boom i stop them from hitting me* that's how i use the cut kick. Not to knock them down, to prevent

Latest Discussions