Certification Cost ????????

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the record, he paid $10,000 US currency to his instructor. He will not tell me the guy name but he is coming to a class on Saturday. He is serious about opening a school and no the $50,000 is for him to beable to use his formal instructor name no matts or bag or anything.

I will let people know more after Saturday.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well for sure he got ripped off and the person who did so fed on his lack of knowledge. It is charlatans like this who prey on people a really bad taste in my mouth!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much was yours? I am just curious and you don't have to answer.

AoG

My BB test in TKD during the eighties was fifty bucks. Not too bad.

My karate sensei has charged me nothing for any of my rank advancements up to and including 4th dan. He gives out a nice parchment certificate along with a Shureido belt, so I know he's out of pocket at least $100 for every black belt he promotes.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone even given any decent advice to this guy?? If this guy signed a contract of no compete, it is enforcable if the instructor want's to pursue it.

http://library.findlaw.com/2003/Mar/11/132628.html

http://nysmallbusinessattorney.com/is-my-non-compete-agreement-enforceable-under-new-york-law/

Now not having seen the non-compete agreement in question here, I am just guessing but I would say that it is not enforceable, even in New York unless the student goes off on his own and actively tries to recruit current students out of the master's dojang and into his own. And even then it is probably not enforceable since it may likely be seen by the court as preventing the student (now a dojang owner) from making a living.

And having read the first link, I would almost bet my life on a non-compete signed in New York not being the least bit enforceable in Texas.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Free legal advice is worth what you pay for it.

The basic rule for enforcement of a non competeis that it has to be reasoneable in scope as to time limit and distance. This varies by industry. The more unique the industry, the greater the scope that may be deemed reasoneable.

Most urban areas have lots of MA schools within a small distance, so the reasoneableness of distance would be quite small.

Other restrictions may apply such as ATA copyrighting their forms, so uyou cannot tech them unless you pay a licensing fee. This may be enforceable worldwide.

Yes, charlatan instructors taint the industry, but sometimes you have to wonder about the naivete of the consumer as well.

Have had people tell me their instructor prohibited them from even looking at what other schools or competitions were doing. And they obeyed!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Other restrictions may apply such as ATA copyrighting their forms, so uyou cannot tech them unless you pay a licensing fee. This may be enforceable worldwide.
well, that is copy right, and I venture to say, yes, it is in almost all countries of the world enforceable. (my Mothership seemed to have changed forms a while back for this explicit purpose...)

Yes, charlatan instructors taint the industry, but sometimes you have to wonder about the naivete of the consumer as well.

Have had people tell me their instructor prohibited them from even looking at what other schools or competitions were doing. And they obeyed!

Sadly, that is not unique to the MA. I have heard of a lot of people in other aspects of recreational pursuits that have similar 'masters', even to the extent that the client gets him/herself fired if they don't include the instructor on the purchase (and subsequent commission payment) of the according 'equipment' (it's horses, but you get the drift) or if they dare to take a seminar with another trainer.

One would hope that a person who is able to put up 10k dollars worth of collateral for a BB has the smarts to look past the edge of his dinner plate.
Then again....I live in the Bible belt...the vision is awfully restricted around here a lot of times.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just for the record, he paid $10,000 US currency to his instructor. He will not tell me the guy name but he is coming to a class on Saturday. He is serious about opening a school and no the $50,000 is for him to beable to use his formal instructor name no matts or bag or anything.

I will let people know more after Saturday.

Is he also planning to apply the business strategies he learned from his master?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wella fter watching him workout, I have come to relixe he wasted all that money. Everything is off poomsae, Self Defense and kicking technique. First poomsae, nothing crisp, everything done lazy, the movements are bad as well as the flow. The SD is what I call childern type stuff that if he really got in a fight he would get hurt bad. His kicking techs. are like a 6 year old. He went ino a leadership program that tought him how to run and teach a school for profit. People pay to learn how to run a business in the MA community and they never did focuson techniques all that much but yet hao to amke people fell they are getting what they believe they should. He understands that he is a little bad when it comes from techs. but like je said he will hire a youger that has some to show off for the people coming in. It is about making money and not preoducing any quality, he needs the name because they sign a contract for ten years they have to use his name when opening a school anywhere in the country. I really do not see haw that would be enforcable but he believes it and will be looking for a place somewhere in the Arlington area. He still will not giveme a name especially now since I pointed out everything that was wrong with his poomsae and S.D.. Well I wish him the best and hope the people that go their will se beyond a belt.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wella fter watching him workout, I have come to relixe he wasted all that money. Everything is off poomsae, Self Defense and kicking technique. First poomsae, nothing crisp, everything done lazy, the movements are bad as well as the flow. The SD is what I call childern type stuff that if he really got in a fight he would get hurt bad. His kicking techs. are like a 6 year old. He went ino a leadership program that tought him how to run and teach a school for profit. People pay to learn how to run a business in the MA community and they never did focuson techniques all that much but yet hao to amke people fell they are getting what they believe they should. He understands that he is a little bad when it comes from techs. but like je said he will hire a youger that has some to show off for the people coming in. It is about making money and not preoducing any quality, he needs the name because they sign a contract for ten years they have to use his name when opening a school anywhere in the country. I really do not see haw that would be enforcable but he believes it and will be looking for a place somewhere in the Arlington area. He still will not giveme a name especially now since I pointed out everything that was wrong with his poomsae and S.D.. Well I wish him the best and hope the people that go their will se beyond a belt.
I don't know if we should laugh or cry for this chap. I am beginning to doubt whether there is a shred of truth in anything he is telling you.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I guess their is always that possibility but I know he will not be back at my school because I requested he never comes back. I believe he was just full of ****.

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow,
I thought my previous org was expensive. 10,000 bucks...this guy has got to be a nutter. I'm serious, common sense ought to kick in, unless he just had cash to throw away. Jeez...
I myself have had five almost six year experience at my previous school. I am going to put in the same at my current school, and enjoy. I may want to open a dojang one day...but not for money, for the love and passing on of knowledge. I am working everyday to learn all I can. What my body cannot do currently I doing with my mind. I wish I had 10,000 to burn!!

Last edited:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have an idea what type of education the gentleman in question has, but he could have gotten himself some genuine business education with the $10,000 he wasted on a bogus blackbelt and Taekwondo "business course. If his intention was to run a business, an Associates Degree in management or business, from a fairly decent New York community college, like this one http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/about_bmcc/m would have been more useful. Its costs -- http://www.mcny.edu/businessunder/asbabout.php. -- are lower than what the man paid his Taekwondo master. Many people dreaming of opening a dojang seem to forget the importance of having solid formal, professional or even street education, in addition to acquiring bona fide Taekwondo skills.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea but one man said their is a fool born every minute and I guess this instructor has corner the market on all of them in N.Y.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea but one man said their is a fool born every minute and I guess this instructor has corner the market on all of them in N.Y.

If this guy was playing you for a fool, I'm not sure what his angle would be. If he was going to open up a school under his SBN, why would he need you? Your youngest can outshine this guy. He gains nothing by telling you his story & showing you his bad techniques.

More than likely, his story is true: he was screwed out of $$ & now wants to recoup it by trying to open a school. I still have no clue why he would come see you.

What ever his angle, I'm glad he won't be hanging around your dojang any longer. The whole thing just smells bad.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If this guy was playing you for a fool, I'm not sure what his angle would be. If he was going to open up a school under his SBN, why would he need you? Your youngest can outshine this guy. He gains nothing by telling you his story & showing you his bad techniques.

More than likely, his story is true: he was screwed out of $$ & now wants to recoup it by trying to open a school. I still have no clue why he would come see you.

What ever his angle, I'm glad he won't be hanging around your dojang any longer. The whole thing just smells bad.

Iceman it is simple and I shouldhave said this earlier, he was hoping to find someone to hook up with down here and by pass his instructor. I will not have anybody that cannot do simple techs. and have the attitude that he will bring someone in while he is learning everything the right way. I in no way want to be a part of tricky potental customers out of their hard earned money and I believe he will find someone to help him because so many people do not care about honor and integrity anymore. I know it will not be me.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman it is simple and I shouldhave said this earlier, he was hoping to find someone to hook up with down here and by pass his instructor. I will not have anybody that cannot do simple techs. and have the attitude that he will bring someone in while he is learning everything the right way. I in no way want to be a part of tricky potental customers out of their hard earned money and I believe he will find someone to help him because so many people do not care about honor and integrity anymore. I know it will not be me.
Ok, it makes sense, now. Boy, you sure get your share of characters coming to see you. I think you did the right thing in showing him the door. It's sad to see that kind of thing, tho.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1 - wow, this guy is a moron

2 - I worked in arlington for 2 years, i bet you get some WEIRD people coming in

3 - I wish I had known there was a respectable TKD school around when i lived there.

I took Hapkido for 2 months, but the instructor kept trashing TKD so i quit.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
10K for a BB, 50k for a name?

Wow, BS sure fetches a good price on today`s market :lfao:

Latest Discussions