Certification Cost ????????

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wella fter watching him workout, I have come to relixe he wasted all that money. Everything is off poomsae, Self Defense and kicking technique. First poomsae, nothing crisp, everything done lazy, the movements are bad as well as the flow. The SD is what I call childern type stuff that if he really got in a fight he would get hurt bad. His kicking techs. are like a 6 year old. He went ino a leadership program that tought him how to run and teach a school for profit. People pay to learn how to run a business in the MA community and they never did focuson techniques all that much but yet hao to amke people fell they are getting what they believe they should. He understands that he is a little bad when it comes from techs. but like je said he will hire a youger that has some to show off for the people coming in. It is about making money and not preoducing any quality, he needs the name because they sign a contract for ten years they have to use his name when opening a school anywhere in the country. I really do not see haw that would be enforcable but he believes it and will be looking for a place somewhere in the Arlington area. He still will not giveme a name especially now since I pointed out everything that was wrong with his poomsae and S.D.. Well I wish him the best and hope the people that go their will se beyond a belt.
So, in other words, he paid $10,000 plus whatever the base contract was for cursory training in martial arts, and a business/entrepreneurship program. I don't know if he walked away with any software or curriculum models.

Still a rip-off, in my opinion. I'd suspect that the non-compete is worthless -- but that would need to be assessed by a lawyer. As to the $50,000, that seems to be a franchise fee -- with very little franchising assistance being provided, though you could argue that he already received their "business model" in the leadership training.

I trust Terry's assessment of his skill level. I don't wish the guy bad luck -- but I suspect that he won't last long. This guy just seems to have poor business sense!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Iceman it is simple and I shouldhave said this earlier, he was hoping to find someone to hook up with down here and by pass his instructor. I will not have anybody that cannot do simple techs. and have the attitude that he will bring someone in while he is learning everything the right way. I in no way want to be a part of tricky potental customers out of their hard earned money and I believe he will find someone to help him because so many people do not care about honor and integrity anymore. I know it will not be me.

Crap... you beat me too it. I have know a few loosers that has tried this at my last schools.

They show up for a few different reasons.
  1. To look for a "business partner" to back them
  2. To feel out the competition.
  3. To see what they need to do to out do you and steal your business.
My first and Last schools I went to were sucessful, and many idiots would show up, look like crap, know nothing, try to make friends there, DISSAPEAR, then open up a school nearby, try to recruit your students, spread rumors and lies about your school, and basically try to leach off of the Martial Art community that you have build.

For them its easier to steal students than create new ones.

But in the end, the truth comes out.... but you still may be affected by these low-lifes. A few of the not-so-great students will think the grass is greener and go, only to find they were wrong and eventually quit all together.

bastards.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, there was a guy that rented the space at a Judo club in Fort Worth, on west Berry right near TCU. It's maybe 2-3 blocks east of TCU on Berry next door to a jewelry store. Not sure he is still renting the space, I don't recall his sign in the window last time I drove by before moving to Kentucky.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!! Chicago was fun.Need to do it again

I was trying to find that thread again so another guy would understand the hot chocolate remark when we discuss why I find it obscene that he charges his instructor trainees 60 bucks a month on top of the regular school membership, out of which he graciously pays the new 30 dollar yearly fee for those guys, testing fees (which are 3 or less a year) plus a 'lesson' each week. To my calculation he made an extra 300-400 bucks of folks who help him out in his business...

The hot chocolate machine looks mighty decent to me under those circumstances...