Cane as a weapon...sorta

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Due to my recent ACL surgery, I have purchased a cane for times that my leg is so stiff or whatever that it slows me down considerably. I have long been a fan of the cane as a weapon and have recently starting looking at its use much closer.

I have noticed, however, that most forms and demonstrations that I have found show a person who clearly doesn't need a cane (i.e. does jump spinning kicks, rolls, etc). Personally I like it because I know that in the future, I will most likely need one (again).

Who here actually uses a cane on a daily basis? Who here trains with a cane as a weapon? If you train with one, do you use it as just a short hooked stick or do you train with a simulated "handicap" to make the training more applicable to the future/present?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Due to my recent ACL surgery, I have purchased a cane for times that my leg is so stiff or whatever that it slows me down considerably. I have long been a fan of the cane as a weapon and have recently starting looking at its use much closer.

I have noticed, however, that most forms and demonstrations that I have found show a person who clearly doesn't need a cane (i.e. does jump spinning kicks, rolls, etc). Personally I like it because I know that in the future, I will most likely need one (again).

Who here actually uses a cane on a daily basis? Who here trains with a cane as a weapon? If you train with one, do you use it as just a short hooked stick or do you train with a simulated "handicap" to make the training more applicable to the future/present?

I used a cane for a prolonged period of time after repeated foot surgeries. I have a source on affordable self-defense cane dvds. Check your PM.

As for training, any cane can be trained as sanshakubo/hanbo. I like to simulate limited motion with a tight wrap or something, or just pretend. Anyone that's walked with a cane for a prolonged period of time remembers how much it sucked...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Please check the "unbreakable umbrella" that is design to use like a cane weapon....

Works just like a umbrella too! ...they have the "U" shape handles and the straight handles ...appox $159.00 .....

Aloha ( www.unbreakableumbrellas.com)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jacked up my knee on duty and have been on a cane since Oct 7th...I own 3 of the Grandmaster Mark Shuey's Combat Canes plus all his DVD's and instruction manuals..You can use ALL the parts of the cane..I can stand unassisted and block and strike..Thats how I practiced..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Drac, I've had to use a cane on and off after injuries (broken feet, seriously sprained knees, etc.), so have one just for the flareups. But I also train with it. I couldn't do spinning or jumping anything if I had to, so no, don't train that way. Do have some DVDs, and also interchange it with forms learned for broadsword, bo, etc., just to get a different feel as well as ideas for uses that might not otherwise come to light. Do the same with my shillelagh, which I can also use for lighter 'cane' duty.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a cane or walking stick most of the time. No I do not need one but have walked with one for years.
I find that as was said in the OP that most cane forms are done by people who do not need a cane but want to look flashy. Many of the moves in those forms would be ridiculous in actual combat.
A cane is a beautiful weapon and one that has many deceptive uses.
When looking for a cane be sure it is sturdy and that the hook on it is the size and shape you want (If you are using it to hook opponents it needs to be larger than normal).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A cane is a beautiful weapon and one that has many deceptive uses.
When looking for a cane be sure it is sturdy and that the hook on it is the size and shape you want (If you are using it to hook opponents it needs to be larger than normal).

Yes, well said..I had to purchase an Instructors cane to accomindate the size of my hand..As tshadowchaser said "A truly deceptive weapon"..Some of the ones GM Shuey sells had what look like decorative notches on the shaft..These are actuall called "sharks teeth" to be use against your oppoinent..

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Had to use a cane years ago due to numerous knee surgeries but don't require it anymore.
I do train it as a weapon because it is one of the few versatile street weapons one can carry legally.
It can be used to hook, trap, strike, smash, lock up, can be used as a staff, a baton, a sword, etc.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, well said..I had to purchase an Instructors cane to accomindate the size of my hand..As tshadowchaser said "A truly deceptive weapon"..Some of the ones GM Shuey sells had what look like decorative notches on the shaft..These are actuall called "sharks teeth" to be use against your oppoinent..
Good points, TS and Drac. Those notches also make great combat grips for sweaty palms on hot days.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always shake my head and laugh when I see the Cane Masters products.

Don't get me wrong. They're perfectly good weapons. But the price tag is outrageous for what you get. If you want a solid hickory cane just about exactly the same size and shape go to the feed store. Buy a stock cane for about ten bucks. Carve the decorations yourself. Save at least $100

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get great canes right here for $12! Finest hardest hickory you will ever find and hand made by the amish. (Really these are as good as anything you will find out there)
icon6.gif

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy's obviously skilled, but the knife techniques put the defender's arm way too close to the knife for my taste. A serious attacker with a double-edged blade is going to be waving that thing at any part of your arm which is within reach, even if you have him in a figure four or other arm lock.

The other thing that bothers me is there seems to be a lot of extra movement before connecting--multiple set up steps, 'cocking' the weapon before striking--(read: telegraphing movement). This would be akin to drawing back a fist before striking, which we all know only works in the old cowboy movies I watched as a kid (yes, it was on black and white TV) :D

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my training brothers was seriously hurt in a climbing accident many years ago. My instructor promised to teach him the Bando cane once he got back on his feet - if he got back on his feet. He uses a cane for real as a mobility aid every day of his life - and the cane is an awesome weapon. I love it.

love it love it love it

There are so many ways to use a cane that don't involve leaping, spinning, rolling, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love Ed's Canes. I especially like how Hurty the tip of the crook is... he makes em nice and sharp... :D

GM Shuey's canes also have the sharp tip..Certain models have sharp 3 tips..As tellner pointed out they are expensive, but ya get what ya pay for..

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian, that's a fair price for the product!

Drac, the problem is that you don't get what you pay for. For ten to twenty times the price you should get at least twice the product. You can get just as good for twelve bucks. You can get nearly as good for under ten, and better if you're willing to spend half a minute with a saw and a few minutes with sandpaper.

Latest Discussions