Disabled--looking to practice

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I searched through the list of forums and this seemed the most appropriate one in which to ask the question.

A little about me, so that I might get a more complete answer.

I have spastic cerebral palsy that affects my lower half, and due to this and complications from a corrective surgery I must use a cane on my right side in order to walk. Being born with the disability, and using the cane for about 13 years now, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Given that both singlestick and canne du combat, particularly the latter, employ canes/sticks in their normal drills, I thought one of these would be a good choice for training in general fitness, coordination, possible defense, etc. I'm looking at them more as fitness routines than straight defense simply because, as someone with poor balance and footwork, the odds of successfully using these techniques to win a confrontation are realistically, not high for me (probably, what do I know?)

It's difficult to explain in great and accurate detail the true specifics of my abilities and limitations online... but, given some of these parameters, which would you recommend? I was leaning toward singlestick, although it seems the sticks used are probably somewhat shorter than my standard round handle aluminum assistive cane.

Also, I do not live near a training facility. While there are a wealth of videos out there, it is difficult for me to watch and perform moves at the same time. Perhaps if I purchased a DVD I could watch in the living room while learning, I just haven't invested yet.

While this is more about fitness, activity and such to keep me on my feet, any comments with an eye to defense also welcome. Not being able to master the integral factor of footwork, I've just assumed I shouldn't bother. But as a cane is also part of daily life, incorporating that makes sense to me, too.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking which of the two (or one I haven't thought of) would be best for a person with spastic cerebral palsy of the legs who uses a cane, and how best to learn some of it with no training facility nearby, and what to invest in.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ask me anything for more information.

welcome to MT. dont let the disagreements and distractions of posters bother you. it happens sometimes. i apologize for the others rudeness.
if you cant find a good school near you, you should keep looking for a teacher. it is possible there is someone near you who can teach you privately and can tailor something to you. over the years i have had quite a few private students. but you will really have to look for them.

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Granted, learning skills can't hurt..up to and no further than it takes you out of the realm of realism and into an overconfident frame of mind that can lead to real danger.
I know my thread is quite old now as I've not had a chance to come back to it.

But I would say for the most part, disabled persons regardless of disability don't really get all that overconfident in their physical prowess, even if they learn a few fighting moves. We tend to have the opposite problem.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know my thread is quite old now as I've not had a chance to come back to it.

But I would say for the most part, disabled persons regardless of disability don't really get all that overconfident in their physical prowess, even if they learn a few fighting moves. We tend to have the opposite problem.

Well, you have a point, but I don't think the 'martial fantasy' mentality is restricted to any given set of abilities. I'm not suggesting you are prone to such thinking by any means, I'm just suggesting staying realistic is a much safer option.

My cousin in a chair has a taser holstered under the seat. Realistic self defense.

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, you have a point, but I don't think the 'martial fantasy' mentality is restricted to any given set of abilities. I'm not suggesting you are prone to such thinking by any means, I'm just suggesting staying realistic is a much safer option.

My cousin in a chair has a taser holstered under the seat. Realistic self defense.
I don't necessarily disagree. I would even suggest that in terms of pure self-defense (if that is the ultimate goal) a wheelchair user might have some advantage over me, a cane (and occasional wheelchair) user.

1. The wheelchair user needn't be concerned with balance or footwork. I can't really do "footwork" and it would be relatively easy to throw me off balance if I wasn't in an environment that made that more difficult.
2. Neither of us has the option to run, really, which I think many experienced practitioners would say is the best option available. That can get to me sometimes because it's unfortunate not to have one of the best, safest options at the ready. If the goal of the attacker is not a strong arm mugging but a true "I want to harm you" intent, we have to do something about that, even if our attempts come to naught. But the wheelchair user can possibly get in some good strikes and then roll away if they've momentarily incapacitated their attacker.
3. For both, if we're thrown to the floor, that might actually be the best of a bad lot, because then, again, no balance issues and if we can get our opponent down there, all the better.

I mention these points only because there was some question above as to wheelchair users and defense, and I daresay in some ways, they have advantages over me. Probably. Some may even carry other items, as you say, a taser. Perhaps some arnis sticks or something.

Mixed martial arts is for me a beautiful form of dance, made all the more so by being more "useful" than only the dance, if I may say. Perhaps it is my lack of ability that engenders such a high opinion of it, but everything from proper strikes to footwork to reading your opponent is of great interest to me. I am totally the guy who watches the Korean action movies and thinks how awesome that would be (though cinematic martial arts is a different discussion altogether.) No argument there. But for better or worse, I'm aware of my limits daily.

I don't concern myself with this as much as I once did, the pure self-defense aspect of it. The hypotheticals and what ifs drove me to distraction once upon a time. Accepting and working within one's limitations, while continuing to push them, makes for a happier lifestyle.

General thanks to everyone who posted videos, I'll make some time to watch them soon.

Latest Discussions