Disabled--looking to practice

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I searched through the list of forums and this seemed the most appropriate one in which to ask the question.

A little about me, so that I might get a more complete answer.

I have spastic cerebral palsy that affects my lower half, and due to this and complications from a corrective surgery I must use a cane on my right side in order to walk. Being born with the disability, and using the cane for about 13 years now, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Given that both singlestick and canne du combat, particularly the latter, employ canes/sticks in their normal drills, I thought one of these would be a good choice for training in general fitness, coordination, possible defense, etc. I'm looking at them more as fitness routines than straight defense simply because, as someone with poor balance and footwork, the odds of successfully using these techniques to win a confrontation are realistically, not high for me (probably, what do I know?)

It's difficult to explain in great and accurate detail the true specifics of my abilities and limitations online... but, given some of these parameters, which would you recommend? I was leaning toward singlestick, although it seems the sticks used are probably somewhat shorter than my standard round handle aluminum assistive cane.

Also, I do not live near a training facility. While there are a wealth of videos out there, it is difficult for me to watch and perform moves at the same time. Perhaps if I purchased a DVD I could watch in the living room while learning, I just haven't invested yet.

While this is more about fitness, activity and such to keep me on my feet, any comments with an eye to defense also welcome. Not being able to master the integral factor of footwork, I've just assumed I shouldn't bother. But as a cane is also part of daily life, incorporating that makes sense to me, too.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking which of the two (or one I haven't thought of) would be best for a person with spastic cerebral palsy of the legs who uses a cane, and how best to learn some of it with no training facility nearby, and what to invest in.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ask me anything for more information.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Realistically, you should be thinking firearms for self defence. It's unlikely that any amount of training would allow you to overcome a fully functional attacker.

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Realistically, you should be thinking firearms for self defence. It's unlikely that any amount of training would allow you to overcome a fully functional attacker.

True. Though, as a personal decision, I don't think my balance is good enough to take a proper stance with a firearm in a drastic situation, and get off a shot without risking someone else. I could be wrong about that, but it's a personal decision I've made for now.

I did mention defense in my post but I'm also looking for what's best for general fitness and activity aside from my home workout routine which currently doesn't include anything martial.

Thank you for your insight.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True. Though, as a personal decision, I don't think my balance is good enough to take a proper stance with a firearm in a drastic situation, and get off a shot without risking someone else. I could be wrong about that, but it's a personal decision I've made for now.

I did mention defense in my post but I'm also looking for what's best for general fitness and activity aside from my home workout routine which currently doesn't include anything martial.

Thank you for your insight.
it will do you a great deal of good, how far you can take it depends on lots of things I'm not in the know about, but improvements in balance, co ordination and muscle tone are all there for the taking, a friends son with a,similar condition made amazing in progress with his determination to play soccer.
aa for what's next? If there are no classes a you can get to then your,stuck with teaching yourself of vids, normally that's not the best, but if your focus is balance and fitness rather than perfecting techneque its not the end of the world, pick one you like the look of and go for it. I suppose a cane swinging one makes sense

Last edited:
OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it will do you a great deal of good, how far you can take it depends on lots of things I'm not in the know about, but improvements in balance, co ordination and muscle tone are all there for the taking, a friends son with a,similar condition made amazing in progress with his determination to play soccer.
aa for what's next? If there are no classes a you can get to then your,stuck with teaching yourself of vids, normally that's not the best, but if your focus is balance and fitness rather than perfecting techneque its not the end of the world, pick one you like the look of and go for it. I suppose a cane swinging one makes sense

Glad to hear about your friend's son. I can't really kick so soccer is out---I can thrust the leg out in a kicking strike, but not one with any real height or degree of force, and thanks to certain muscle complications I have no upward propulsion--jumping, etc. Very glad to hear he was able to improve his quality of life. Thanks for the rest of your comments as well. Currently watching a few vids, just trying to think how best to incorporate that beyond memorization... which I guess is fine, as I'd like some moves to become muscle memory eventually anyway.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
giving someone a good wrap in the head with his cane isn't the worse self defence

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to hear about your friend's son. I can't really kick so soccer is out---I can thrust the leg out in a kicking strike, but not one with any real height or degree of force, and thanks to certain muscle complications I have no upward propulsion--jumping, etc. Very glad to hear he was able to improve his quality of life. Thanks for the rest of your comments as well. Currently watching a few vids, just trying to think how best to incorporate that beyond memorization... which I guess is fine, as I'd like some moves to become muscle memory eventually anyway.
you not alone in the high kick problem, im working my own way through that.

bite sized pieces, really three moves at a time until you have them and then move on, the whole thing is just,repeating yourself until it works

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You mentioned no living near a training facility. Is this just for cane fighting or are there no martial arts schools at all around you?

Just an FYI, I've seen folks completely unable to walk practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Will they become world class athletes? Probably not but they're still working on their fitness and doing what they can to learn the techniques.

OP
J

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You mentioned no living near a training facility. Is this just for cane fighting or are there no martial arts schools at all around you?

Just an FYI, I've seen folks completely unable to walk practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Will they become world class athletes? Probably not but they're still working on their fitness and doing what they can to learn the techniques.

There isn't one in my city but there are a few not too far away in surrounding areas--schools of karate and TKD specifically, so I am unsure if they have instructors that could help me.

I've heard before that BJJ is good for some disabled persons because a lot of the focus is on grappling and floor fighting, so it is also something I have been meaning to look into, thanks for that.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone has said bjj can be used for disabled people. Hell at my place there's a guy with only 1 arm and 1 leg. He uses a fake leg to walk and takes it off for training and he's a blue belt who recently completed a 12 hour grappling session for charity and he's a taekwondo black belt. Best thing to do is talk to your doctor and talk to an instructor

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You get a lot more out of life from martial arts than shooting a gun

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Firearms and Filipino Martial Arts would be my recommendation for the self-defense aspect of things. Use of a weapon is the great equalizer, particularly for someone in your situation.

As the old saying goes "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal". For your fitness goals. Many things would fit that bill, but I would also recommend beginning a serious strengthening program if you are not already doing so. I teach Therapeutic Exercise at a PT school, and I am happy to share that there is a good amount of data showing the benefits of resistance exercise for persons with CP and spasticity. It isn't going to fix everything obviously, but it can help you.

PM me if you like, and I would be happy to help you find someone good in your area.

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Guns are for cowards. Half the problems in the world these days are caused by psychos with guns

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guns are for cowards. Half the problems in the world these days are caused by psychos with guns

You are a freaking moron if you believe that. A person who was born with a disability is going to have an extremely difficult time matching someone who was not if they, or a loved one, is attacked. What would you have them do? Just lie down and take their beating. Allow their wife to be raped? What about older persons who cannot move the way they once did? What about multiple attackers with weapons?

Grow up.

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are a freaking moron if you believe that. A person who was born with a disability is going to have an extremely difficult time matching someone who was not if they, or a loved one, is attacked. What would you have them do? Just lie down and take their beating. Allow their wife to be raped? What about older persons who cannot move the way they once did? What about multiple attackers with weapons?

Grow up.
You can still fight if you're disabled I've seen guys in wheelchairs manage to defend themselves. You shoot an attacker you'll be in deep **** yourself, sorry if I offended you....actually no I'm not

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can still fight if you're disabled I've seen guys in wheelchairs manage to defend themselves. You shoot an attacker you'll be in deep **** yourself, sorry if I offended you....actually no I'm not
Agreed I hate this stereotype that disabled people are weak....from what I've seen it's the exact opposite. They're tough because they have to be because they've grown up getting crap because they're different and look like easy targets. I tell you I've got a friend who's blind in one eye and only one arm that works properly and I know he could kick the hell out of me if we threw down.

Or look at bill Wallace the guy only with one leg his whole career because his other leg was badly injured and he's one of the best of his time

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is frankly, completely unrealistic.