Disabled--looking to practice

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello jstacy and welcome to MT

I applaud you for reaching out to search for a way to better yourself and asking for advice. I saw this on the MT Filipino Martial Arts General Forum under the thread about how macho is your art. I met this gentleman in 1999 and at that time he could walk with the type of crutches that were braced on his hands. He told me that Angel Cabalas had trained him in Serrada knowing of his physical limitations, to be a good teacher to help pass on his (Angel's) art. I've seen some video footage of him teaching from a stool in seminars. I copied this post to share with you.

"Carlitos has spina bifida which, I'm told, is a progressively deteriorating congenital condition where some of the nerves of the base of the spine are open and exposed. As a young man, Carlitos could walk after a fashion. He took up Serrada Escrima and became very good in spite of his physical issues.

When I met him, he was already basically confined to a wheelchair, but could hoist himself up onto a bar-stool and wedge himself into a more or less stable position braced with his extended legs. From that point he became like the calm eye of the hurricane, mata sa bagyo, raining blows down with lighting speed and accuracy. Amazing to watch."

Angel Cabalas was a legend in America's FMA comunity and he gave Carlito a wonderful gift by sharing with Carlito his art. Carlito now shares Angel's art with others. Your disability can be an asset when working with others because you will have a different perspective than those of us without a disability, what can come easy to some people might be hard for you but you will get a different view point through your hard work possibly allowing you to help others in the future. Who knows.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I searched through the list of forums and this seemed the most appropriate one in which to ask the question.

A little about me, so that I might get a more complete answer.

I have spastic cerebral palsy that affects my lower half, and due to this and complications from a corrective surgery I must use a cane on my right side in order to walk. Being born with the disability, and using the cane for about 13 years now, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Given that both singlestick and canne du combat, particularly the latter, employ canes/sticks in their normal drills, I thought one of these would be a good choice for training in general fitness, coordination, possible defense, etc. I'm looking at them more as fitness routines than straight defense simply because, as someone with poor balance and footwork, the odds of successfully using these techniques to win a confrontation are realistically, not high for me (probably, what do I know?)

It's difficult to explain in great and accurate detail the true specifics of my abilities and limitations online... but, given some of these parameters, which would you recommend? I was leaning toward singlestick, although it seems the sticks used are probably somewhat shorter than my standard round handle aluminum assistive cane.

Also, I do not live near a training facility. While there are a wealth of videos out there, it is difficult for me to watch and perform moves at the same time. Perhaps if I purchased a DVD I could watch in the living room while learning, I just haven't invested yet.

While this is more about fitness, activity and such to keep me on my feet, any comments with an eye to defense also welcome. Not being able to master the integral factor of footwork, I've just assumed I shouldn't bother. But as a cane is also part of daily life, incorporating that makes sense to me, too.

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking which of the two (or one I haven't thought of) would be best for a person with spastic cerebral palsy of the legs who uses a cane, and how best to learn some of it with no training facility nearby, and what to invest in.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ask me anything for more information.

In regards to videos for self defense you might try Michael Janich's Martial Cane Concepts since it was designed for people who need to use a cane to walk with as opposed to using a cane to augment their martial art such as the Hapkido Cane. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down the martial art of Hapkido nor the cane techniques found within it, it's just a difference of the ultimate training goal.

I would stay away from say "Kenpo Street Cane" video though.

However per your question about the martial systems or sports of english singlestick or canne du combat I'd say neither. For the following reasons.
1) Availability for instruction, both systems seem to be on the decline so it might be hard to find instruction.

2) Both are meant for sport 1st and self defense 2nd. Now I know you weren't looking for self defense because you don't believe you can defend yourself, so as a sport you would get the physical fitness you were mainly looking for. I respectfully disagree here. Since both systems are sports 1st, they have rules, those rules will be imposed on you. For instance points are scored for proper footwork, for leaps, etc. etc. things you can't do. I believe this will set you up for frustration in the long run. I think you would be better off working on things you can do and still meet your goals of physical fitness.

Here are some suggestions that I believe can meet the physical fitness aspect you are looking for.
1) A few people here have suggested the FMAs and I agree. Because of your limited maneuverability without a cane, I would get something you can hit (a hitting bag) and a stool, sit on the stool and beat the bag using double sticks. If you don't have a bag you can hit trees or leaves on a bush or a post. I suggest double sticks so you exercise both arms and there are plenty of drills and videos of drills out there just search for Sinawali drills on you tube and I'm sure you'll find plenty. I'll be glad to help you in this.

2) In regards to foot work or moving around if you only need to use one hand and a cane, try moving with the assistance of the cane in one hand and using a stick, a knife, or something in the other hand to practice defending yourself with or practice using it (the item) as a shield. Lay down on the floor and use the double sticks as if you have fallen. Lay down on the floor and use your cane as if you have fallen.

3) In the FMAs we have feeding patterns for the drills, so take a section of a feeding pattern (say 5 strikes) and practice walking with the cane while striking with the other hand (executing those five strikes) then pick another 5 strikes or another order and do them. When watching TV sit in a chair and practice those same strikes with a knife, a kitchen utensil, a pot or frying pan, your walking cane, anything to keep the arms moving and the brain active.

4) In some of the FMAs the double stick drills translate to empty hand skills, so while you are building muscle memory through high repetition of a Sinawali drill you can also practice that same drill empty hand while sitting in a chair. If you have someone that can hold Focus mitts for you then you can do boxing type drills using the Sinawali patterns giving your upper body a work out. But you can move past just the Jab Cross Hook drills to elbows, guntings etc. etc. and combine them to the standard boxing drills thus allowing you more creative ways to train.

5) Not to mention doing these drills if you have a training partner to help you along. Then he can feed you and you can feed him (meaning you can feed you strikes with the stick, and you learn to block and defend, then you feed and he learns to block and defend, or he holds pads for you and then you for him) the sky is the limit.

However these arts (the FMAs) were meant more for the self defense side of things more so than sport, so with that said I think overall the training mindset is different and more open than learning a sport form and adapting it to meet you physical needs.

Oh by the way where are you at in the USA?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@jstacy

Are there any martial arts schools near you? If so you may want to visit them and talk to them about training. The worst they could say is no.

There is a story of a man who was confined to a wheelchair, after a major accident, in Chuck Norris' book

"The Secret Power Within: Zen Solutions to Real Problems"

This man did exactly that and found a teacher. You may want to check the book out

I am also thinking, if balance is a problem, possibly looking to styles that specialize on ground work, such as BJJ

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is frankly, completely unrealistic.
I love the hit and run disagree monkeys.

Ok wise guys, let's have the argument for how you think it's realistic for someone in a wheelchair or that needs to hold themselves up on a crutch to defend themselves against able bodied attackers in the street? I'll surely hold my breath...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok wise guys, let's have the argument for how you think it's realistic for someone in a wheelchair or that needs to hold themselves up on a crutch to defend themselves against able bodied attackers in the street? I'll surely hold my breath...

If you want an argument please start another thread rather than impose on this one. The OP was asking for information not looking to have arguments breaking out on the thread. Show some respect and good manners.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Perhaps that is the case for some wheelchair users, and perhaps not for others, maybe you are generalising about wheelchair users?

Either way, I think OP in seeking after constructive defence information to help their selves is showing they do not wish to be helpless, do not wish to be burden on anyone else and I think that ought to be applauded you would not agree? specially when other able bodied folk expect other agencies to keep them safe, no??

arguing over pettiness is fine that is what internet is for and but I am sure as martial artist you have thoughts or constructive information you can give :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want an argument please start another thread rather than impose on this one. The OP was asking for information not looking to have arguments breaking out on the thread. Show some respect and good manners.

If someone hits the coward button on my posts without working up the testes to say why yes, I will call you on it.

Especially in a situation like this where the (unstated) counter opinion could cost people their well being or even their lives were people to take it to heart. This is quite a serious matter.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Disabled Devon woman headbutts mugger - BBC News

Hero wheelchair user rescues sex attack victim racing to her aid on full speed

Disabled woman fights off attacker after being pushed from her wheelchair in Skegness

Disabled man fights off armed robbers using bed warming pan

Wheelchair-bound victim fights off knife robber

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

1: the psychological nature of the typical strong arm robber. They are looking for easy victims. They either ambush or look for someone the believe will not fight back. If a person fights back with some skill, say a solid hit to the face, they will often run. Why? These attacks are about hit and run. The longer the fight last the better chance the cops show up and catch them.
2: Certain fighting arts make more sense. Would I suggest boxing? No. But it someone can't use their legs but has good upper body strength an art with ground fighting? Yes because the bad guy would have to "come down" to your level to take your stuff. If you learn to fight with weapons see #1 because strong arm robberies are unarmed and if you show you know how to use that stick/knife etc. they will go in search of a softer target.
3: it will make you overall more fit when combined with #2 brings us back to #1.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
1: the psychological nature of the typical strong arm robber. They are looking for easy victims. They either ambush or look for someone the believe will not fight back. If a person fights back with some skill, say a solid hit to the face, they will often run. Why? These attacks are about hit and run. The longer the fight last the better chance the cops show up and catch them.
2: Certain fighting arts make more sense. Would I suggest boxing? No. But it someone can't use their legs but has good upper body strength an art with ground fighting? Yes because the bad guy would have to "come down" to your level to take your stuff. If you learn to fight with weapons see #1 because strong arm robberies are unarmed and if you show you know how to use that stick/knife etc. they will go in search of a softer target.
3: it will make you overall more fit when combined with #2 brings us back to #1.
Granted, learning skills can't hurt..up to and no further than it takes you out of the realm of realism and into an overconfident frame of mind that can lead to real danger.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Whoops someone's upset that he's got more dislikes than likes on his profile

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Evidence has already been given multiple times to prove you wrong but you're choosing to ignore no ones problem but your own

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone hits the coward button on my posts without working up the testes to say why yes, I will call you on it.

Especially in a situation like this where the (unstated) counter opinion could cost people their well being or even their lives were people to take it to heart. This is quite a serious matter.
Oh yes because training martial arts is going to cost someone their lives right...the only one causing problems is you telling disabled people not to train because there's no point in them doing it. And then you start crying because people disagree with you. I very much hope the op doesn't listen to a word you say.. This forum has a disagree button and people use it. If it bothers you that much don't post

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's like saying 1/1000000 golfers get hit by lightning, so it's realistic to expect to be hit by lightning every round of golf.
you cant have it both ways, disability varies rom slight to paraplegic , if your going to say people with a physical disability can't defend themselves you are going to have to define what level of disability you mean and how big strong fast etc there attacker is.
my friend with one leg woul grind most people in to the dirt if they made the mistake of letting him get hold of them, he is 300 lb of muscle even with a leg missing

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Granted, learning skills can't hurt..up to and no further than it takes you out of the realm of realism and into an overconfident frame of mind that can lead to real danger.

It's not about overconfidence. If anyone on these boards thinks their training means they will always win they are overconfident. It is not overconfident to recognize people who do street robberies are looking for soft targets. When you show they aren't soft they go looking for another target. Self defense isn't about beating the other guy down, it's about getting out of a bad situation and having the other guy leave is getting out.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Evidence has already been given multiple times to prove you wrong but you're choosing to ignore no ones problem but your own
Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. Facts schmacts

;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, not trying to go against Mod warnings but that one actually has me scratching my head.......

The definition of fact is a thing that is indisputably the case.

So facts are used to prove...well...truths and reality.... since "indisputable" means unable to be challenged or denied.....the question is what is actually a fact and what is not....

or it simply could be a case of I missed the joke...if so my apologies.

Latest Discussions