Can YOU Be Beaten?

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dear Shana thank you as always for your post with your insights.

And you said..

Will you tell me then please when do you think such a fight should be conceded?
Thank you
Jnna xoxo
Hey luv,
I think a fight should only be conceded, if it's a life/death struggle situation (not competition as that's a much less dire situation in most cases), when it will gain something vitally important. Off the top of my head, if conceding a fight meant my child, my husband could leave unharmed...and I knew this would truly happen....then that might be worth it. It's a situational thing, really.

but philosophically, if I'm in a life/death struggle, there are very few rules and very few things that would stop me fighting as long as I could physcially drag my head up. I simply don't believe in giving up when you have so few options and choices.

and...after posting I realized that several things I said had already been said..thus the perils of coming to a thread late....GREAT post and GREAT readings. Thank you all for expanding my thoughts and concepts!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know about being prudent, but it is realistic that on a given day anybody can be beaten by anybody else. That works both ways, on any givend day you can beat anybody else. You won't know who will be able to beat you or who you'll be able to beat until after it happens. That's why the prudent thing to do, IMO, is to avoid that situation and make it a moot point.
Amen to that, bro.

Or as Sun Tzu said:
Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles
is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists
in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it prudent to admit there will always be an opponent capable of beating you?

Or does such an admission lessen your chances of defeating that opponent should you ever encounter him?

Thank you for reading :)
Always,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I haven't read any responses yet, but here is my psychology;

I KNOW there is someone out there who can beat me.

But I KNOW it sure as hell isn't the guy I'm about to fight. Him I'm going to destroy.

elwin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it prudent to admit there will always be an opponent capable of beating you?

Or does such an admission lessen your chances of defeating that opponent should you ever encounter him?

It might be realistic to admit that someone is capable of beating you, but it MUCH MORE important that you focus on the fact that you can beat ANY PERSON who threatens your life.

You must ENTIRELY focus on what you are capable of doing, instead of thinking what your attacker "might" be capable of.

If you do everything right, in how many life threatening situations where you need to fight, do you think you can get in during your entire life? If you are unlucky or maybe made a poor choice, it may happen once. Twice is unlikely (if you survived the first one) as you will have learned from the first attack and prepared yourself more. Three times it can happen to some people, but not to students of self defense. Maybe to those who choose to stay helpless victims, those who stay ignorent to their surroundings, and others who are just plain reckless, etc.

When that moment comes, you can defeat any attacker. His ability doesn't exist. His body will make movements towards you, and a weapon may be present, but you expected that. He may seem bigger, stronger or faster than you, but you didn't expect it to be easy and fun either. You have trained for this day, although you did everything to avoid it. Your only focus is on destroying your attacker as fast as you can, while at the same time ensuring the least injury to yourself. The principles and tactics stay the same, only the techniques used are determined by the given situation.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
DAMN!!!

I just thought of this and I wish I had posted it first as my answer

"I Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice. I'll be too busy looking gooood."

:D

yep, and well if you do let me survive, well age and treachery, take youth and skill, and of course there is always weapons..... why would you want to fight fair??? the object is to survive, not win points!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am invincible! (Just ignore the many times in my life where I was soundly thumped, bludgeoned, bruised, and beaten.)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Age and accumulated injury will eventually render even the winningest among us vulnerable. Nobody stays undefeated forever.

Daniel

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that this is, or should be a part of training. If you think you will always win then the day you are losing you wont know when to disengage.

Have a win/survive mindset but understand that no matter how good you are or how hard you train there is someone better out there; ....the person you need to be training to be better than.

Murphy and his laws seem to have a say in the matter of winning a confrontation as well. and Murph is always out there.

Latest Discussions