Defining the Default Positions

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Source:
http://www.urbancombatives.com/defaultart.htm

Lee Morrison discuss the different methods of a default position once the poo hits the ventilator.

This is different from the Fence or the Jack Benny stance, where you have an idea that something may come up. The default position is when things have already started.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tony Blauer...an excellant teacher...especially for the adrenline responses...and what actions to train ourselves too...

Defining the Default positions...excellant to see and read about and good idea to add to your training...

Hand should always be high enough, to protect ONE self anyway...best to find and use the ones...that can prevent lots of damages to one self...

SPEAR....Good stuff to learn about...research this further...check out Tony Blauer ryu.......

Aloha, Hands...more than you think?

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well it seems that this guy in his default positions is really missing what Tony Blauer talks about. By confusing the S.P.E.A.R. tactic with the S.P.E.A.R. system which a lot of people do. Secondly he lists about 6 different techniques or cover positions, which in essence defeats his argument about an unlearned or instinctive flinch with which Blauer talks about. In addition I am sure anyone who has done some rudimentary BJJ or Army Combatives loves the Photos of the Cover position while mounted, as these positions are the LAST ones you would want to go to. One leads to the americana the other to a rachet move in order to achieve the back mount.

In addition, Hick's law comes into effect as well, as with the variety of Default positions comes the complex motor skill of selecting which one is appropriate for the given situation. As this will be done under stress, the more options, the slower the reaction time, and the greater chance that the incorrect one is selected.

Also, all the questions that he asks, Blauer has answered with the S.P.E.A.R. System and demonstrated either with the S.P.E.A.R. system or the PDR courses. Check them out.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I usually just blade my opponent and lift my hands to about shoulder high. If I'm wearing my Glock, I blade so the Glock is away from my opponent.

Deaf

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The different positions I believe are there to give you an option.

Pick one that works for you for the given situation.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I teach is pretty much the one listed as 'the shield'. It works well off the flinch response, allows you to keep watching your attacker and provides a great platform to launch your counter.
As the article concludes, there are many choices. Pick the one that suits you and train it, train it, train it. :asian:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Main thng is here? ....is to make sure you can protect your "head"....from the first strike!

How one does it? ....really do not matter..along as it works for you...!

Helmets? ....;helps

Aloha,

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not a big Blauer fan, there are much better out there.

Not to be nitpicky, but who do you think is better out there? I am sure that there are as well. But Blauer much like the Gracies not only has a good product but knows how to market it and present it extremely well to some of the most cynical group of people out there.

Cops and Military tend to smell BS a mile away, and also tend to be some of the cheapest people too. So to impress those two groups speaks a lot. Doesnt' speak everything but does speak alot.

Like LTC Grossman, DeBecker, Marc MacYoung, some are considered required reading and some think that they are full of crap, regardless they do raise a lot of good questions on how to approach Violence in today's society.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand experience with Blauer or his system, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few experienced MAist LEOs on here talk about his system and give it a 'meh' rating at best.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
In addition, Hick's law comes into effect as well, as with the variety of Default positions comes the complex motor skill of selecting which one is appropriate for the given situation. As this will be done under stress, the more options, the slower the reaction time, and the greater chance that the incorrect one is selected.

I don't recall him saying that you should use these "default responses" as diagnostic techniques selected based on the type of threat encountered. The very idea contradicts what a "default response" is supposed to accomplish.

from the article:
[FONT=&quot]Where possible we want one non-diagnostic response that with help with all of these eventualities, as in that moment, there is no time to [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]diagnose what’s coming. Again none of these, are positions that I want to get caught in none than the less they are feasible scenarios, that [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]my support system or in this case, my default should be able to cope with. Now let’s take a look at some of the various methods practiced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] within the Modern Combatives fraternity. In some examples the differences are slight, in others they are more obvious in all variations the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] commonality that we’ve talked about is glaringly present; check it out. [/FONT]
In this article he is basically just outlining some of the responses taught by various instructors in the SD community...their individual "takes" on the solution to the problem.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, defining the default postions....can be more than a 1000 ways? ...

Aloha, find the one that works....

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be nitpicky, but who do you think is better out there?

I would say the problem with his material is that he goes WAY overboard with the details to the point that it looks like he's trying to prove himself, and offers little in terms of applicability while doing so.
I'm not saying his stuff isn't applicable I'm just saying that most people would like to get to the point.
Marc Macyoung's stuff is great, Damian Ross too from what I've seen, there are several others.
Blauer is sort of like having to read through an entire 500 page book to say what could easily be said on a few pages.
Some might appreciate it and he has come up with some good stuff but tends to try and take credit for alot of things that have been done before or are common sense.
He'll go through 2 hours to tell you why a movement will work when he could just show it for 5 minutes and you can train it to see for yourself.

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would say the problem with his material is that he goes WAY overboard with the details to the point that it looks like he's trying to prove himself, and offers little in terms of applicability while doing so.
I'm not saying his stuff isn't applicable I'm just saying that most people would like to get to the point.
Marc Macyoung's stuff is great, Damian Ross too from what I've seen, there are several others.
Blauer is sort of like having to read through an entire 500 page book to say what could easily be said on a few pages.
Some might appreciate it and he has come up with some good stuff but tends to try and take credit for alot of things that have been done before or are common sense.
He'll go through 2 hours to tell you why a movement will work when he could just show it for 5 minutes and you can train it to see for yourself.

I am with you, Blauer tends to be overly scientific with Catch phrases and Acronyms, but taken into account that he is pitching predominately towards military and LEO, who LOVE catch phrases and Acronyms, his marketing fits the bill. He couples it with citing Grossman, which is another guy, like Gavin DeBecker who make solid claims, but is very anti-gun for many people's taste.

I like Marc "the Animal" but from what I have read of his, he is a bit more geared into the 'fight' whereas Blauer gears towards 'the ambush', both can be mutually compatible, and overlap in a lot of areas.

Latest Discussions