MIND Games

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I do not go for direct eye contact cos I am no good at the crazywoman stare and anyway I see someone try to pull off the looking up from under furrowed brow thingy it just makes me

going a little off topic maybe but their are some people in the world that when they look at you and you see their eyes you know they are seeing a dead person in front of them and just waiting for the momnt to make it come true

So I tell him (smiling even more) ... "No problem, I'm happy to box bare knuckles too.
yep that works a lot of the time

I think when you are highly skilled and confident this comes through in how you move and carry yourself.

I think this is one of the biggest things that can be accomplished in the arts

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think my only real "mind-game" is my confidence. aside from feints.

when i have been involved in street fights i hold my composure pretty well, i try to utilize my adrenaline to stay focused. but it isnt always that easy when ppl are swinging at you.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys :) thank yous all for this I am sorry I missed them to reply.. and but there is a common thread I think that the sort of trickery or mind games you guys use are sort of THREATS of violence.. and that is my problem that I am not particularly threatening if I am being honsest I think and if I were to say some of the stuff you guys posted here that you have said at the onset of a potential altercation well no matter how convincing I made it.. I still think I would draw someone down rather than getting them to back off if you follow?? How best to get them to back off without advising them if they come closer you will cut off their head reach in and pull everything out.. how to do that without doing that??

Anyways dunno if anyone reads these threads after they go cold but if anyone pops in I am grateful to each and every one of yous all who posted your thoughts I have read each of them carefully.. you guys are a right bunch of toughnuts I will say!! hey anyone wanna job as a bodyguard, ha! good rates an all :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Well if a woman was around 100 lbs = 7.142 857 143 stone and
:rofl: Dude, you're such a geek. :rofl:
and she told me in a very calm voice she was going to kick me in the shin as she climbed up my body by stepping on my knee to reach her thumb into the soft spot around the collar bone and the other hand sticking her hand covered in oil and other fluids into my eye ball, would make me hesitate.
Note: you won't be believable unless you know that you can actually do this. Rich, I imagine, can quite seriously back up the subtle, yet aggressive, comments that he makes. And his credibility is very likely backed up by the visual intimidation factor. So, be sure about what you're threatening, if you're threatening. I would never recommend "writing cheques your body can't cash". The possibility of simply escalating a situation that you cannot handle is far too great.

With that said, the question was about "psyching out" one's opponent. Presumably, this presupposes that the altercation is indeed going to happen. If we're assuming that, then I suppose that "writing cheques your body can't cash" is a viable option if it gives you some time. Personally, I think that your biggest liability in this circumstance is time. Time because we have assumed here that the altercation is happening. Maybe right now.

So, the attack on preparation, in this circumstace, warrants consideration. Many will say that to throw the first attack is a bad idea, inadvisable and potentially criminal. Perhaps....

However, I don't think that one's personal safety ought necessarily exist as a right within the context of one's compliance with the law only. I think that there may be times when a person can only have a reasonable hope of surviving an altercation by utilizing the attack on preparation.

The attack on preparation is, essentially, the recognition of the inevitability of the attack, followed immediately by attacking first. Usually, recognition of the attack's inevitability is verified by some type of physical cue. There are, quite obviously, a miriad of various types of attack that can be utilized at this juncture. Not much point in going in to those here, as this was originally about the "mental" aspect - a psychological attack on preparation, if you will. In that regard, there are a few different strategies that one can employ. However, each must be considered as being followed up by some type of phyisical attack, preferrably, something that will help you close the gap.

- Act crazy. I don't care how, just lose your grip.
- Scream obsenities
- Bark
- Feint
- Feint again
- If you're agile, use it, depending upon your environment. Roll, cartwheel, leap somewhere tactically advantageous.
- Look for environmental weapons, and get them in your hands ASAP. As said upthread, sometimes the threat of using a weapon is enough. Also, know what to do with said environmental weapon. Risk: said weapon is removed from your control, and used to kill you.
- Throw loose pocketstuffs at your attacker's eyes.
- Spit into attacker's face.
- Pretend you have a gun? I don't know if this is a good idea or not. If coupled with acting crazy, it may work. I don't know.....
- As always, just run if you can.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh how I love telling this story. One of my old friends lived in a bad part of town. One weekend when he was climbing the stairs to his apartment and a guy lurking around in the stairwell stopped him. Then this dude took out a double barrel shot gun and pointed it at him. My friend said, "how much for the gun?" The guy looks at him and replies "two fifty." My friend smiles and says "aww man, that's too rich for me." The stranger shrugs and walks away.

I was like holy **** when he told me that story. I told him I would have soiled my pants if that was my case. I say confidence plays a big issue deterring and diffusing scary situations.

Using that as an example I make eye contact with agressive looking people. Then I'd nod/smile and make a comment about the day before I go. They usually look surprised and greet back.