What exactly IS "The Street"?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have HABITUATED violence and murphys law. Its my perception that it can happen anytime and anywhere no matter what. Its not a shock to me and there is no mysticism behind it. I understand it completely and I accept it. Everyones "perception" and "reality" is different. Actuality on the other hand isnt. Its the same, all the time regardless of what one thinks thier reality is. Reality is= this can or could happen... Actuality is= this does-is- or has happened. makes sense?
I cant be "prepared" for everything but I understand I must be ready for anything.

I had 2 blades on me at a babyshower in a home on a sunday. I am completely unbiased with carrying or having access to tools or labor saving devices. I dont just carry becuase I am in or going to be in a "bad area" .... I carry to church... if that makes sense.

Awareness -Assesment-Assertiveness are all a constant "demeanor" or state of being for me no matter where, what, when, why or how.
Hey BLACK LION :) thank you again for your input. Yes, your thoughts certainly make sense. Can I ask you, is there any chance do you think that you are taking "the street" with you rather than responding to it when you maybe bring blades to a babyshower event or church? Is that simply habit or do you feel justified by experience in being armed in seemingly non-offensive situations? I am not on your case or anything I hope I am not giving that impression. See I know there are a number of knife carriers here and irrespective of the actual risk, many are carrying because of a "perceived" risk - and we have a self-fulfilling prophecy. Thank you again :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont burden myself with paranoia for the streets of the field... I merely prepare myself for worst case scenario at all times. There have been shootings at church and suprisingly I wasnt the only one with a blade at the baby shower... There was a knife maker there unbeknownst to me and a couple enthusiasts. Although I do get random questions as to why I am carrying a blade and I politely reply that it is simply a tool that may come in handy.

A tool is useful regardless of time and place. I have carried a knife since I was 8. My father gave me a simple folder and told me... "Son, I am going to give this to you and I want you to repeat after me... this is not a toy , this is not a weapon, this is a TOOL" ....

Ultimately... its better to have and not need than to need and not have... I really do not feel right if I am without my tools or a means to improvise.
Its just that habituated and ingrained... kinda like leaving the house without socks or underwear on or without any cash or house keys.

It is the fault of society that these things are no longer habituated...not long ago it was common for everyone to carry everywhere...

I just cant take the warrior out of my spirit... it has been passed on down the generations and now I see the same spirit in my daughter. Then again I am a direct decendent of "Crazy Horse" and come from a long line of war vets...

sorry for the rant

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i dont burden myself with paranoia for the streets of the field... I merely prepare myself for worst case scenario at all times. There have been shootings at church and suprisingly I wasnt the only one with a blade at the baby shower... There was a knife maker there unbeknownst to me and a couple enthusiasts. Although I do get random questions as to why I am carrying a blade and I politely reply that it is simply a tool that may come in handy.

A tool is useful regardless of time and place. I have carried a knife since I was 8. My father gave me a simple folder and told me... "Son, I am going to give this to you and I want you to repeat after me... this is not a toy , this is not a weapon, this is a TOOL" ....

Ultimately... its better to have and not need than to need and not have... I really do not feel right if I am without my tools or a means to improvise.
Its just that habituated and ingrained... kinda like leaving the house without socks or underwear on or without any cash or house keys.

It is the fault of society that these things are no longer habituated...not long ago it was common for everyone to carry everywhere...

I just cant take the warrior out of my spirit... it has been passed on down the generations and now I see the same spirit in my daughter. Then again I am a direct decendent of "Crazy Horse" and come from a long line of war vets...

sorry for the rant

lol! a fire arm is a tool, so is a hammer... by they way hammers have killed more men then fire arms over history.

It is not the tool but the hard heart and intent that kill. no rifle, pistol, hammer, knife, bow and arrow, or any other thing ever killed a human being. but men and women have killed each other with them, and with their bare hands.

that is why the old cry is " register mongols not Crossbows! "

that said, "the street" is still any place that is not the dojo, dojang or what have you .. or the cage or ring for the sport folks. its any where where you are attacked and you will live or die perhaps by what your choices are, and how well you can implemnt that choice.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think we are in agreement on that. I listed each different environ in order of its potential danger. Thus prison was ranked higher than the street and the workplace, social events, clubs and bars all more dangerous than the home.

My point was that there are different environs, some of which are actually more dangerous than "the street" due to either a complete absense of any law enforcement or an absense of fearing punishment on the part of an attacker. In prison, there may be more restriction than on the street, but as an attacker is already in prison, he or she no longer fears the punishment. If they beat you to within an inch of your life, the penalty is prison time. Well, they already have that. Not only that, you have no avenue of escape. You must see these guys daily. You cannot change your rout or avoid the place.

The wilderness is a place where things happen with a compete absense of law enforcement or emergency services. While there may not be as much chance of a person attacking you, those that do have little fear of being caught if they kill you. You may not be found for months or even years. And if your attacker is that grizzly bear, well, he will eat the evidence.

In the bad guy's HQ, it is in their interest to prevent you from leaving, as you can now rat on them. Unless you are one of the bad guys or the cops intent on raiding the place, you have no business being there.

These are places that are definitely not the street and are inherently more dangerous. The only time the street is more dangerous is if you refer to the mythical street of video games and movies, where thugs throw chi balls and have ninja and yakuza for back up.

Absolutely!

Daniel

But, as Just2kickU said, 'the street' doesnt have to physically be the street, ie: Main St., College St, East St, etc., it can be any place where violence can happen. Some places such as bars, clubs, and prison will have a higher chance of something happening. For me, I don't want to think that just because I'm going to a family restaurant that nothing bad can happen. I could be sitting there and innocently glance past a table with a guy and his girl, and next thing I know, he's in my face, accusing me of looking at her.

I think its safe to say that you and I agree more than we disagree. :)

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey MJS :) Yes, I completely agree with these assertions. And but I guess the manner of BOTH person 1 and 2 above could be fitting to their own particular "street". I mean, when we feel safe, we can all at some time be person 1, no Likewise, if we always condition ourselves to act as person 2, might there be a chance that we become overconcerned with this notion of "the street" as a potentially dangerous place? The more I read of the responses - your own included - the more I see "the street" as a fluid idea that is not always static. It does not I think just depend upon the danger per se and but our perception of the danger. The question is then, does that mean everywhere we go we must assess every situation? We cannot perceive the danger if we are not actively looking for it, right? I am not sure. Can I ask, do you yourself ever let your guards down completely? Are you ever person 1 above? Thank you :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I'm home right, now, watching TV and posting on Martial Talk. I'm not looking over my shoulder, I'm relaxed, but not clueless :). If my doorbell were to ring, I know I'm not expecting anyone, so chances will be, that I'm not just going to walk to the door, open and see what happens. I'll look out the window first. I would probably put myself in Person 1 category long before I started training. I'll go out in a few to walk my dog. I live in a quiet condo complex. The odds of me getting mugged are probably pretty slim. Notice how I said Person 1 was totally clueless. When I'm out with the dog, I'm still relaxed, but I'm still aware. Now, should I jump in the car to go to the store or mall, then yes, I will be more aware due to the area. This isn't a bad area per se, but its a large area. The odds of something happening would be greater, than just walking around the block of my condo complex.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But, as Just2kickU said, 'the street' doesnt have to physically be the street, ie: Main St., College St, East St, etc., it can be any place where violence can happen. Some places such as bars, clubs, and prison will have a higher chance of something happening. For me, I don't want to think that just because I'm going to a family restaurant that nothing bad can happen. I could be sitting there and innocently glance past a table with a guy and his girl, and next thing I know, he's in my face, accusing me of looking at her.

I think its safe to say that you and I agree more than we disagree. :)

Mike
I think that the major difference in our thinking is in terminology. I view the street as an environ while you view it as a situation. Neither is wrong; when you say that the street rears its head in an unlikely place, I say that a threatening person or a criminal has reared their head in an unlikely place. We both mean the same thing, but are categorizing it differently.

Once again, of course we should not think that going to a familiy restaurant is automatically going to be trouble free. Family restaurants often serve alcohol, always have parking lots, and are public. Thus a drunk patron could start a fight in, you could be mugged in the parking lot of, and the Don of Crime may take his 'family' to Ruby Tuesdays.

I think that our awareness and observation of what is around us should always be exercised and we should be prepared for the worst. Realistically, even our homes are sometimes invaded and dojos can be robbed just as easily as any other business. I daresay that it is not the presence of all those nice white gis and black belts that makes this a a rarity, but the perceived lack of any substantive cash, such as one finds in a convenience store or liquor store.

At the same time, being aware that the threat level and liklihood is different from place to place does allow one to exercise common sense in where they choose to go with their family; while the potential for a drug lord to go to Ruby Tuesday's is there, most likely, he frequents different establishments, thus taking your family to Ruby Tuesday's a safer bet than taking them to, say, the Blue Oyster Bar.

Daniel

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Realistically, even our homes are sometimes invaded and dojos can be robbed just as easily as any other business. I daresay that it is not the presence of all those nice white gis and black belts that makes this a a rarity, but the perceived lack of any substantive cash, such as one finds in a convenience store or liquor store.
I do not want to interject inappropriately and but simply to corroborate tha for me, home and work were the two most frightening places and so I would completely agree with the potential for "the street" to encroach into almost any place or situation no matter how innocuous we would like to imagine it.

Likewise, our former dojo was continually bothered by a persistent bunch of anti-social youths who would do what they could to goad the class outside. These were the kind of folk to whom "the street" I imagine was not a place to be avoided and but rather a kind of proving ground for their skill with whatever they were carrying. And yes, in that case, gis are not particularly appropriate attire.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

sorry for the rant
Not a rant at all and thank you for your reply. That was exactly what I was wondering - how the perception of "the street" differed for each of us depending upon our circumstance, upbringing, social settings and all the other things and so thank you for elaborating :) To have had shootings at church, I guess you are responding to an actual bona fide need for protection rather than just a perception of the danger. I wonder do you think that you be exactly the same regarding your own protection and that of your family were you to find yourself in another, altogether more peaceful and less fraught town or part of the world?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not want to interject inappropriately
You never interject inappropriately.:) Besides, it is your thread.

...but simply to corroborate tha for me, home and work were the two most frightening places and so I would completely agree with the potential for "the street" to encroach into almost any place or situation no matter how innocuous we would like to imagine it.
As Broderick put it, geography and demographic can greatly affect the safety of the same set of environs for people in different areas. A home in South East DC has a different set of safety concerns than a home in Landsdowne, VA. Which is why a gang related murder in Landsdowne VA was all the more shocking.

Likewise, our former dojo was continually bothered by a persistent bunch of anti-social youths who would do what they could to goad the class outside. These were the kind of folk to whom "the street" I imagine was not a place to be avoided and but rather a kind of proving ground for their skill with whatever they were carrying. And yes, in that case, gis are not particularly appropriate attire.
Our old location had the occasional heckler. I still recall some kids coming in during one of my kendo classes yelling out, "Show me some kicks, Sensei." Another time, one of the same kids asked if I thought I could take him. I politely told them that there are no kicks in kendo, thus I had none to show them (I do, but it was the easiest way to nip it in the bud). I also asked, "take you in what? I teach a sword art." He just said, "Oh. My bad." And that was the end of it, thankfully. Funny, but the night he asked me that question was a night that we were gearing up for a cutting class and I actually had my nihonto with me.

In any case, a dojo is hardly immune to trouble from outside, and the kind that you mention is much more likely for a dojo than a robbery. But comparatively speaking, several hundred convenience stores will be robbed for every one dojo challenge, and that is being conservative.

Needless to say, one should be equally vigilant going from the car to the dojo as they are going from the car to the convenience store.

Daniel

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad Jenna,but it seems "the street" has permeated just about every facet of society (banks & even wallstreet ha!ha!). I live near the beach here in central Florida,it used to be semi safe,now it seems like this place is off the hook.Crime an everyday event,crackheads,methheads,home invasions,you name it.
Paranoid no,aware yes...

Latest Discussions