What exactly IS "The Street"?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an everyday person, the streets can be controlled to a point, by our involvement. We can choose where we go and who we hang with. Beside my full time job, I have several part time jobs that require a firearm. These part time jobs put a whole new light on the everyday mundane situations I find myself in. They put me into situations I normally would not be in, and create added stress. For me the streets have different meanings at different times. We could say that people are all the same, but once you put on a firearm with added authority, these same people act a whole let different toward me.

Last edited:

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
The street is the long stretch of pavement between two opposite curbs. I agree that the street is a dangerous place, and my mother always warned me about running out into the street. She was right. One never knows when a bus may be lurking around the corner ready to do you in.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you all for such insightful thoughts :) I will admit I have been both worried and disheartened by what I have read on the forums (not MT) and what I have heard among some of the teens that I would tutor in college evening classes... I would be worried that some interpretations of "the street" can lead to a dangerous complacency and perhaps a glorification. I do not understand the idea that "the street" is a kind of fantasy featuring an actual street in which the person responds to and takes on all-comers and from which they probably leave a wake of strewn bodies. This is like no reality outside of DVD that I could ever imagine.

And but I think there is another side to the coin whereby some (neighbours particularly) have put such a terrifying interpretation on "the street" as to leave them feeling they have a limited scope to lead normal lives, go anywhere or do anything without threat. I think the reality of what "the street" actually represents is somewhere in the middle???

I was checking the crime stats for my borough here (I have put them at the foot) and the fact is that in the borough, I and the forum hardmen and the young guys I teach motor basics and the older folk in my own neighbourhood we all have the same 97% chance of escaping violence and never having to deal with the threat of it. Though I am in the other 3%, I guess the figures are some consolation. And but my point really is that I think sometimes the facts are difficult do little to belie our long held perceptions of the dangers we actually face. Though I guess even in the one neighbourhood, one person's "street" is not another person's.

Thank you all again for your thoughts :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

12 months to March 09 (year)..........Camden....Met Total
Total Crimes..........................34,154....844,245
Homicide..............................2.........156
Violence Against the Person (Total)...6,009.....174,554
Rape..................................40........2,180
Other Sexual..........................157.......6,599
Robbery (Total).......................1,000.....32,524
Robbery (Person)......................918.......29,318
Robbery (Business)....................82........3,206
Burglary (Total)......................3,493.....93,528
Burglary Residential..................1,793.....59,155
Burglary Non-Residential..............1,700.....34,373
Gun Enabled Crime.....................48........2,168
Motor Vehicle Crime...................3,436.....107,857
Domestic Crime........................1,045.....53,069
Racist Crime..........................367.......9,539
Homophobic Crime......................69........1,117
Camden borough pop'n. ~198K

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The street is where all the rules go away.

Well, not all of them.

Street Rule #1: I win.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do agree completely with all the things mentioned about "The Street." But on the flip side of the coin, sometimes I feel the street is overhyped. Some people tend to go on about it, as if you're all of a sudden going to be surrounded by an army of Ninja Vampires, armed with machine guns, or something to that effect.
Most all the street fighters I've seen, just charge in with their head foward, and flail their arms around. And I don't mean to downplay street fighters by saying that, as they are without a doubt, dangerous. But there is a limit to what said street fighter can do, even without rules.
Right there you made an assumption about 'the street' that it's going to be a physical hand to hand fight with 'street fighters'.

The problem with 'the street' is that the variables expand to almost an infinite numbers. You may run in to a belligerent head-down drunk...The variables even change from street to street....if you live in some southwestern states you may run in to a Los Zetas death squad that has your house by mistake. We just don't know.

I think 'the Street' is that nebulous place where nightmares happen........the nightmares some people train for. Fortunately most of the time those nightmares are vast exaggerations of reality.......but every once in a while those nightmares get upstaged by reality!

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for such insightful thoughts :) I will admit I have been both worried and disheartened by what I have read on the forums (not MT) and what I have heard among some of the teens that I would tutor in college evening classes... I would be worried that some interpretations of "the street" can lead to a dangerous complacency and perhaps a glorification. I do not understand the idea that "the street" is a kind of fantasy featuring an actual street in which the person responds to and takes on all-comers and from which they probably leave a wake of strewn bodies. This is like no reality outside of DVD that I could ever imagine.

And but I think there is another side to the coin whereby some (neighbours particularly) have put such a terrifying interpretation on "the street" as to leave them feeling they have a limited scope to lead normal lives, go anywhere or do anything without threat. I think the reality of what "the street" actually represents is somewhere in the middle???

I was checking the crime stats for my borough here (I have put them at the foot) and the fact is that in the borough, I and the forum hardmen and the young guys I teach motor basics and the older folk in my own neighbourhood we all have the same 97% chance of escaping violence and never having to deal with the threat of it. Though I am in the other 3%, I guess the figures are some consolation. And but my point really is that I think sometimes the facts are difficult do little to belie our long held perceptions of the dangers we actually face. Though I guess even in the one neighbourhood, one person's "street" is not another person's.

Thank you all again for your thoughts :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

12 months to March 09 (year)..........Camden....Met Total
Total Crimes..........................34,154....844,245
Homicide..............................2.........156
Violence Against the Person (Total)...6,009.....174,554
Rape..................................40........2,180
Other Sexual..........................157.......6,599
Robbery (Total).......................1,000.....32,524
Robbery (Person)......................918.......29,318
Robbery (Business)....................82........3,206
Burglary (Total)......................3,493.....93,528
Burglary Residential..................1,793.....59,155
Burglary Non-Residential..............1,700.....34,373
Gun Enabled Crime.....................48........2,168
Motor Vehicle Crime...................3,436.....107,857
Domestic Crime........................1,045.....53,069
Racist Crime..........................367.......9,539
Homophobic Crime......................69........1,117
Camden borough pop'n. ~198K

Well, the street is a fantasy where you stand out in the road and take on all comers in a video game. That being said I wanted to reply to one of your other posts. First and foremost, all of the scenario based and technique based training, (for a lot of people if not most) goes straight out the window in the 'Street'. Here's why, because more than likely it is never going to go down the way that you see it going down in your head. It's not going to happen when you expect it to, or when you are at your most alert. They aren't looking for people that look confident, or can "carry" themselves. It's going to happen when you've had a really hard day at work, and really don't feel like fighting, (which should be never but you understand the point I think), it's when your not going to really be into it, when your at your most vulnerable. Because they are looking for people that are not confident, or have that downtrodden look, or have there hands full, because they are easy targets. You aren't going to react the way you envision yourself reacting, you aren't going to do the techniques you envisioned yourself doing. Because when it's for real, there is alot going on and alot you have to process, they have already done all of that. They know exactly what they want to do, and it's so simple, they only have to concentrate on hurting you. That's it. You have to decide if they are a threat, if they are, then what? If they attack you, your question is answered they are most definitely a threat. Then what level of response do you defend yourself with? Too much, you will fight the way you train. If in your class you train against a stick attack and you take the stick away and hand it back to your partner, guess what in the street that is what you will do. I heard a story a while back about a cop having a gun pulled on him, he took the gun away from the criminal, a clean disarm. Then proceeded to give it back and got shot twice for it. So that should tell you something. You just have to try to stay alert. Your main focus if you are caught in a "street" application, is to cause as much injury and damage to your attacker as is possible. Unless you can run, and I like running, its better than dying. But if you can't you incapacitate your attacker, and move on to the next guy if there is one. More than likely in the street there will be. THey like to travel in packs. :)

Just my opinion.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The street is a frightening and scary place where drugged out (PCP. Always PCP.) 250lb bikers constantly attack you with pro level MMA techniques. Some might even have knives.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The street is a frightening and scary place where drugged out (PCP. Always PCP.) 250lb bikers constantly attack you with pro level MMA techniques. Some might even have knives.
Yes, yes, and but that is the fantasy of the young men's martial forums. At the same time, for someone, at some point, that scenario or something not unlike it, may be their "street" reality, no? We train for "the street" we are most likely to encounter, right? What is "the street" for YOU yourself - is your neighbourhood peaceful? Are your encounters ever threatening? That is all I had been meaning to ask :) Apologies, I am not so great at expressing myself concisely, oops
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Absolutely! And don't forget the tats. They all have tats. And I even heard it told that some of them carry ballpean hammers in lieu of guns, because carrying guns, after all, is against the law for these guys.
icon12.gif

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, the street is a fantasy where you stand out in the road and take on all comers in a video game. That being said I wanted to reply to one of your other posts. First and foremost, all of the scenario based and technique based training, (for a lot of people if not most) goes straight out the window in the 'Street'. Here's why, because more than likely it is never going to go down the way that you see it going down in your head. It's not going to happen when you expect it to, or when you are at your most alert. They aren't looking for people that look confident, or can "carry" themselves. It's going to happen when you've had a really hard day at work, and really don't feel like fighting, (which should be never but you understand the point I think), it's when your not going to really be into it, when your at your most vulnerable. Because they are looking for people that are not confident, or have that downtrodden look, or have there hands full, because they are easy targets. You aren't going to react the way you envision yourself reacting, you aren't going to do the techniques you envisioned yourself doing. Because when it's for real, there is alot going on and alot you have to process, they have already done all of that. They know exactly what they want to do, and it's so simple, they only have to concentrate on hurting you. That's it. You have to decide if they are a threat, if they are, then what? If they attack you, your question is answered they are most definitely a threat. Then what level of response do you defend yourself with? Too much, you will fight the way you train. If in your class you train against a stick attack and you take the stick away and hand it back to your partner, guess what in the street that is what you will do. I heard a story a while back about a cop having a gun pulled on him, he took the gun away from the criminal, a clean disarm. Then proceeded to give it back and got shot twice for it. So that should tell you something. You just have to try to stay alert. Your main focus if you are caught in a "street" application, is to cause as much injury and damage to your attacker as is possible. Unless you can run, and I like running, its better than dying. But if you can't you incapacitate your attacker, and move on to the next guy if there is one. More than likely in the street there will be. THey like to travel in packs. :)

Just my opinion.

All well and good advice for the teenage sports MA competitor that thinks they're Jet Li, but for a large number of MAists their scenario training is done to create skills and instincts not because they think (or train) "Yeah, it's going to happen exactly like this, so I'm totally going to always be 100% prepared". I'm not sure where this mythology comes from that all technique/training goes out the window in a 'real' situation, but it's kinda ridiculous. If we all bought into that notion nobody would ever train in anything again, including the military, police, security professionals, etc. Your training does matter on the street, in reality. But yes, some 'street' training is better than others.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
The street to me is anywhere my life or safety is in danger outside theatres or war or combat or some sort of professional protection...

Pretty much were I would find myself most of the time.... car-work-atm-walking the dog-corner store-shopping mall etc....

Not everyones demographic/geographic area is the same...some are more harsh than others and violence is more common... for instance... I live in "city heights" san diego which is rich in bloodshed and othe dispicable acts... infact... someones head was blown off one day and the next day a mans throat was cut out all within a block from each other....

That doesnt mean that a man withdrawing 400.00 from an atm in beverly hills is "safe" just because the "streets" there are better kept than elsewhere....

Reaction score
I do agree completely with all the things mentioned about "The Street." But on the flip side of the coin, sometimes I feel the street is overhyped. Some people tend to go on about it, as if you're all of a sudden going to be surrounded by an army of Ninja Vampires, armed with machine guns, or something to that effect.
Most all the street fighters I've seen, just charge in with their head foward, and flail their arms around. And I don't mean to downplay street fighters by saying that, as they are without a doubt, dangerous. But there is a limit to what said street fighter can do, even without rules.
As I posted previously, most world class fighters just don't show up to randomly mug me on the street. So yeah I agree that sometimes "the street" is over-hyped. The majority of truly "over the top" encounters are often of our own making (ie if you don't want a dozen armed bikies to start shooting at you, don't get into fights with bikie gangs).

The street is the long stretch of pavement between two opposite curbs. I agree that the street is a dangerous place, and my mother always warned me about running out into the street. She was right. One never knows when a bus may be lurking around the corner ready to do you in.
Or a falling comet. People look left and right but they forget to look up.

Yes, yes, and but that is the fantasy of the young men's martial forums. At the same time, for someone, at some point, that scenario or something not unlike it, may be their "street" reality, no? We train for "the street" we are most likely to encounter, right? What is "the street" for YOU yourself - is your neighbourhood peaceful? Are your encounters ever threatening? That is all I had been meaning to ask :) Apologies, I am not so great at expressing myself concisely, oops
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna
Train awareness and cultivate common sense.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) I have seen this term "the street" used frequently in martial arts / SD discussions. And but I do not imagine that "the street" in reality will mean the same for us all. And so I am just wondering when you hear or read the term "the street", what does it mean or signify to you in the MA or SD context? eg. does it represent for you a place or a scenario or a situation? Is it hypothetical or is it real and likely?

I hope that makes sense. Thank you all :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I will warn you, this is a long post.

A lot of posters have defined "the street" as anywhere outside of the dojo or tournament. While I understand what is generally meant by that and when street vs. dojo comparisons come up, I personally consider this a gross over simplification. It implies a sustained and uniform threat level anywhere outside of the dojo.

Personally, I think that the term is way overused and overhyped.
I almost think that some guys imagine a deep, radio announcer’s voice run through several stages of echo and reverb uttering the words, “the street

So rather than simply come right out and say, “this is the street and you need to be ready for it because it can come and find you and bite you at any time, anywhere, and for any reason,” how about actually enumerating the different environs that one finds themselves in and discuss how they intersect with “the street” instead?

The Home: Most often the safest, most controlled environment. Violence or abuse issues in the home not withstanding, the home is a sanctuary from the outside world. The biggest risks are home invasions and burglaries which can penetrate that safety. No, this is not an example of “the street” coming to you (unless you are in a gang or some illegal profession that involves the street). This is an example of criminals coming to you.

The workplace: Nearly as controlled as the home environment, sometimes more so, the workplace is focused on keeping the workers working. Fisticuffs, harassment, threats, and overt malevolence can get people fired. People go to work to earn money. Bad behavior inhibits that. The biggest risk is similar to that of the home: robbery of the business, nutballs wanting to take hostages or the disgruntled employee who decides to shoot up the office. Uncommon, but it happens. Likewise, this is not “the street” coming to get you, but criminals.

The dojo: Like home and the workplace, the dojo is a controlled environment. The likelihood of being attacked outside of a training context is fairly low and there are mechanisms in place to keep things from getting out of hand. Your biggest risk is really training injuries. The dojo's only point of intersection with the street is the parking lot (see shopping malls below).

The friendly social event: Often an extension of home or the workplace. Generally, all involved are friends and the purpose of the gathering is friendly. Cook outs, religious services, picnics, kids’ little league games, coffee house performances, Tupperware parties, and martial arts demonstrations and tournaments all fall into this category. Generally the biggest threat is either a sports injury, a guest getting out of hand due to alcohol or a parent getting out of hand because he or she did not like the ref’s call and thinks that their kid was safe/scored the point/whatever. Such events generally are tame and not the place where partygoers get hammered. If the event is outdoors, it is at a park location designated for such things and there are a lot of people around who are friendly and disinclined to violence.

The shopping mall/grocery store/stand alone retail establishment: Probably the most dangerous place for the average person. The shopping mall or stand alone retail establishment has a parking lot that requires you to walk a good distance from your car to the establishment and they are open at night. Parking lots are rarely patrolled to any degree that makes them impervious to crime. Thus car jackings, kidnappings, purse snatchings, vehicular altercations, muggings and rapes all occur in parking lots. Often the victim is not aware due to being on the cell phone or focused on what they came in to buy. The victim feels safe, as it is after all, his or her favorite mall or trusted grocery store.

It is this environ where “the street” most often intersects with the lives of the average citizen.

The public venue: Large concerts, amusement parks, conventions, and stadiums all fall into this category. You have everything about the aforementioned parking lot, and it is amplified by the lot being of vast size and the venue often away from any sort of residential or built up area and people often leaving after dark.

In addition, you have the serving of alcohol, the presence of people from any and all walks of life, including gangs (hey, they like concerts and theme parks too, you know), ex cons, street toughs and thugs. Not to mention fans of rival teams that often wind up resembling gangs and are often drunk. There are way too many people for the security to effectively police.

This is a more dangerous proposition than the previous environs, mainly due to size and scale.

The Airport, train station buss terminal: Transients from all over the country or the world, massive parking lots with comparatively minimal security and people tense due to the stress of travel. All of the pitfalls of the large venues’ parking lot plus people who specifically target such places for kidnappings.

The social scenes: Night clubs, bars, raves, frat parties, large parties where partygoers party “hard” are all social scenes. I ranked these higher because they are more often frequented and often have the same security issues, but most importantly, they all involve alcohol after dark and are almost always in commercially zoned urban areas and are frequented by less desirable elements. “The street” is intermingled with these places, the only difference being the close at hand presence of some form of security (bouncers, guards) and a large public presence.

Biggest threats: armed partygoers, out of hand drunks, drugged up aggressive people, fights over who is dating whom, rival gangs, pick pockets, criminals and ex cons.

“The street”: Great Scot! It does exist! But what is it? Anywhere that is out of doors with no security or guaranteed public presence. Quite literally, “the street” is the streets of the city. This is, in fact, where the term came from. If you are a teen roaming or a person walking the dog or taking a moonlight stroll on the streets of suburbia at night, guess what, this is the street as well.

Muggers, armed robbers, gang members, board teens with too much time and not enough parental supervision, fleeing robbers or escaped cons who may or may not be getting chased by the police, criminals meeting at a neutral area to make the drop, gangs in cars out on a drive by shooting mission, cops patrolling their beat, citizens walking their dog, stray dogs, lovers on a stroll, lovers who like to ‘love’ in the outdoors, drunks who have left the party or bar, homeless people, and more are all the sorts of people you may encounter on “the street” particularly at night.

Biggest threat: robbery, assault, rape, murder. Mix it up with the wrong people and you could wind up injured or killed. Each and every bad encounter is the sort that would require police intervention. And when seconds count, the police are generally minutes away. Simple common sense can help you avoid a lot of problems on “the street” without any physical altercation. But not always.

And it is this unpredictability that makes the streets dangerous.

The wilderness: Walking on an interstate after your car ran out of gas, hunting, hiking in the woods, rock climbing, bouldering, safari are all the wilderness. Unpredictable, like the street, but there is absolutely zero chance of anyone witnessing what happens to you.

Biggest threats: exposure, animals, other bad guys in the wilderness, hunter’s stray bullets, injuries or medical conditions that may manifest. You just disappearing. The isolation is the biggest factor, which is the opposite of the street, where you do have at least a chance of getting help.

The badguys’ HQ: If you are not a bad guy, LEO, customer, aspiring bad guy, or mutant with super powers that make you a match for a bunch of guys with guns, you have no business being here. Walk into the badguys HQ and you can pretty much expect to exit in a body bag.

Bad guys HQ includes a literal bad guys HQ, such as a gang’s favored place of meeting, crack house, meth factory, secret back room where crime bosses meet, secure locations for black market deals, etc.
There is no security. Unless you are the cops, there is no police presence. There is no public to witness the bad guys being bad. Yes, the bad guys HQ is a step beyond the street. In fact, you are better off on the street.

The prison: I listed this last as it is the most dangerous place to be. Even though there is a police presence and the bad guys are caged, the bad guys outnumber the guards. Unless you are one of the guards, guess what? You are stuck there with the bad guys. This is kind of like the bad guys HQ, except that you cannot leave. The bad guys cannot leave. Since the bad guys are already in prison, they have less to lose; they no longer have to worry about maintaining the appearance of behaving in order to stay out. A guy who is in prison for life for murder has no reason to be gentle or to not kill you. Then there is the issue of prison rape.

My point is that every environ outside of the dojo is most definitely not the street. Some are less dangerous than the dojo and some are more dangerous than the street. The strategies needed for survival are going to differ. Much of the strategum one needs in most of these environs has very little to do with combat training. In fact, in many (definitely not all) cases, if you get to the point of having to use physical force to settle the the issue or effect escape, you have probably misstepped somewhere along the line before the encounter.

As Black Lion pointed out, different people face varying threat levels in all of their enviroments depending upon geography and demographic and need to adjust accordingly.

It goes without saying that awareness, preparedness, and common sense is key in all of these environs.

Lastly, my post is based on my experience and on observation. I have no news sources or statistics to support any percentages or statements like, most of the time or most often.

Daniel

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, yes, and but that is the fantasy of the young men's martial forums. At the same time, for someone, at some point, that scenario or something not unlike it, may be their "street" reality, no? We train for "the street" we are most likely to encounter, right? What is "the street" for YOU yourself - is your neighbourhood peaceful? Are your encounters ever threatening?
Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)

By your definition, I can't say I've felt physically threatened in a long time. Still keep my eyes and ears open though. The one time I was attacked, I was cutting through an elementary school's playground on a weekend. Random things can happen.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its opposite for me Daniel. I seem to have to establish my perimeter every time I leave the house. I had to do it 3 times last night in a matter of 30 minutes and I was just getting dog food and gas. Its not that I feel threatened its just I have to constantly negotiate my terms with my body language or verbally... most times they clearly see the big knife and or doberman and focus thier attention elsewhere.

There are allot of dealers, pimps, gangsters, convicts, pedofiles, rapists, murderes etc in my general vacinity. It doesnt look like a warzone but it is.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am fortunate to live in suburbia. In my youth, I used to go down town to the clubs and bars and encountered much of the same people. But I was able to leave and go back to the comfort of suburbia.

Very different. If you carry a large knife out here, even though it is legal, people look at you like you are some sort of menace and will call the cops. My area is all doctors, lawyers, school teachers, accountants, programmers, and various other white collar professions.

Growing up, everyone was a farmer. I am one of the few people who have lived in my area since 1970. Boy has it changed.

Daniel

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its opposite for me Daniel. I seem to have to establish my perimeter every time I leave the house. I had to do it 3 times last night in a matter of 30 minutes and I was just getting dog food and gas. Its not that I feel threatened its just I have to constantly negotiate my terms with my body language or verbally... most times they clearly see the big knife and or doberman and focus thier attention elsewhere.

There are allot of dealers, pimps, gangsters, convicts, pedofiles, rapists, murderes etc in my general vacinity. It doesnt look like a warzone but it is.
Hey BLACK LION :) Can I ask what you do to offset or mitigate any potential risk to you when you are out and about in your neighbourhood?
Thank you,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am fortunate to live in suburbia. In my youth, I used to go down town to the clubs and bars and encountered much of the same people. But I was able to leave and go back to the comfort of suburbia.

Very different. If you carry a large knife out here, even though it is legal, people look at you like you are some sort of menace and will call the cops. My area is all doctors, lawyers, school teachers, accountants, programmers, and various other white collar professions.

Growing up, everyone was a farmer. I am one of the few people who have lived in my area since 1970. Boy has it changed.

Daniel
So what is the street for you now, Daniel? Since your actual street is professional, neighbourly and discreet I would imagine, what are the situations that you might consider "street" in the pejorative sense that we normally understand the term to describe?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what is the street for you now, Daniel? Since your actual street is professional, neighbourly and discreet I would imagine, what are the situations that you might consider "street" in the pejorative sense that we normally understand the term to describe?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna
Quite literally, the street. Traffic around here is hideous and those pleasant white collar suburbanites can turn into road raging nut balls. Most of them drive SUV's too, so the only defense that I practice daily is defensive and evasive driving. I have a G5 GT which weighs hardly anything and will outrun and outmaneuver any SUV, truck, minivan, or other vehicle of choice for the suburbanite professionals and soccormoms.

I work in the city of Rockville, though it really is more like the burbs. I do have occasion to go into Washington DC, so I occasionally brush the urban streets.

For myself, the same axiom applies. The street is out of doors and with no clear security or public means of help. Walking through the neighborhood at night can be "the street" in the coloquial sense. People do get mugged, robbed, and sadly, even kidnapped and raped. It is rare in the area, but ever since the metrobus rout came out our way twenty years back and section 8 housing has lured some folks away from the city, such things have become more of a concern. We do have local 'bums' who can get beligerant.

Our schools, while still fairly safe, have had their brushes with gang activity, and my sons' high school was in lockdown last week due to a knife fight.

Daniel

Latest Discussions