Can YOU Be Beaten?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it prudent to admit there will always be an opponent capable of beating you?

Or does such an admission lessen your chances of defeating that opponent should you ever encounter him?

Thank you for reading :)
Always,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know about being prudent, but it is realistic that on a given day anybody can be beaten by anybody else. That works both ways, on any givend day you can beat anybody else. You won't know who will be able to beat you or who you'll be able to beat until after it happens. That's why the prudent thing to do, IMO, is to avoid that situation and make it a moot point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people can beat me but unless they killed me I'd come back when they weren't looking and hit them round the head with a baseball bat.

Seriously, old and sneaky beats young and fit everytime. In a fair fight I'd get beaten but, frankly, I wouldn't fight fair.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wining or getting beaten on, should never be an issue, and should never concern us through life. This thinking will only hinder our thought process. Clear mind= clear action.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wining or getting beaten on, should never be an issue, and should never concern us through life. This thinking will only hinder our thought process. Clear mind= clear action.

I tend to think though that if being attacked one should really try to win. The consequences of my not winning concern me quite a bit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There is always someone that is bigger or stronger or faster or better trained or luckier than you are… but it really doesn’t matter much.

With that said I think I will go have a cup of tea.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As my instructor says.

You should train to the point where when you enter into a fight, and you are beaten, your reaction should be one of utter and complete surprise.

Or, to put it into my own words: Train as if you are going to be at a disadvantage -- Fight as if victory was already yours.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
DAMN!!!

I just thought of this and I wish I had posted it first as my answer

"I Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice. I'll be too busy looking gooood."

:D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Or does such an admission lessen your chances of defeating that opponent should you ever encounter him?

Always,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Just because we train, that, IMO, does not mean that we're invincible. Anyone can be beat, and if there is someone out there who claims differently, I want to meet and train under this person. :)

So, to answer your question, I'm sure there're many out there who can get the better of me. When I have my training sessions, I always do my best to give 100%. I do my best to hopefully limit the possibilities of it. :D

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure you can...

That's why you should make avoidance your #1 priority.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Even the best of the best can be beaten.....NO one can prevent a false crack or hit from behind...

Guns and knives....very hard to defeat! ....If you are talking in a street fight?

Street fights have NO rules, anything goes, all things can be use as weapons around you, NO limits of attackers can join in against you anytime, especiallly from the back or kicking you when on the ground...

A lucky hit...anywhere can happen to you....happens in the class rooms many times...especially when sparring white belts...

Killer instincts= are people who DO NOT FEAR FOR THERE LIFE...
People who fear for there life? ....has loss from the beginning...STUDY THIS WELL!

Can you be beaten? .....here one fears for one self....NOT good!

Aloha, eggs can get beaten....sometimes better to fried or boil it...

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Refuse to play the win/lose game? Especially driven my macho ego of you has the biggest pen.

In tournaments - yup.

In real life where your life is on the line - possibility exists.

I agree with the above posts to limit that possibility by training for it.

I really like some of the sayings here:

Train like you might lose, fight like you already won.

Hitting people is fun.

Looking too good to notice.

You guys crack me up.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is most assuredly prudent to be aware that there are those who can beat you.

Likewise, like Angel said above, avoidance should always be a top priority to evade having to test the odds as often as possible.

I like Thardey's thumbnail aphorism on the subject too.

But does admitting that there are those who are more skilled or fight better than you a negative that would weigh upon the mind. I suppose that it could if you allowed it too. The major point to retain is that, in any serious fight, giving in to any form of despair is a losing strategy. So, acknowledging that you are no the God of War made flesh is not the same as failing to play whatever hand you have when the time comes.

It's always hard to extrapolate from your own real life experiences in a way that makes sense to others but, in my one and only 'real' fight, I did not go into it with the expectation of winning. There were three of them and there were weapons involved. But the mindset that got me through was that admitting that the odds were stacked against me was not the same as surrendering.

The only sure fire way to lose at anything is to give up.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score

Always,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Good question... and some good points as well here...

I am sure you already know my answer...I left behind the need to admit there is someone out there who is always "bigger , stronger, faster and able to beat me on any given day"...when I adopted the mindset and the training to be combative only in an asocial situation...
In the realm of violence, combat or simply whats "martial" you need to have a "superman complex" and the assertion to come out on top becuase you understand that second place loses his life....

In a social/antisocial setting ther always is a better fighter.... or a better competitior...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One would have to have a super ego to imagine that we cannot be beaten. Acknowledging that we are in danger and are at risk actually helps by making us more aware. If we walked into an altercation, thinking that we had already won, we are asking to be smacked. Yes we can all be beaten, but, depending on our training, we can increase our chance of surviving the encounter.
Then we also need to use judgement. If there is the opportunity of escaping the situation, or defusing it, without leaving us or our family and friends at risk, obviously we walk away.
Back me into a corner where being beaten is not an option ... the guy is in for the fight of his life, regardless of the outcome. :asian:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Anyone can be beaten. Anyone!!! Cause life isn't a 'fair fight'.

Admission of it? I think admitting it will actually help you win. Cause it will keep from getting a big head. And when the time comes for it to be real, you will fight with everything you have to survive.

Deaf

Latest Discussions