Can Karate Stand a Chance Against Aikido?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would not trust that. I would only trust a style that's been around for centuries or a style that's been developed from another style or styles that have been around for centuries.
You understand that cuts out pretty much everything. Right? Most styles. Even traditional styles, are less than hundred years old.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You understand that cuts out pretty much everything. Right? Most styles. Even traditional styles, are less than hundred years old.

Be that as they may they've got their roots in older styles that have been developed over hundreds, thousands of years.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Be that as they may they've got their roots in older styles that have been developed over hundreds, thousands of years.
You understand that every style has roots that are hundreds or thousands of years old. "Traditional" has nothing to do with originality or age. It's an aesthetic.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido. I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground. Like I said, I'm not an expert so I probably don't know the whole story on either fighting style. So can any of you help me answer this question? I would be very grateful! ^^

I personally am a fan of Karate and I'd like to think of it as an unbeatable sport! :D

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally am a fan of Karate and I'd like to think of it as an unbeatable sport! :D

Here is a math equation to show how your comment made me feel:

Sport + Karate =
download (4).jpg

Ps.
I am not a "fan" of sport karate.

Today's Te ain't got the same soul
I like that old time Karate-do.

Don't try to take me to a Sport show
You'll never even get me out on the floor

In ten minutes I'll be late for the door
I like that old time Karate-do
Ooh

Still like that old time Karate-do
That kind of kata just soothes the soul

Ooh
I reminisce about the days of old

With that old time Karate-do
Won't go to hear em play a tag-karate-oh

I'd rather hear some iron shoes or Makiwara-oh

There's only one sure way to get me to go
Start practicing that old time Karate-do

Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill
Today's sport karate ain't got the same soul
I like…

Last edited:
Reactions: JP3

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido. I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground. Like I said, I'm not an expert so I probably don't know the whole story on either fighting style. So can any of you help me answer this question? I would be very grateful! ^^
Please post a video of someone using aikido in a real combat situation defeating anybody.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please post a video of someone using aikido in a real combat situation defeating anybody.
So if there's not a video online that means it's never happened? A real combat situation. So a fight? You do know most street fights aren't filmed right there's been billions of fights this year alone world wide and maybe a couple hundred make it online

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That can go the opposite way too. Many styles began as effective combat systems only to atrophy over time into rigid and stale aproximations of themselves.

Not to say there isn't combat effective versions of almost any traditional martial art, but many get passed from master to student over generations where no real combat is involved anymore, where many of the 'whys' and 'hows' of practical application are lost and forgotten.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So if there's not a video online that means it's never happened? A real combat situation. So a fight? You do know most street fights aren't filmed right there's been billions of fights this year alone world wide and maybe a couple hundred make it online
You are hilarious. No, none of that. I'd just like to see one.

Edit - street fight, open sparring in the gym, tournemant, mma. Anything really. I'm not an aikido hater, I am just honestly interested in seeing the real stuff.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20 years, Drop? I mean, I spent 5, but still. There are better careers out there.

How do you become a bouncer?

Fail at everything else.

I work in a bottleshop now.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you become a bouncer?

Fail at everything else.

I work in a bottleshop now.
OK.... but I don't know what a "bottle shop" is. A place that sells empty bottles? A liquor store? I admit, I've no idea.f

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Err, that seems to be an unskilled brawl
You didn't ask for a skilled brawl, you asked for a real combat situation. Which is what you got. Yes it was ugly, but that is the nature of real combat.

The little insert of the aikido guy wasn't even close to the same move.
You didn't ask for the same move, you asked for Aikido. Which is what you got.

Clearly any evidence which presented you will find some reason as to why it isn't valid so that you don't have to accept it. Which suggests presenting evidence is pointless.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I fought a dragon once. Just because it wasn't on you tube are people going to say it didn't happen?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK.... but I don't know what a "bottle shop" is. A place that sells empty bottles? A liquor store? I admit, I've no idea.f

I sell liquor.

I refer to myself as a beer wrangler.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You didn't ask for a skilled brawl, you asked for a real combat situation. Which is what you got. Yes it was ugly, but that is the nature of real combat.

You didn't ask for the same move, you asked for Aikido. Which is what you got.

Clearly any evidence which presented you will find some reason as to why it isn't valid so that you don't have to accept it. Which suggests presenting evidence is pointless.

So then in a real combat situation aikido people don't actually use aikido? Because that wasn't aikido. That was a poorly executed wrestling hip toss while the other guy stumbled over himself.

Yes, I would accept evidence. It would look like a guy doing something recognisably aikido on an opponent that is fighting back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then in a real combat situation aikido people don't actually use aikido? Because that wasn't aikido. That was a poorly executed wrestling hip toss while the other guy stumbled over himself.

Yes, I would accept evidence. It would look like a guy doing something recognisably aikido on an opponent that is fighting back.
What you're hoping to see won't be easy to see. If the other guy is fighting back against the technique, the principles that make Aikido look like Aikido won't be in use. And most Aikido techniques can be applied without that subset of principles. On top of that, Aikido in the dojo uses movements designed to work with the falls uke uses (to help protect uke) - the guy in the street won't use those falls, so the technique will finish differently. Thus, the result will often not "look like" Aikido, if you are comparing it to what Aikido looks like in the dojo.

Latest Discussions