Can Karate Stand a Chance Against Aikido?

Pikaboy777

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido. I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground. Like I said, I'm not an expert so I probably don't know the whole story on either fighting style. So can any of you help me answer this question? I would be very grateful! ^^

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido.
Before that can be answered you need to decide what criteria you are using to define how someone wins or loses.

Scoring points?
Breaking limbs?
Ring/Octogon control?
Pummelling them into whimpering pile of snot in the middle of the street?

OP
P

Pikaboy777

White Belt
Reaction score
Before that can be answered you need to decide what criteria you are using to define how someone wins or loses.

Scoring points?
Breaking limbs?
Ring/Octogon control?
Pummelling them into whimpering pile of snot in the middle of the street?
....I didn't even think about that. ^^; Well, I guess it would be the case of fighting until one of the fighters is unable to continue. Basically the last choice you said but not as drastic.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground.
That's because what you are watching are demonstrations, not fights or sparring matches. In a demo, the outcome is pre-determined. When Aikido practitioners put on a demo, it will show Aikido techniques prevailing every time.

When TKD practitioners put on a demo, it will be TKD techniques which prevail in the depicted scenario. It's just that the people choreographing such things don't cast an Aikido practitioner as the bad guy attacker who gets defeated because Aikido isn't really about attacking. (Theoretically you could choreograph a TKD demo where the TKD practitioner attacks and beats up a defending Aikido practitioner, but the convention in demos is for the art to be presented as a form of self-defense, not as a way to mug people.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
....I didn't even think about that. ^^; Well, I guess it would be the case of fighting until one of the fighters is unable to continue. Basically the last choice you said but not as drastic.

Yep. And after you determine the rules by which the match will be fought, you have to figure out how you will determine how you will pick two martial artists that are evenly matched. Not easy any time, but especially when trying to compare striking arts against grappling arts. And what type of Karate are you talking about? Some of them have a lot of grappling.

When you are watching a demo, as described by Tony Dismukes, you can't expect the same thing in a free technique-use confrontation. Then how do you account for who might be having a good day against the other who may be a little better, but having a bad day.

Bottom line, there really isn't much to gain from attempting to compare one martial art against another.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have sparred karate guys. They can be tough to deal with.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think, as a striker, you can get to a point where the novices can't touch you, then you can employ aikido all day long, while they stumble around; so, it would make perfect sense an aikido guy can get to that point, as well. However, I was always taught aikido was a luxury of mastering a striking art. I am not saying pure Aikido can't be done, but it will be very difficult.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are No Touch MAs the top of the food chain in MA?

How do stop chi balls thrown across the room?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think, as a striker, you can get to a point where the novices can't touch you, then you can employ aikido all day long, while they stumble around; so, it would make perfect sense an aikido guy can get to that point, as well. However, I was always taught aikido was a luxury of mastering a striking art. I am not saying pure Aikido can't be done, but it will be very difficult.

Back in the 60s, I remember being told about a martial art in Japan that was a defense against the other martial arts. A few had heard of it, but nobody seemed to know its name. Was it Daiito Ryu, Aikido perhaps, I don't know. In the popular mind, everything was either Karate or Kung Fu.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing can hold up to Aikido.
Thank you for paying attention, and welcome to the dark side. Your red glowing... Uh, you pick, is in the rack in the back, next to my green one.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate beats everything and anything. Everyone knows that. The people who don't train in karate wish they could, but don't because they know they'll be killing machines that can't be stopped, so they're afraid and don't train it. Basically, they know they'll be the Terminator. Some, such as myself embrace this while others are simply too scared and avoid it altogether.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate beats everything and anything. Everyone knows that. The people who don't train in karate wish they could, but don't because they know they'll be killing machines that can't be stopped, so they're afraid and don't train it. Basically, they know they'll be the Terminator. Some, such as myself embrace this while others are simply too scared and avoid it altogether.
The Fight Man's Burden....:smuggrin:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido.

Aikido has a very poor track record in real fights. Fighting is not their focus, so that makes perfect sense.

Pepsiman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think a better question to ask is "Can Aikido stand a chance against Karate?". I'll say that Aikido is a beautiful and technical art, but it's only been developed for defending against undisciplined thugs and brawlers, which it does well. It's not really meant for offense, or going against other styles, nor does it translate well into MMA. I've seen plenty of videos of Aikido practitioners getting throttled by other martial artists.

Latest Discussions