Can Karate Stand a Chance Against Aikido?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh for god sake how much more of this nonsense is there going to be on this forum this week......a karate guy can beat an aikido guy and an aikido guy can beat a karate guy. It depends on the fighter and the circumstance. You don't see an aikido guy getting hit because it's rare to see a real aikido fight. Mostly it's all demos where the partner throws themselves to the floor when touched. That or Steven segal movies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, name one competitive aikido fighter? It's a art with pacifism at its core, not known for producing fighters.
Hey don't forget the legend Steven segal best fighter in the world who taught Anderson silva and lyoto machida how to throw a front kick....that's sarcasm by the way lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh for god sake how much more of this nonsense is there going to be on this forum this week......a karate guy can beat an aikido guy and an aikido guy can beat a karate guy. It depends on the fighter and the circumstance. You don't see an aikido guy getting hit because it's rare to see a real aikido fight. Mostly it's all demos where the partner throws themselves to the floor when touched. That or Steven segal movies.
A jow ga guy can beat anyone. So all other arguments don't matter. I once beat up aikido, karate, judo, bjj, boxing, wrestling, fencing, ninjas, and a HEMA guy with a sword, and a TKD guy in less than 20 seconds. The TKD guy attacked me first so I grabbed his kick and swung him around and used his body to beat up the HEMA guy. The TKD guy got stuck on the HEMA Guy's sword so I used that to take out the HEMA guy. I then used the Sword to finish off the fencing guy. Right about that time the BJJ laid on his back and invited me to get on the ground and while I was about to beat up the BJJ guy the wrestler grabbed me from behind and I body slammed him on the BJJ guy. The others ran away so I guess you can say that I technically didn't fight all of them lol.

Hopefuly this will clear up any question of who is the best. lol.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido. I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground. Like I said, I'm not an expert so I probably don't know the whole story on either fighting style. So can any of you help me answer this question? I would be very grateful! ^^
On a internet place like this -as you can see for your self- the answer to this question almost entirely depend up on who you ask :) Good luck

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I'm not an expert in martial arts (I'm pretty much a total novice) but I always wanted to know if a offensive-based martial art, like Karate and Taekwondo, is capable of lasting or even defeating a fighter that uses Aikido. I've seen a few YouTube videos of Aikido in action and, so far, I've noticed the Aikido practitioner barely takes any hits from a fighter who used Taekwondo. In fact, almost every attempt the Taekwondo fighter made ends up with him being in a joint lock or on the ground. Like I said, I'm not an expert so I probably don't know the whole story on either fighting style. So can any of you help me answer this question? I would be very grateful! ^^

Too many variables:

Which type of karate?

Which type of aikido?

How good is the karateka at his/her style of karate?

How good is the aikidoka at his or her style of aikido?

Why are they fighting? What motivation is theirs?
Is it:
Money? Ego?
A parking space?
A bad haircut? Who gave the haircut?

A family member being held hostage, and who could be killed if they don't fight?

Was the fight on a Friday or Saturday night... or first thing Monday morning?

I need more details then what you have presented.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can an Aikido guy be able to apply a "joint lock" on a TKD guy if that TKD guy just kicks and never throws a single punch?

One way would be to, as TKD guy kicks lift-block the kicking leg/foot (sometimes hard to do, but not always), causing loss of balance, perhaps a fall. Often times when people fall who are not expecting to do so/untrained, their arms flail. If you are in the right area, you can latch on and as they hit the ground, attach lock.

I know this, as I've done it, but not often as the kicker has to take an ugly side fall from what amounts to a split-stretch.

Get offline, to the back side of a side kick or round kick anywhere above mid-thigh, hook/lift the foot (which can be a really dick move if the other guy isn't aware you're considering that fair game), he tilts, nearly always falls. If you do it explosively they always fall in my experience. Say they did it witht heir right foot, you hook with your right hand, lift, they fall. Even when trained the right hand is exposed for grasping/grappling at that point. You've just got to get the good grip, and execute your submission before they regain their snap/mental focus. Pretty much the same time frame you've got if you just got a good throw on someone and are sinking in the choke/lock/holddown while they are jarred from impact.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read what I wrote above, and that totally sounds like Goshin-jutsu from judo. Which it is, but there's one in aikido as well. Ours at least, since Tomiki was involved in th creation of that kata as I remember. I think that's right.

So, maybe judo can beat a karate guy, but aikido can't. Jury is still out.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

If you're basing your knowledge of aikido of those hilarious drill demonstrations, then aiki-man will have his a s s beat.

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe that if both are beginners, the Karate guy would win. If very advanced, probably the Aikido guy, but I'm not sure.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

It depends on the person not the art. That's been said time and time again and is well known among the experts but since you're a novice as you point out yourself I will explain. The videos you've seen might've been those of a really good Aikido practitioner up against a so so Taekwondo practitioner. If it was the other way around where you've got a really good Taekwondo practitioner up against a so so Aikido practitioner than the Taekwondo practitioner would win.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends on the person not the art. That's been said time and time again and is well known among the experts but since you're a novice as you point out yourself I will explain. The videos you've seen might've been those of a really good Aikido practitioner up against a so so Taekwondo practitioner. If it was the other way around where you've got a really good Taekwondo practitioner up against a so so Aikido practitioner than the Taekwondo practitioner would win.

So an art i have just invented is as good as an art someone else has actually put some effort into.

That doesn't make sense.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So an art i have just invented is as good as an art someone else has actually put some effort into.

That doesn't make sense.

That would depend. What is your experience prior to inventing your art? What prior style or styles is your art based on?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would depend. What is your experience prior to inventing your art? What prior style or styles is your art based on?

I spent 20 years bashing dudes in pubs. It is not based on any prior styles though.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can an Aikido guy be able to apply a "joint lock" on a TKD guy if that TKD guy just kicks and never throws a single punch?

I guess you are kind of assuming the same rules as seen in the video. Then one could make the argument that arms were off limits. But as Paul_D pointed out, legs have joints too, and also pressure points. Even if you have rules that limit you to kicks only, a kick to the inside of the thigh of the leg an opponent is throwing at you will essentially cripple that leg, making it difficult to stand (unless of course he has been watching that training film, "The Karate Kid." ;-)

But really, I would not agree to a fight against a TKD or Karate opponent where I could use only my kicks, and using kicks to pressure points would be off limits. To me that would be foolishness.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spent 20 years bashing dudes in pubs. It is not based on any prior styles though.

I would not trust that. I would only trust a style that's been around for centuries or a style that's been developed from another style or styles that have been around for centuries.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would not trust that. I would only trust a style that's been around for centuries or a style that's been developed from another style or styles that have been around for centuries.

Why does the style matter? What if you trained really hard in my style. Shouldn't that give you the same result?

Latest Discussions