Bowling Using The Martial Arts!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple friends dragged me off bowling yesterday and within a few frames it suddenly occured to me why I never go bowling. I was in last place and I felt as if my shoes were sticking. I was about to just keep on going never breaking one hundred when I thought that I may as well test a theory. I decided to just stand in a right foot forward fighting stance while holding the ball in my right hand. I let the ball swing back behind me and once it reached its apex, I switched my footing to a left foot forward fighting stance in place. I swear to God I started throwing strikes and picking up spares. I might go pro!:ultracool
Sean

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keeping a good stance, and being able to do the same thing exactly the same way every time works great, doesn't it. I noticed it, too, though I was throwing darts.
Bullseye!

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had used the arrows in bowling to aim my whole life. My buddy asked me which dots I was aimimg for; I said, "Dots?... what dots!?!" It turns out there are dots right up front! Now I can just stand right out there switch in place and hand that ball to the dots every time. I shall own my friends here next week, and soon... who Knows?
Sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another story of a martial artist lost to the world of bowling once the secrets are learned:flammad:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which goes to show that principles of movement transcend across all facets of life. It's like training MA 24/7, very cool.
icon7.gif

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i applied kiba dachi to ice skating.....learning to cross one foot over the other while standing still ( walking side ways).

and I taught my nidan that it works well for both activities. i told him that its important to keep your weight and gravity centered not to lean to far forward or 2 far back. He said he didnt know that =]

Martial arts moves and stances can be used in every day life. :angel:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I decided to just stand in a right foot forward fighting stance while holding the ball in my right hand. I let the ball swing back behind me and once it reached its apex, I switched my footing to a left foot forward fighting stance in place. I swear to God I started throwing strikes and picking up spares...
Hey, that's called bowling. Bowlers just do it moving forward not standing in place.:rofl:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not this bowler. Why not just throw it from standing in place? Is there a rule?
Sean
No, no rule, but just like Martial Art's there is a reason they don't just stand still, it’s called "momentum". You get more force out of the ball into the pins by using your forward momentum. Thus the pin action will be increased. In other words it is the best possible form for the task at hand.

Standing still is one way to develop your hand position and ball release. Kids learn this way, but you won't bowl in the high 200's until you put it all together.

However my OP was in jest. It was not to be taken seriously. Sorry.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, no rule, but just like Martial Art's there is a reason they don't just stand still, it’s called "momentum". You get more force out of the ball into the pins by using your forward momentum. Thus the pin action will be increased. In other words it is the best possible form for the task at hand.

Standing still is one way to develop your hand position and ball release. Kids learn this way, but you won't bowl in the high 200's until you put it all together.

However my OP was in jest. It was not to be taken seriously. Sorry.
I will be happy with high 100s. LOL I noticed less momentum, but I doubt kids learn by switching in place.
Sean

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will be happy with high 100s. LOL I noticed less momentum, but I doubt kids learn by switching in place.
Sean
Yes you are correct. They just stand in place. High 100's are great.

We all just went bowling and I can't believe I bowled a 158. My Sabumnim bowled a 229.
icon9.gif
Yeah I lost. Oh well. My 158 was my best so far.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's interesting. I suck at bowling too, always used the arrows, not the dots. However, I KICK *** at Wii Bowling! LOL! High game is 290, yeah baby! Real bowling? Average of about 110. Ack. I'd be very happy with even mid 100's in real bowling.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. They just stand in place. High 100's are great.

We all just went bowling and I can't believe I bowled a 158. My Sabumnim bowled a 229.
icon9.gif
Yeah I lost. Oh well. My 158 was my best so far.
I bowled a 163 when I was in high school and have never done it again. In the Army I once bowled a 154. Now I really suck, but I have a plan!
Sean

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I went the other way. I started bowling when I was 12, had to give it up when I came down with arthritis. I started martial arts right after that.

Latest Discussions