How my understanding stances can makes me a better fighter.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wondering -- if you were outnumbered, and couldn't see an immediate escape route, would it be best to stay on your feet, but keep moving, dodging, parrying until you could create an escape route? (I'm imagining aikido here, I suppose.)
Truthfully, at that point you're pretty much screwed. Nevertheless, the question isn't "is the added mobility of being able to stay on your feet good?" I was responding to the claim that "being on the ground is bad because your opponents friends might join in." Well, crap, if they'll join in when you're on the ground then they'll join in when you're standing or clenched. "Other people might join in" is NOT an argument against newaza. At best "other people might join in" is just an observation.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited by a moderator:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. It was a comparison vs staying on the feet. I am at a point in my training where I prefer grappling over striking (not the case a couple of years ago) but I can't defend/run away as well if I'm on the ground.
Sure you can. You just have to do it differently.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And 94% of statistics are made up ;) That is why is said "most." My reference actually comes from a friend of mine who is one of the top criminal investigators in the country.
And what statistic is your friend citing? Or is it just "in his personal experience?"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do need to be able to move and attack in three dimensions.

You can't just be attacking going forwards and defending going backwards.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And 94% of statistics are made up ;) That is why is said "most." My reference actually comes from a friend of mine who is one of the top criminal investigators in the country.

A friend of mine, who is one of the top criminal investigators in the country, says you're wrong.

There. Unsupported appeals to anonymous authority from opposite sides, so they're both canceled.
Of course, they were pretty much worthless anyway.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you determine who the top criminal investigators in the country are, anyway? How do you compare investigators working in different jobs in different departments across the nation? Do they have investigation Olympics, where they turn Carmen Sandiego loose in random city and see who can find her the fastest?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you determine who the top criminal investigators in the country are, anyway? How do you compare investigators working in different jobs in different departments across the nation? Do they have investigation Olympics, where they turn Carmen Sandiego loose in random city and see who can find her the fastest?
It's still a BULL CRAP claim. No one has any frick'n clew how many fights do or do not actually go to the ground because no one has any reliable statistics on it.

Do some fights go to the ground? Yes.

Is it a bunch? Maybe.

Should you train for that possibility? I think you should.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's sort of the point. There's really no such person.
It's sort of like posting a bunch of logos on your web site when you don't actually have any connection with those groups.
I consider the Appeal to Anonymous Authority (especially when no such authority exists) to be just another way of stomping your foot on the floor and saying "because I said so!"

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I consider the Appeal to Anonymous Authority (especially when no such authority exists) to be just another way of stomping your foot on the floor and saying "because I said so!"
This. It is clearly an Appeal to Authority. What the heck special, inside information does "criminal investigator" give about FIGHTING? OK, he's an "authority" on investigations. But that doesn't necessarily mean jack about being an authority on something outside of the bounds of investigating, such as, well, fighting.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting enough though I think all fighting involving cops have a tendency to end up on the ground. :cool:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting enough though I think all fighting involving cops have a tendency to end up on the ground. :cool:
There have actually been some studies on that. Those studies, most notably the Dossey study, clearly indicate that "going to the ground" is common, even prevalent, in police arrests, which isn't even close to "all fights."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The goal in those conflicts is specifically to subdue the bad guy and get them in a position to be cuffed and taken into custody.
It's not totally unreasonable to extrapolate from a random sample to the general. It is totally unreasonable to extrapolate from a specific sample to the general.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The larger the sample, the better, of course.

Not necessarily. Sticking with the example used, sampling 100% of all LEO-involved altercations still doesn't give you any basis for extrapolating results to the general population.