Where are they now?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this bio about Phil Rhee

http://www.junchongtkd.com/Instructor_Bios.php

I heard that he has always kept a relationship with his Jun Chong. Hever never went Hollywood.
Hopefully he will make more movies.

His brother Simon still owns a school in L. A. Unfortunately, because Phillip wrote, directed & starred in the BOTB movies, I doubt the rest of Hollywood will see him as someone that they "need to have." He pegged himself as a guy who wants to do it all himself. Unless he comes up with another sellable idea, I doubt we'll see much of him onscreen.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
His brother Simon still owns a school in L. A. Unfortunately, because Phillip wrote, directed & starred in the BOTB movies, I doubt the rest of Hollywood will see him as someone that they "need to have." He pegged himself as a guy who wants to do it all himself. Unless he comes up with another sellable idea, I doubt we'll see much of him onscreen.

Simon is definitely doing well for himself as a school owner and stuntman/actor.

Now that you mention it, since Phil pretty much did everything himself, he probably was smart enough to own a piece of that franchise. So he might not even need to work.

If Van Damme and Seagal still have a career, I am sure he can too.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If Van Damme and Seagal still have a career, I am sure he can too.

I disagree. I think (and I may be wrong) that the general "non martial arts" public don't know who Phillip is. Now, I think the same general "non martial arts" public do know who JCVD and Seagal are, and have seen their movies. Big difference in my opinion.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. I think (and I may be wrong) that the general "non martial arts" public don't know who Phillip is. Now, I think the same general "non martial arts" public do know who JCVD and Seagal are, and have seen their movies. Big difference in my opinion.

That's true, however he can still eke out a living from the martial arts community even if it is just the TKD/Korena martial art community. Those are huge market shares.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be sure, both Phillip & Simon seem like solid stand-up guys. There are worse things in Hollywood than not finding it's version of "success." Sometimes, finding Hollywood success isn't a good thing.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's true, however he can still eke out a living from the martial arts community even if it is just the TKD/Korena martial art community. Those are huge market shares.

I agree. I didn't mean to sound like I was putting Phillip down. I just don't think he's anywhere near as "famous" (in the eyes of the general public) as the other two guys.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know little about TKD, but I remember him well from the first BOTB movie. That was great stuff.

Looking at the instructor bios, I have to admit that Rila's bio was a little funny to me. She apparently got her black belt at 11 and began teaching at 13. According to my math, she's 16 or 17 now and has competed in "over 8 tournaments." What the heck does that mean?

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I didn't mean to sound like I was putting Phillip down. I just don't think he's anywhere near as "famous" (in the eyes of the general public) as the other two guys.

I completely understand where you are coming from. If you say the other two guys names out loud and people's ears perk up. A smaller group would know who Phil Rhee is. The reality is that he would have a harder time to stage a comeback

I know little about TKD, but I remember him well from the first BOTB movie. That was great stuff.

Looking at the instructor bios, I have to admit that Rila's bio was a little funny to me. She apparently got her black belt at 11 and began teaching at 13. According to my math, she's 16 or 17 now and has competed in "over 8 tournaments." What the heck does that mean?

That is what makes TKD so superior to other martial arts since it is designed for even young children to become blackbelts and....

I'm joking. It is a joke.

It is possible she is that talented. However, I remember at my old school it was not uncommon for the black belt to be held back for kids until they at least got into high school.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I completely understand where you are coming from. If you say the other two guys names out loud and people's ears perk up. A smaller group would know who Phil Rhee is. The reality is that he would have a harder time to stage a comeback

No disrespect intended but I have been in MA for close to 40 years (part of that TKD) and I don't know who Phil Rhee is, but I do know who JCVD and Seagal are. Could the reason be that I am on the East (Right) Coast, not the West (Left) coast?

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect intended but I have been in MA for close to 40 years (part of that TKD) and I don't know who Phil Rhee is, but I do know who JCVD and Seagal are. Could the reason be that I am on the East (Right) Coast, not the West (Left) coast?

And you call yourself a martial artist? To Net Flix you go.
Once you watch the glory of Phil Rhee you will know.
Know what? I hve no idea. But you will know something.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's another one for you.

Loren Avedon.

His demo reel.

Awhile back I saw the video box for King of the Kickboxers. But I never got around to watch it. He is actually a former student of Phil Rhee and Jun Chong.

He has also fought the Hoff.

The story about him and Lamas is pretty eye opening.

Latest Discussions