Shoes for Martial Arts

OP
F

FunkyDemon

White Belt
Reaction score
FunkyDemon,

Part of the reason why many places that might allow shoes, don't allow "street shoes" is because many a "street shoe" has a sole that can marr the dojo floor surface. I don't mind sweeping and mopping off the hardwood surface once in a while, especially since any normal marks easily disappear, but cleaning off shoe marks is a PITA.

Once in a while, the maintenance guy will need to walk on the floor, to change light bulbs, etc., and it takes a good effort to get the markings out, especially since he also uses a rubber-footed ladder.

Even though I advocate training in bare feet for the purposes of conditioning one's feet and legs better, I do understand why people sometimes train in shoes.

Some dojos are located in areas where the floor isn't exactly clean, and where even slight tears in the skin could result in a nasty infection indeed. This is especially true in places that are located in damp climates, and use wooden floors.

Other times, the individual in question, might be having problems with the feet, such as cracking skin, horrible blistering (that goes way beyond even the worst of workout-induced ones), or those who may be diabetic and have foot problems, could certainly benefit from footwear.

That was street shoes as in the same shoes you where outside, not a particular type of shoe (a cleanliness issue). Our floor is painted concrete and not always the cleanest. Marks aren't an issue. When it gets really bad and or starts peeling he repaints it (which he will be doing soon). He is also getting new mats that will cover most of the floor. I for one can't wait for the mats, not because of my feet but because of my back.

We are not given an option, shoes are a requirement.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wear cross trainers. They give good cusioning, as well as lateral stability. Running shoes don't have lateral stability, and you can roll your ankle.

The problem with some of the Martial Arts shoes is that they don't have much, or any, arch support, and this can lead to fallen arches, not somthing you want to develop. Those shoes are OK for things like performances, because they are light and you can move faster, but for long term training, get somthing with good arch support, good cusioning, and lateral stability.

OP
F

FunkyDemon

White Belt
Reaction score
Well after talking to the Sifu today I will look into some cross-trainers. He thinks the wrestling shoe or bare foot will be the way to go for the new MMA class, but for the normal class they just don't have enough of a sole.

variance

White Belt
Reaction score
Puma has a entire line of martial arts shoes that I like both for everyday use and for sparring and class.

IMHO they are better looking than Addidas' TKD shoes.

600146.jpg

181239-05.jpg
1733-126319-d.jpg

teaser.jpg
gross.gif

I actually have three pairs of the UKEs in different colors
one for practice/class, one for every-day stuff and one for abuse.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use some "vans" skating shoes, which are very comfortable. The cross-trainers I used to wear were too bulky, and didn't have enough support on the bottom.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my class last night my Sifu was recommending that I replace my current shoes. Currently I am wearing my old Adidas TKD Martial Art shoes, but he feels they don't provide enough support or cushioning.

So what type of shoe should I get? Running, Cross-Training, Basketball, some other kind of Martial Art shoe, other? The class is Kick Boxing and Hung Gar. He is right in that my feet are often sore after class, most often the balls of the feet, and last night one foot was getting sore on top from some kicks.
I've had good success with Addidas Samba, Converse Chuck Taylor & Vans Bucky Lasek. All have a flat sole & handle stance training well.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend either asics or adidas wrestling boots or for a pure martial arts shoe discipline make an excellent shoe. Don't go the cheap option as your shoes will only fall apart. My old instructor trying to appear altruistic(something he was definitelt not) gave a number of students a pair of adidas martial art shoe copies from Bali. We used to do a 7 minute run before class which involved squat kicks and sit ups at opposite ends of the dojo running inbetween. I used to feel like vomitting after each session and after one week the sole on one of the cheap shoes had almost come off. Good shoes shoe last a couple of years atleast.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where can I get a size 11 in those Pumas?? I was also looking at the Arashi as well that look similar to these. Are these Pumas pretty good to use for training?

empty cup

White Belt
Reaction score
I use some "vans" skating shoes, which are very comfortable. The cross-trainers I used to wear were too bulky, and didn't have enough support on the bottom.

I second this. I have also had good luck with vans skate board shoes. They seem to be just "grippy"enough. I also have a pair of Adidas TKD shoes. I like that they are quite good for pivot moves or any kind of foot sliding moves, but yeah they lack of arch support and thin soles can be hard to take. Fei Yue Made in China Wu Shu shoes are very comfortable and cheap ( $15.00 on Amazon). The only problem with them is that the sole can be a little to "grippy"

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I was going to recommend the Otomix brand traditional martial art shoe, but it sounds like you've been there, done that, and need more support and cushion that those provide. That will also eliminate any of the standard wrestling shoes as well (identical support and soles).

What i would suggest is an actual 'tennis' shoe. I wear a couple of different brands myself. Wilson makes quite a few versions that have phenomenal support, are quite light-weight, non-marring soles, and come in almost pure white (if you wear a traditional white uniform/gi/dobok etc). Prince, also makes a very similar line. Both of those brands I've found in the $20-30 range, so they're under half of what most of the 'MA' shoes go for.

My Wilsons I've had for about a year and a half now, and they're still going strong. I'd recommend those highly.

The only issue I'd have with them is that they DO have laces, and thus, I wouldn't go tapping anyone in the face with them. But I haven't had any issues with them on bags.

Most of my use of these is at tournaments, as I train barefoot almost 100% of the time.

Hope it helps.

variance

White Belt
Reaction score
Where can I get a size 11 in those Pumas?? I was also looking at the Arashi as well that look similar to these. Are these Pumas pretty good to use for training?

They hold up very well in training.
My first pair of Puma UKE V's held up over a year through being worn every day for school/lab and work in addition to the heavy abuse in sparring and heavy bag work. I even purposely abused them agianst solid objects like a brick wall practicing control/range of low knee kicks. Even now they are still wearable although visibly worn. (Rubber is noticeably worn and one of the stiches holding the sole to the shoe has come off but the sole is still solidly attached and I continue to wear it as a "beater" shoe.)

I pretty much use these shoes as every day walking shoes although I have a pair i reserve to be kept clean for training or tournaments

FootactionUSa if tehy still have them in stock.
I think Puma USA has a new one on its website
but by far the easiest/best place i've found to get the puma UKE Arashi / ultimate etc is on ebay.

keywords like puma martial or puma uke or puma arashi
and make sure you set the search for "global"
because most of the sellers are european.
the german sellers are quite pricey though but i managed to pick up a few pairs for 50 or 60. average seems to be 80 - 90! :YIKES:

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the shoes that I have or my students have used are,
1) unstable causing an ankle roll,
2) they tend to over grip, causing ankle and knee problems,
3) they will not stay on the foot properly. When kicking students have to roll their toes in order to keep their shoes from flying off.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the shoes that I have or my students have used are,
1) unstable causing an ankle roll,
2) they tend to over grip, causing ankle and knee problems,
3) they will not stay on the foot properly. When kicking students have to roll their toes in order to keep their shoes from flying off.

That's why whenever possible I train in my duty boots..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my Taiho-Jitsu classes we wear duty type shoes/boots.

Excellent...Ya really can't go too wrong with them..When ever I attend a seminar that's what I wear the whole time I train...

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear 2 different styles...I like the Asics Wrestling shoe for all around comfort I do find my stability not as strong as when I wear my Converse...which are a flat bottomed basketball style shoe...Pro's and con's of each: the Asics are lightweight offer toe protection from elbows (to a degree) they slip a little better on the mat...when used on the wooden floor they slip too much...they are easier on my training partners when they're getting kicked I don't like them when we work outside in the dirt....The Converse I l;ike for all reasons the Asics lack....THey provide better balance, the grip is better on the wooden floor and outside, they are however a little heavier (which I think slows me down..maybe not), my partners HATE when I wear them sparring the square edges wreak havoc on the limbs....My Asics need replacing and I most likely will look for something similar...I do like the above ankle cut....offers a little more protection.....my 2 cents....
(Of course my favorite is still being barefoot...)

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
What about the standard Feivue shoes? You know...they white canvas shoes. I think they're typically sold as "wushu" shoes, but I've used them in the past and they've got a boat load of cushioning, non-marking and generally move well on a hard wood floor (no sticking on a pivot). They're also pretty cheap.

Latest Discussions