How my understanding stances can makes me a better fighter.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Sticking with the example used, sampling 100% of all LEO-involved altercations still doesn't give you any basis for extrapolating results to the general population.
Sorry, I was speaking statistically, where stats defines the "population" as the group under study. If we define the population as being all LEOs, then generalizing from a random sample of LEOs with a large enough sample (at least 30, but 1000 would be nice) would not be unreasonable.

The key is to define the population: sampling LEOs then generalizing to a population of LEOs makes sense. But generalizing to all humans, all men, or all American men (for example) does not. Yes?

(If you expected a nerdy discussion of stats on a martial arts board, raise your hand ...)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(If you expected a nerdy discussion of stats on a martial arts board, raise your hand ...)
Expected it? I hope for it. It's one of the few things that make all those blasted stats courses I had to take back in U. worth anything at all.

Well, that and being better able to locate politicians lies. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
The goal in those conflicts is specifically to subdue the bad guy and get them in a position to be cuffed and taken into custody.
It's not totally unreasonable to extrapolate from a random sample to the general. It is totally unreasonable to extrapolate from a specific sample to the general.

Jeez, I just realized I am so boring that people start discussing my jokes and providing arguments. :(

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting enough though I think all fighting involving cops have a tendency to end up on the ground. :cool:
To be fair we have to understand why fights with the cops go to the ground. If I was trying to restrain someone then being on the ground greatly restricts their mobility. Keep in mind when cops take someone on to the ground they aren't trying to be on the bottom so they can use BJJ. They always take the dominant position while on the ground. If someone has a weapon in their pocket, then you want to be in the best position to deal with that weapon. That dominant position allows them to be mobile enough where they can draw their gun if needed. The dominant position also gives the police officer a wider range of vision.

A police officer will take a person to the ground to remove their mobility options and to make them less effective. Take note of the difficulties that the suspects mobility causes police.

Here's a nice leg sweep thanks to a weak stance and a surprise leg sweep

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jeez, I just realized I am so boring that people start discussing my jokes and providing arguments. :(
Now you say it's a joke after I typed that long post lol.:banghead:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Stances" are a body position which you move through while fighting, sparring, or practicing. They are temporary snapshots in time and, at best, are merely a physical tool to help you achieve a particular goal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watching these street fight videos make me realize one thing: hardly anyone knows ANYTHING about how to fight efficiently. I think everyone here on the board, even people who are white belts in their respective styles, could handle 99% of the people out there who would try to street fight them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Stances" are a body position which you move through while fighting, sparring, or practicing. They are temporary snapshots in time and, at best, are merely a physical tool to help you achieve a particular goal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I agree with your statement, although I might leave out the phrase "at best, are merely..." I think stance training (as well as transitions) are keys to the next level, so to speak. There is nothing 'mere' about them, they are of utmost importance at the right time in a martial artist's journey.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watching these street fight videos make me realize one thing: hardly anyone knows ANYTHING about how to fight efficiently. I think everyone here on the board, even people who are white belts in their respective styles, could handle 99% of the people out there who would try to street fight them.

Oh, I don't know about that. There are untrained fighters who are very, very, good. I would say that most untrained fighters who are not very good tend not to fight unless they are liquored up or testosterone-driven.

Environment also plays a very big part in these kinds of spontaneous fights. Even a good trained or untrained fighter can be undone by a slip or trip, multiple assailants, or just plain bad luck.

I would not be complacent about the abilities of others. A true street fight is a chaotic event.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know about that. There are untrained fighters who are very, very, good.
Agreed. Lack of formal training doesn't necessarily equate to "untrained." The "School of Hard Knocks" can be a very effective trainer, if you survive it.

What I mean is that experience counts for a whole lot. Hitting and getting hit, learning, through experience, to be hit and still keep fighting, and developing, through actual practice and application, a few simple but effective high-percentage techniques can really go a very long way.

You don't have to be a ninja to be able to fight. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
People: it's the way you have you feet on the ground, not quantum theory. I would've thought everything said on this thread would've been tacit looong ago.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People: it's the way you have you feet on the ground, not quantum theory.
It's the smallest things that are often the most complex things.
We can look at a rock and say that it's "just a rock", yet when we look at the smaller parts that make the rock we begin to discover that its more complex than "just a rock"

Stances are like that. From the outside stances appear to be "the way you have your feet on the ground." but if we train stances and focus only on the stance then we'll be able to notice those smaller things that make up a good and effective stance. Some people think that just standing in one place for a long period at a time is a waist of time. But when I'm in a horse stance for a long period of time, I begin to focus solely on the stance and the small flexes of the muscles that are involved, the small shifting of my balance, I being to take notice of which muscles burn, and which direction I begin to lean as I try to keep my stance 50/50. From the outside I look like I'm just standing still, but on the inside it's like everything is trying to move.

Very few people train their stances and it shows like the sun on a clear day to people who train stances. While stance training isn't a Magic Bullet, it does provide some worth while benefits. Like most benefits in life, it's also an option that someone can take advantage of or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People: it's the way you have you feet on the ground, not quantum theory. I would've thought everything said on this thread would've been tacit looong ago.

Quantum theorists dont get their faces punched in if the the other guy has better footwork

Connor mcgregor and footwork.