Why should I

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Like many who have been on MT for awhile I have seen my share of “What style should I choose” posts but I was wondering about something today.

I admit it may be a bit backwards in approach but I noticed two schools on a direct line between where I work and my house, one I knew was there and the other I was surprised to find. And I was thinking how easy it would be to stop on the way home and train at either or both… but then I thought “Why should I want to train at either” One is Boxing/Kickboxing and the other is JKD.

Now I have nothing against either of these schools and if I had the time and money and I was about 20 years younger and single I would probably give both a try…

Now I was wondering; why should anyone want train your chosen style?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Isn't that the million dollar question Xue! ;)

Could be.

And to be honest I don't think I could answer the question about any style I train but I have read a lot of strong opinions on MT over the years as to why one should not train a style (see any style X vs. style Y post) I was wondering if anyone had anything as to why they should train a specific style, that style being the one they train.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is such a hard question or the million dollar one because everyone has different things that they are looking to get out of practicing the martial sciences. In specific to IRT some thing that has been repeated to me over the years is that long time practitioners enjoy the variety and the emphasis on being good in many areas. The tool based approach is always some thing that people enjoy and understand the practicality of what we do. However, to the new person starting it is daunting! ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is such a hard question or the million dollar one because everyone has different things that they are looking to get out of practicing the martial sciences.

True

In specific to IRT some thing that has been repeated to me over the years is that long time practitioners enjoy the variety and the emphasis on being good in many areas. The tool based approach is always some thing that people enjoy and understand the practicality of what we do. However, to the new person starting it is daunting! ;)

I think if you get into details of any style it can be daunting or outright discouraging.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone has to search within themselves for reasons to train at all.... we can advise others and offer opinions, but it is an individual choice.

For me, the addition of more training came from the most basic motivation : to stay alive longer. My doctor said get more active - or risk becoming permanently inactive. Not only do I get a good work out, but what I do reduces stress and has self defense applications.... add in some friends and I have something to genuinely look forward to.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should only study that which you enjoy learning.
However, you should study Kenpo at my school, because we have a great group of people.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like many who have been on MT for awhile I have seen my share of “What style should I choose” posts but I was wondering about something today.

I admit it may be a bit backwards in approach but I noticed two schools on a direct line between where I work and my house, one I knew was there and the other I was surprised to find. And I was thinking how easy it would be to stop on the way home and train at either or both… but then I thought “Why should I want to train at either” One is Boxing/Kickboxing and the other is JKD.

Now I have nothing against either of these schools and if I had the time and money and I was about 20 years younger and single I would probably give both a try…

Now I was wondering; why should anyone want train your chosen style?
Try the JKD; its more usefull for more situations. As for my system again the whole idea is to raise the percentage of people and situations one can handle.
Sean

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have many good reasons why you should train at our club but no good reason on why you should train our style of iaido.

MJER or MSR or any of the more obscure styles, if you have a good teacher, and you want to learn, they’ll all get you to where you want to go.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why should you train in my style?

'Cause if you don't I'll kick your ***! LOL

Seriously, I tell prospective students of the depth that my style offers, and that the emphasis on basics in the way that I teach produces functional skills. It's the best style for me -- but not for everyone. But if you give me a chance, and I can't work with you to make the principles work, I'll work with you to find something else, too.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no reason at all for anyone to train in my art. I have myriad reasons that I do. That's kind of the crux of the matter for me, I don't like telling people what they should or shouldn't do, but if asked will certainly tell them why I do or don't do certain things.

Latest Discussions