Shoes for Martial Arts

FunkyDemon

White Belt
Reaction score
In my class last night my Sifu was recommending that I replace my current shoes. Currently I am wearing my old Adidas TKD Martial Art shoes, but he feels they don't provide enough support or cushioning.

So what type of shoe should I get? Running, Cross-Training, Basketball, some other kind of Martial Art shoe, other? The class is Kick Boxing and Hung Gar. He is right in that my feet are often sore after class, most often the balls of the feet, and last night one foot was getting sore on top from some kicks.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
they make boxing shoes...

personally, i've been very happy wearing wrestling shoes the whole time i've trained. they're not so very different from tkd shoes (more ankle support and better traction), but folks have been making them a lot longer. they tend to be higher quality, last longer, and cost a lot less.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wrestling shoes are my choice.

Careful with non-martial arts style shoes, too much traction can be really rough on the knees if it sticks and you meant to pivot. Which is why if you look at the bottom of your TKD shoes they are fairly flat and have that "pivot point"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to wear the regular MA shoes, but now wear wrestling shoes. I find that they offer alot more support, better quality and still provide alot of movement.

Mike

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I usually wore wrestling shoes as well. Asics had a nice gel insole one that was very comfortable, and had an excellent sole for training (actually 2 pieces with an arch support off the ground, and a good sized pivot under the ball of the foot).

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Asics wrestling shoes were the coolest thing, when I wrestled. However, doing tae kwon do I have to have my tkd shoes. I just have to have that pivot point.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I bought some good nikes, and they work great for what i do (wing chun/shaolin). I dont know about your art though, you may need a different type. My opinion, however, is a well made tennis/running shoe has enough cushion, is well balanced and made for constant shifting of weight/stability, both which are crucial in any martial art. Hope this helps!

Keith

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I belive my Adidas wrestling shoes have a piviot point in the sole as well. Those are the ones I train in all the time.

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
It depends on what art you train in. Tai Chi and other internal arts are best done in flat-soled slippers, to get the most sensitivity from the floor. Western arts like historical fencing are done in smooth leather soles, as modern shoes can provide too much traction for the footwork involved. Savate depends on wearing shoes, since the striking area is the toes.

The best advice would most likely come from your teacher as to what the "best" shoes are for the style/s you practice.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I swear by New Balance. I am using New Balance 608's which are the general use walking/running shoes.

I love anything New Balance. For some reason, they are shaped exactly to fit the arches of my feet. Plus they are light and offer great ankle support.

AoG

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ask your sifu what his recommendation is. Have him take a look at your foot, and he may be able to give some good suggestions on what to look for.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Otomix sells a large variety of MA shoes...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do almost all of my training in bare feet, and have never suffered any significant foot soreness. Sure, theres the soreness from repeatedly whacking the bag or pads with the instep but I've never felt that I needed more support or cushioning for my feet.

The reason I wear shoes when training now is for realism. When I need to use my training, I won't have time to take my shoes off so I train in them.

Perhaps you might try training in bare feet, and see how it goes?

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Me - I wear Wal-Mart specials...white rubber-soled shoes (actually it's a woman's shoe) which runs $6.99 a pair...made in China!

OP
F

FunkyDemon

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas. The main problem with the TKD shoes is the sole is very thin that it provides no cushioning. I am not sure how much more padding other martial art/wrestling shoes will provide. If I can find a place that sells them, I will check them out however. (That would be an actual store, I can't check them out online.)

From what I have seen in class, everyone is wearing some form of sneaker. I didn't see any martial art shoes (but there may be some in the advanced class). I will seek some clarification in class tonight, and also pay closer attention to what others are wearing. I will also try wearing some shoes that I already have and see what the difference is. I don't think they are the best since I can see the high cut limiting ankle movement.

The only 'rule' is no street shoes. Part of the reason is to be more accurate. If I am harassed I won't be bare foot (unless on the beach). Really I should be wearing normal shoes, but they aren't very good for martial arts so I have to at least wear some sort of running shoe/sneaker. Bare foot just is not an option in the class. I've gone bare foot before and not something that I would do if given a choice.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FunkyDemon,

Part of the reason why many places that might allow shoes, don't allow "street shoes" is because many a "street shoe" has a sole that can marr the dojo floor surface. I don't mind sweeping and mopping off the hardwood surface once in a while, especially since any normal marks easily disappear, but cleaning off shoe marks is a PITA.

Once in a while, the maintenance guy will need to walk on the floor, to change light bulbs, etc., and it takes a good effort to get the markings out, especially since he also uses a rubber-footed ladder.

Even though I advocate training in bare feet for the purposes of conditioning one's feet and legs better, I do understand why people sometimes train in shoes.

Some dojos are located in areas where the floor isn't exactly clean, and where even slight tears in the skin could result in a nasty infection indeed. This is especially true in places that are located in damp climates, and use wooden floors.

Other times, the individual in question, might be having problems with the feet, such as cracking skin, horrible blistering (that goes way beyond even the worst of workout-induced ones), or those who may be diabetic and have foot problems, could certainly benefit from footwear.