board breaking

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to take the boards already broken duing a test and speed break the halves. When some boards are broken, they aren't broken in equal halves. I attempt to break the larger piece. It didn't always work, sometimes it was too small and went sailing across the room. This really challenged my focus and speed.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good use of the boards that would otherwise be simply thrown away.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any experience with rebreakable boards?

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Daniel

I don't think those give quite the same feedback as wooded boards since they only break cleanly in the middle. I've had some really good breaks when the boards split and cracked in multiple locations....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of the boards we use have been glued back together, does that count as rebreakable?
Technically yes:), but I was thinking of the ones that you can buy that have a tongue and groove joint that is designed to break and be placed back together.

Daniel

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bag work will help you learn to generate power, and learn to support the power you generate in your stance, body, and structure.

But, really, the only way to get good at breaking is to break. Which is why I don't do it much; it's expensive!

I tried to break 4 inches of pine with an elbow strike. I couldn't break it. There is some limitations there. The only way I see myself learn to do it is to hit a bag. My opportunities to break are limited. I don't have people to hold and the classes have alot of students. So I probably get the opportunity to do it maybe once every 4-6 months. Also if you don't want to waste money on boards you better break it the first time.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Daniel

I use them for practise, and they are pretty good. At this point the "hardest" board they have is a black one, and it is equal to 2.5 pine boards. I can break it fairly easily with an over head knife hand strike. I have a little bit of a hard time with it in a standing ridge hand or knife hand though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
EEEWWWWWWW, I LOATHE rebreakebles! With a passion!

I break blue, which is supposed to be 1x11x12 in dimention I do believe.

The thing is, they have to be broken at least 25 times before you can safely attempt a technique on them, best method is to put them up on a couple of bricks or similar and stomp them - we use them for rank test and we had to take care of all the schools boards, from white to black....

I guess it's economical over time to use them, but you have to really aim for the center, were wood is a bit more forgiving, plastic isn't, and if you got some extra money, get the ones with the rubber sides (on the back) your holders will appreciate it!

I love demos, we get to smash wood....

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the wood also. Those re-breakables are tough sometimes - esp. if you have inexperienced board holders or they are not locked out.

In ITA we start breaking the re-breakable boards at red belt as part of rank testing. The type of board is dependant upon your age.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of the boards we use have been glued back together, does that count as rebreakable?

Nope...in fact, that glued up joint should be stronger than the original wood if glued up properly.

try this, break a board. Glue it up so that you have a good join. Break it again and see if it breaks along the glue line. My guess is it won't. :)

As for rebreakables, I have a couple...they are not as forgiving as wood as has been said. But are a good compromise for practice (so as to save money). I;ve got one of those black ones but have not been able to break it. I'll try the foot stomp trick to ease it up a bit.

Peace,
Erik

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope...in fact, that glued up joint should be stronger than the original wood if glued up properly.

try this, break a board. Glue it up so that you have a good join. Break it again and see if it breaks along the glue line. My guess is it won't. :)

As for rebreakables, I have a couple...they are not as forgiving as wood as has been said. But are a good compromise for practice (so as to save money). I;ve got one of those black ones but have not been able to break it. I'll try the foot stomp trick to ease it up a bit.

Peace,
Erik
Actually, it depends on the type of glue you use, and on the wood. Pine that's split along the grain isn't going to absorb some glues particularly well; the natural fracture points produce a closed grain. A good wood glue, used on a good, clean, prepared surface will produce a stronger bond than the natural wood.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, it depends on the type of glue you use, and on the wood. Pine that's split along the grain isn't going to absorb some glues particularly well; the natural fracture points produce a closed grain. A good wood glue, used on a good, clean, prepared surface will produce a stronger bond than the natural wood.

My expereince has always been that a decent break that's not too jagaged (lots of long grain to long grain contact) with standard yellow carpenter's glue gi ves a plenty strong joint for breaking.

Obviously, if the two pieces of board can't be fit together neatly (due to excessive tear out or whatever) then you'll get a weaker joint. In th eend, the more long grain to long grain contact in the joint, the better. It's not really about glue absorbtion is about bonding.

Peace,
Erik

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys and your boards. We don't do many speed breaks. Around BB we transition our students over to concrete pavers in place of boards. A student has the option of speed breaking, but it seems that they like to power break instead of power breaking.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brick breaks are a requirement at blackbelt and afterwards :) Never done a speedbreak on one though.

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
at my school we do speed breaks if u want but not required, with that being said im a sr red so im only 3 months into board breaking requiements, i dont speed break however, this is mainly because we use rebreakable boards and mine is about the equivalent to a brick, not exagerating either, on the other hand we do a drill where one person holds ur board and the other hold another board of equivalent or one grade lower and u must front kick, keep knee up turn sidekick and break both or push ups

Spartan 117

White Belt
Reaction score

Daniel

Well, I have two black rebreakable boards, and they are very strong, but, they will break as long as you hit'em right in the joint. They are a money saver, build confidence, and help a lot in focus training, but once you get used to 'em, you'll have no problem breaking them.

Wood, however, can be a more uncertain challenge, and I personally prefer wood.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
at my school we do speed breaks if u want but not required, with that being said im a sr red so im only 3 months into board breaking requiements, i dont speed break however, this is mainly because we use rebreakable boards and mine is about the equivalent to a brick, not exagerating either, on the other hand we do a drill where one person holds ur board and the other hold another board of equivalent or one grade lower and u must front kick, keep knee up turn sidekick and break both or push ups

Sounds interesting.

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it's a mere parlor trick since speed breaking invariably only uses 1 board. .

No offense, but this simply isn't true. I mentioned earlier that I'm just resuming training after about 10 years off, but I used to speed break2 boards all the time.

Latest Discussions