Black Belt test

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
it might be possible for you to be nice AND honest at the same time.

it isnt easy for me, because i am not a nice person. In all reality, i am pretty much an ***.

I have to TRY to be nice. Most of the time i dont bother, to tell the truth. No point since sooner or later I offend everyone....

here was my last test, 3 years ago, doing Sae Jong.

I would rate my performance of this form as unacceptable. my lost my balance for a sec, and I wasnt as familiar with the form as i should have been. Only worked on it for about 4 weeks (Actually a funny story behind that. Ask me about it sometime.) it was not a 4th dan BB level performance

So you see, i apply those same admittedly harsh standards to myself as well.

Pursuant to your suggestion, I am creating a new thread.

I generally don't like to comment on other people's tests, just because there is so much subjectivity and I find that it is nonproductive to judge someone based on a different set of criteria, especially when they practice a curriculum different than I. Also I do not know sejong, so it is hard for me to tell whether it is being done right or not. But thank you for sharing.

Do you have the sparring portion of your test available for viewing?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
its ok Ron, i know i looked like crap on that test. Like I said, it was unacceptable by my own standards.

but thats the thing, i dont use myself as the standard of "accpetable"

i want my students, and everyone's students to be better than ME, i suck. I am old and fat.

I want, no i expect people to be FAR better than me

I think that perhaps you should be kinder and more understanding to yourself, and so it will be easier to be kinder and more understanding of others.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I appreciate anyone (twin fist)who puts himself out there. Although I rarely agree with you(twin fist)admire your commitment. I hope that someday you might do the same for others. Even though they might not fit into the box of what you think is correct.

BTW I know you don't care!

Maybe you will surprise me!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no, actually i dont, but i can tell you what i had to do.

2 3 minute rounds

about 80% fullpower

first fight was a 24 year old 4th dan

2nd was a 30 year old 2nd dan pro boxer.

and I hadnt fought a BB in 6 years

it was ugly.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it your standard to chamber Rising outer forearm blocks from underneath?

BTW if you recall our our prior communication re this pattern and it seems you are performing it as laid out in He Il Cho's book which eiother has a mistake, or his own version vis a vis that last turn at the end which makes it unneccessarily difficult, I did e-mail He Il Cho with a question abourt whehtr it was his own version or some editing error. I got a reply from "Jasmine Cho" who said that he taught the patterns as originaly designed. I replied that the pattern never appeared this way, at least not from the 1965 text onward and asked again if she would ask GM Cho about this. I never got a reply.

In case you or anyone else was wondering I have asked gneral Choi directly about whether certain things in hsi books were errors. (He confirmed errors verbaly on at least 2 occasions and the ITF did put out technical correction bulletins from time to time about the errors. )

As you have acknowledged , your group has taken TKD and made it your own, so whatever you do is your privilege since you acknowledge it as such.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the 360 spin was added by William Shelton, I dont think anyone else does it that way. He likes to make the kata showy..lol

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

2 3 minute rounds

about 80% fullpower

it was ugly.

I'm assuming you passed your test since you are 4th Dan, so I am sure that your instructors thought it was good enough.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, they showed me after that they had TWO certs made up for me. One for 3rd dan, one for 4th, they decided based on my performance, and my students performance to skip dan me from 2nd to 4th. I didnt turn it down, but i strive every day to deserve it.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, they showed me after that they had TWO certs made up for me. One for 3rd dan, one for 4th, they decided based on my performance, and my students performance to skip dan me from 2nd to 4th. I didnt turn it down, but i strive every day to deserve it.

I personally don't think a student should refuse a promotion given by his/her instructor. As for striving everyday to deserve it, that is the proper attitude to have. You want to live up to the trust and faith your teacher has put upon you. Amazing how our attitudes and perspectives are similar or the same, once we get past polarizing differences and look at the similarities instead.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

2 3 minute rounds

about 80% fullpower

it was ugly.
Sounds like a tough test! For the record, I found watching the video that you did post to be very enjoyable. I definitely can appreciate your performance, even though I am not familiar with the tul in question.

Latest Discussions