Atrial Fibrillation

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just had my annual physical. I was looking forward to it because I've lost a lot of weight recently (mostly thanks to Trulicity, which I have been taking for a while now for my diabetes), and my daily blood sugar tests have been looking pretty good.

All my numbers looked great, and the doctor was thrilled. Every single indicator that had ever been high or borderline bad was now well within the good to excellent range. Kidney and liver function excellent, all good. The one very tiny issue was low potassium - doc told me to eat a banana.

However, my EKG shows Atrial Fibrillation. This is new; I did not have it last year when tested, nor any year previously. My resting pulse rate is in the 80s. Doctor asked me if I have had any issues of light-headedness or dizzyness recently, and I have; mostly in the dojo but sometimes when I stand up from the couch after sitting for awhile.

He put me on a beta blocker and I've made an appointment with a cardiologist for a stress test, echo cardiogram, and I guess I have to wear a harness for a while. Until then, I'm to keep my pulse rate under 150, which means no cardio in the dojo; even when I'm doing kata, if I get to breathing hard, I take a break.

It bothers me to be sitting down while everyone else is working out, but I don't really have a choice. At least until I get a rundown from the cardiologist and hear what I need to be doing.

It's always something, eh?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Bill. It's like the old saying, "Two steps forward, one step back." Sounds like you're getting some good advice from the doctor, though. Hope it turns out to be somewhat easy to manage.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know we've never met in person, but I feel like I know you. lol

Prayers for you and the doctors as they figure out what's going on.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Bill, everyone is pulling for you. Sounds like everything else health wise is doing great.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Bill.. but dang, that's seriously awesome news about everything else, really great to hear :)

Hoping it's nothing too serious mate.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My dad had atrial fibrilliation. It's very treatable. Meds might do it, or they can do ablation if necessary.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ditto on all the other posts.

Just as you fix one problem, another pops up. Can't let life get too easy, huh? I'm on a beta blocker and stay very active, so I hope your Doc gets you set up and back doing MA and other things they way you want.

Keeping your pulse under 150 shouldn't be too hard - I'm sucking wind at that point. Just self-monitor, not only heartbeat, but for red-face as well. Have your sensei or other keep an eye out for you. At our age we must trade some macho for common sense. That's what my sensei tells me, but I confess it's a battle.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just had my annual physical. I was looking forward to it because I've lost a lot of weight recently (mostly thanks to Trulicity, which I have been taking for a while now for my diabetes), and my daily blood sugar tests have been looking pretty good.

All my numbers looked great, and the doctor was thrilled. Every single indicator that had ever been high or borderline bad was now well within the good to excellent range. Kidney and liver function excellent, all good. The one very tiny issue was low potassium - doc told me to eat a banana.

However, my EKG shows Atrial Fibrillation. This is new; I did not have it last year when tested, nor any year previously. My resting pulse rate is in the 80s. Doctor asked me if I have had any issues of light-headedness or dizzyness recently, and I have; mostly in the dojo but sometimes when I stand up from the couch after sitting for awhile.

He put me on a beta blocker and I've made an appointment with a cardiologist for a stress test, echo cardiogram, and I guess I have to wear a harness for a while. Until then, I'm to keep my pulse rate under 150, which means no cardio in the dojo; even when I'm doing kata, if I get to breathing hard, I take a break.

It bothers me to be sitting down while everyone else is working out, but I don't really have a choice. At least until I get a rundown from the cardiologist and hear what I need to be doing.

It's always something, eh?
I am scheduled for a routine stress test on the 16th. I am not aware of any issues so I am looking forward to getting the results. I do get winded quicker now, which gives me some of the symptoms you mentioned (dizziness, etc...) but I figure some of that just goes with age and not being as fit as I once was. I have had a slightly low bp most of my life but never had to go on any medication. Hopefully that does not change.

I hope all goes well for you going forward.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is to finding out now, and not on the way to the ER though.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
(I did not follow through on my checkup, and paying for it now, but frankly, 2020 was not a good year to get an undivided eat from your healthcare provider)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill, make sure your cardiologist understands about your MA activity.
One of the standard pieces of A-Fib treatment is anti-coagulation. Which would put a big crimp in MA training. To continue with contact-activities, they really need to get you out of A-Fib (which is the easy part) and then keep you out of it. Beta-blockers and calcium-channel blockers are the front line meds. Generally, if they can't keep you out of A-Fib, you're anti-coagulated and use meds for rate control, and every thing is fine. But that would make any sort of sparring a Really Bad Idea. If medications can't stop the A-Fib, you might be a good candidate for ablation.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some light hearted heart humor. The new Sex and the City show killed off a major character in the first episode...with a Peloton bike. As much as it hurt to watch, I was so angry at how dangerously the character exercises. I was yelling at the screen.

Que outrage from fans, Peloton stock plummets over 10%, and Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum (Peloton PR) has to issue a statement that the character probably lived longer because they rode a Peloton.

Nothing about the dangers of not cooling down properly after a 45m uphill ride. Never get your heart that rapid and just stop. Cooling down is just as important as warming up, when it comes to the heart.

Best of luck Bill. I can't claim I have any experience with heart issues, but becoming "heart aware" is important at any age, and most people don't until it's too late.

Bananas, spinach and other leafy greens... but most of all WATER. Without enough water, blood becomes thick. Most people are chronically dehydrated, and the first time they tend to have a major issue is when their heart rhythm becomes erratic.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bananas, spinach and other leafy greens... but most of all WATER. Without enough water, blood becomes thick. Most people are chronically dehydrated, and the first time they tend to have a major issue is when their heart rhythm becomes erratic.
You bring up some great points. A few months ago before bed I didn't feel right. I took my pulse and it was all over the board. I took my blood pressure and it was 95/48 and I freaked out. My wife called the ambulance and off to the hospital I went. On my way the attendant's hooked me up with a saline drip, but the strange thing was by the time I arrived at the hospital and got all hooked up to monitor me they found nothing wrong. I stayed for 4 hours before releasing me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You bring up some great points. A few months ago before bed I didn't feel right. I took my pulse and it was all over the board. I took my blood pressure and it was 95/48 and I freaked out. My wife called the ambulance and off to the hospital I went. On my way the attendant's hooked me up with a saline drip, but the strange thing was by the time I arrived at the hospital and got all hooked up to monitor me they found nothing wrong. I stayed for 4 hours before releasing me.
The ambulance didn't do an EKG or put you on a monitor?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mine has been as low as 70/40. When it does that it will make me feel pretty stupid and slow. I have never had a diagnosis that said "this is why or this is the problem" just lived with it. Honestly, have not been checked beyond a routine annual for a long time so the stress test was recommended. Hopefully just a precaution.
On the upside I rarely have headaches, even with lousy vision. My doctor low bp helps.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ambulance didn't do an EKG or put you on a monitor?
Yes, in the ambulance and the whole time I was in the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital everything stabilized and they could not duplicate it. Toward the end of my stay they had me walk the halls.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions