Atrial Fibrillation

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had my follow up meeting with an electrophysiologist. Not liking the options. It's not looking good for the home team.

1) ablation. 50% chance of remission for five years. 4% chance of negative outcome, meaning worse off than before, or death.

2) chemical cardioversion. Extremely strong drugs to force my heart into normal rhythm. End of martial arts training, I'll be a zombie. If this works, 2nd round of electro cardioversion, which failed the first time.

3) do nothing. Main risk is stroke, which is managed by blood thinners and heart rate slowing drugs. No sparring due to blood thinners, but honestly these drugs have me all kinds of messed up. No motivation, depressed. Lost all interest in hobbies.

So...yay. I'm seeking a second opinion, but I'm not thrilled about what I've learned so far.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my follow up meeting with an electrophysiologist. Not liking the options. It's not looking good for the home team.

1) ablation. 50% chance of remission for five years. 4% chance of negative outcome, meaning worse off than before, or death.

2) chemical cardioversion. Extremely strong drugs to force my heart into normal rhythm. End of martial arts training, I'll be a zombie. If this works, 2nd round of electro cardioversion, which failed the first time.

3) do nothing. Main risk is stroke, which is managed by blood thinners and heart rate slowing drugs. No sparring due to blood thinners, but honestly these drugs have me all kinds of messed up. No motivation, depressed. Lost all interest in hobbies.

So...yay. I'm seeking a second opinion, but I'm not thrilled about what I've learned so far.
So sorry, Bill. Second opinion is a good move. Sometimes a second set of eyes can give a different perspective. keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

tai chi or slow karate? Are those options?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

With you all the way man. Looks like we've all got some inspirational pocket lint digging to do. Whenever I'm laid up (and that happens all the time, I train too hard sometimes), it's a great time to focus on mentally bonding with others who care. Even when you can't train, making fun of martial arts makes happy chemicals in your brain flow. It's my mantra.

I'm no Ted Lasso, but I've been known to mend a wounded mojo on occasion. Hope this works, I did for me once.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
With you all the way man. Looks like we've all got some inspirational pocket lint digging to do. Whenever I'm laid up (and that happens all the time, I train too hard sometimes), it's a great time to focus on mentally bonding with others who care. Even when you can't train, making fun of martial arts makes happy chemicals in your brain flow. It's my mantra.

I'm no Ted Lasso, but I've been known to mend a wounded mojo on occasion. Hope this works, I did for me once.

Have to remember that hold my arm thing

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have to remember that hold my arm thing
It's great fun at kung fu parties, but do not use this with people who don't train head strikes. They won't think it's funny, and might call the police.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been training here for 15 years. This is my home.
Then this is where you belong. Being around people you know will give you the best support.
I was diagnosed years ago with peripheral neuropathy, no know cause. Balance is affected but gets worse if I do nothing. For this reason I still do everything I did before only slower and more controlled to keep muscles active and strong. In my case I can't reverse it but I have slowed it down. I know what you are going through because I mirror much of what you mentioned in one of your previous posts.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions