Application of the term taekwondo

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a question for anyone who can answer. I seem to recall that the term 'taekwondo' was at one point intended to be used as an umbrella term of sorts for Korean martial arts in general. Is there any truth to that, and if so, to what extent?

Daniel

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Daniel, as long as I know Tae Kwon Do was a name coined by Gen.Choi in the unification of the Kwans back in 1955. If I recall 9 kwans were involved in the KTA by 1960 or 1961 and the masters had diferent martial arts backgrounds in chinese and/or japanese martial arts like Karate, Judo, kendo, Chinese Boxing etc. Basically the masters took the best of their martial art and fusionate them, then they start to give this new martial Art (TKD) it's proper identity polishing and even creating new techs,sets of forms (poomsae) and tryiong to be get rid of any japanese influence they start kicking more and in a diferent way.

Manny

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question for anyone who can answer. I seem to recall that the term 'taekwondo' was at one point intended to be used as an umbrella term of sorts for Korean martial arts in general. Is there any truth to that, and if so, to what extent?
Daniel
Sir I am not sure that there is a clear answer to that. From my understanding the evolution of TKD was at 1st through a new name. Back in the 1940s, post WWII, they were all doing some form of karate, with some Chinese influence. They of course did not want to use the name karate, so they applied terms like TangSuDo, KongSuDo, KwonBup, HwaSaeDo. There were various attempts to unify that were not successful. We know that by 1955 the new name TKD was approved. I would say that you could look at it as an new umbrella term, as they all were pretty much doing the same thing, more or less, basic karate. I do know that Kwan founders, leaders & individual instructors were adding their own emphasis, flavors & the like, but it was also basic karate.
It appears that few outside of the OSK & CDK who followed Gen Choi fully accepted the new name of TKD or applied it to what they were doing. So it does appear that it was offered as an umbrella term but rejected by most. This was of course 1955. We next know that Gen Choi & GM Son Duk Sung formed some sort of TKD Assoc of Korea in 1957. It was short lived. The in Sept of 1959 Gen Choi formed the Korean TKD Assoc. That either eventually fell apart, like all previous unification attempts, or became the Korea TaeSuDo Assoc in Sept 1961. We see clearly from the Modern History Of TKD that they rejected the name TKD & decided on a new compromise name of Tae Soo Do, which we know that Gen Choi was successful in having changed in 1965 when elected their 3rd president.
It was not until Dr Kim Un Yong came on board in 1971, that a real unifcation would be competed by Aug of 1978.
So some today even look at TKD as an umbrella term, as there are more than 1 way to train TKD & more than 1 style or branch of TKD. Still confusing for some.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel I would say no it was not intended to be the catch all for Korean arts, but that would be my opinion based on what I have read and been told over the years, If you add a dollar you still could get that cup of coffee at Mc Donalds.
icon14.gif

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You mean all martial arts in Korea? I would not think so because there was no involvement of the hapki yu kwon sool or hapkido people in the incarnations of the KTA.

I do think General Choi intended to unify all the karate-based schools under his direction and the blanket name would be tae kwon do.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Daniel

Depends on who you ask.

If you ask Gen. Choi, the man who coined the word, the answer is a pretty obvious "no," if by umbrella term you mean one parallel to "karate." Whether it has come to signify that over time is another matter.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

The name Taekwondo, like the name Taesoodo, was meant to be an inclusive, umbrella term for any school that can trace its origins to the original five kwan, whether the art name was Tang Soo Do, Kwon Bup, Kong Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do, Hwa Soo Do, or anything else. That is what I think was meant by your statement above.

Incidentally though, I remember Hapkido GM JR West saying that when he was studying Hapkido in Vietnam during the middle 60's, all martial arts taught by the ROK military, including Hapkido, was considered a part of the Oh Do Kwan. It didn't matter whether you were Taekwondo or not. So in that regard, "Oh Do Kwan" was an umbrella organization for all Korean martial arts.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask.

If you ask Gen. Choi, the man who coined the word, the answer is a pretty obvious "no," if by umbrella term you mean one parallel to "karate." Whether it has come to signify that over time is another matter.

Pax,

Chris
I am not so sure that in those very early days if that was the case. I think the name then could have been offered as an umbrella term. We know from history that it was rejected then & its use limited to Gen Choi & his followers, who then applied it to the system that they were developing in the military.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not so sure that in those very early days if that was the case. I think the name then could have been offered as an umbrella term. We know from history that it was rejected then & its use limited to Gen Choi & his followers, who then applied it to the system that they were developing in the military.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. Gen. Choi came up with the name Taekwon-Do after founding the Oh Do Kwan. He offered it as a name for the unification of the karate-based systems being practiced in Korea at the time. But, as I said before, I doubt very much he intended it as an umbrella term parallel to how "karate" is used in relation to the Okinawan/Japanese styles (viz. as a generic term to describe a variety of styles).

It seems to me, rather, that he envisiosned everyone eventually coming to practice his standardized system that got its start in the Oh Do Kwan. In a 1995 interview in Mudo Dojang Gen. Choi said in regards to a question about the WTF: "If they have to call [it] Taekwon-Do, then they have to learn exactly what I designed. Kano Jigoro invented and designed techniques that we call judo. Taekwon-Do is the same. If they have to use the name they should practice as designed by General Choi, founder of Taekwon-Do."

That doesn't sound like he planned on it being a generic name, at least to me. Obviously in the 1950s and 60s there would be variations of technique because of the whole process of unifying the Kwans but it seems to me that Gen. Choi envisioned everyone adopting his way of doing things. That's very different from how "karate" is used.

Pax,

Chris

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The name Taekwondo, like the name Taesoodo, was meant to be an inclusive, umbrella term for any school that can trace its origins to the original five kwan, whether the art name was Tang Soo Do, Kwon Bup, Kong Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do, Hwa Soo Do, or anything else. That is what I think was meant by your statement above.

Incidentally though, I remember Hapkido GM JR West saying that when he was studying Hapkido in Vietnam during the middle 60's, all martial arts taught by the ROK military, including Hapkido, was considered a part of the Oh Do Kwan. It didn't matter whether you were Taekwondo or not. So in that regard, "Oh Do Kwan" was an umbrella organization for all Korean martial arts.
There is a gent on another site who is very into taekwondo history, and he had made a post to the effect that the original intent was for taekwondo to be used as a general term for all KMA, past, present, and future. This would certainly clear up the 2000 year old issue if you used the term 'taekwondo' to mean KMA. I suspect that he probably meant it the way that you phrased it above.

I appreciate the response!

Daniel

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I don't think so. Gen. Choi came up with the name Taekwon-Do after founding the Oh Do Kwan. He offered it as a name for the unification of the karate-based systems being practiced in Korea at the time. But, as I said before, I doubt very much he intended it as an umbrella term parallel to how "karate" is used in relation to the Okinawan/Japanese styles (viz. as a generic term to describe a variety of styles).

It seems to me, rather, that he envisiosned everyone eventually coming to practice his standardized system that got its start in the Oh Do Kwan. In a 1995 interview in Mudo Dojang Gen. Choi said in regards to a question about the WTF: "If they have to call [it] Taekwon-Do, then they have to learn exactly what I designed. Kano Jigoro invented and designed techniques that we call judo. Taekwon-Do is the same. If they have to use the name they should practice as designed by General Choi, founder of Taekwon-Do."

That doesn't sound like he planned on it being a generic name, at least to me. Obviously in the 1950s and 60s there would be variations of technique because of the whole process of unifying the Kwans but it seems to me that Gen. Choi envisioned everyone adopting his way of doing things. That's very different from how "karate" is used.

Pax,

Chris
Yes but I am not so sure that we can apply 1990's sentiment to what was actually going on in the 1954/55. We know for sure that this was what we were told & came to believe. However I am trying to simply examine this from the context of "that time period". I am not sure that this was the initial intent. We see that those early attempts to unify all fell apart & it seems to disintegrate around a common theme, which appears to be the power to test.
I think that there was no way that the other schools would stop what they were doing & adopt something new. No one wants to do that today, so why would they be any different? So in 1954 they were all more or less doing the same thing, which was basic karate & calling it karate using Chinese or Korean terms. It appears to me that he wanted them to use a Korean term instead. He was also embarking on making new patterns so they did not have to do karate katas. But these patterns, like the Palgwe & Taegueks were more or less basic karate moved re-arranged & done differently. Even there, he relied on the pattern names to make them Korean.
I am sorry that this seems to be an esoteric conversation with no clear answer.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but I am not so sure that we can apply 1990's sentiment to what was actually going on in the 1954/55. We know for sure that this was what we were told & came to believe.

Actually, I was never "told this & came to believe." I read it in the interview I mentioned. Never heard one way or the other about it before.

If you're looking for a 1954/55 context about specifically what Gen. Choi thought at the time (which is what my original comment was regarding) I wish you a lot of luck. The only thing I've seen in English close to that period is the 1965 textbook and it leads me to the same conclusion; Gen. Choi intended the Kwans to unite under him and adopt his system. YMMV in this regard but I see no evidence that he intended for "Taekwon-Do" to be a generic term under which there would be a variety of systems, techniques, patterns, etc. like what the term "karate" entails.

However I am trying to simply examine this from the context of "that time period". I am not sure that this was the initial intent. We see that those early attempts to unify all fell apart & it seems to disintegrate around a common theme, which appears to be the power to test.

I'd be interested in seeing what sources you're using that talk abotu Gen. Choi's intentions during this period. I'd be pretty interested in seeing them myself!

I think that there was no way that the other schools would stop what they were doing & adopt something new.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this statement it doesn't really touch upon the subject at hand, viz. what Gen. Choi was thinking. We may never know for sure (and probably won't) but I think it's likely that he wanted people to do just that. He did compromise with the KTA at one point after forming the ITF in 1966 and agreed to an amalgam of patterns to use but if you read about this in his autobiography it's pretty clear he was unsatisfied and was simply doing it to try to keep Taekwon-Do unified.

No one wants to do that today, so why would they be any different? So in 1954 they were all more or less doing the same thing, which was basic karate & calling it karate using Chinese or Korean terms. It appears to me that he wanted them to use a Korean term instead. He was also embarking on making new patterns so they did not have to do karate katas. But these patterns, like the Palgwe & Taegueks were more or less basic karate moved re-arranged & done differently. Even there, he relied on the pattern names to make them Korean.
I am sorry that this seems to be an esoteric conversation with no clear answer.

I don't think it's esoteric. I just disagree with your reading of hostorical events :) We'll never know for sure what Gen. Choi intended, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who was big on compromise ;)

Personally, in retrospect, I think Gen. Choi chaning the name of the KTA from Korean Tae Soo Do Association to Korean Taekwon-Do Association has led to many more problems than it was worth, but that's just me. (At times I wonder if the emphasis on unity in KMA circles while at the same time experiencing splinter after splinter isn't the result of the division of the penninsula.)

Pax,

Chris

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're looking for a 1954/55 context about specifically what Gen. Choi thought at the time (which is what my original comment was regarding) I wish you a lot of luck. The only thing I've seen in English close to that period is the 1965 textbook and it leads me to the same conclusion; Gen. Choi intended the Kwans to unite under him and adopt his system. YMMV in this regard but I see no evidence that he intended for "Taekwon-Do" to be a generic term under which there would be a variety of systems, techniques, patterns, etc. like what the term "karate" entails.
This is why I think we also need to get that part of his 1959 book translated. I think it has the potential to offer additional insight. I asked Puunui if he ever did translate it & he did not reply in a more productive way.

I'd be interested in seeing what sources you're using that talk abotu Gen. Choi's intentions during this period. I'd be pretty interested in seeing them myself!
No it is not sources that show his intentions, but rather those that help paint the context of the time & processes that they were going through. They are what have been put forth here, like the Modern History, Yook's article, Kim Soo's work, interviews etc.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this statement it doesn't really touch upon the subject at hand, viz. what Gen. Choi was thinking. We may never know for sure (and probably won't) but I think it's likely that he wanted people to do just that. He did compromise with the KTA at one point after forming the ITF in 1966 and agreed to an amalgam of patterns to use but if you read about this in his autobiography it's pretty clear he was unsatisfied and was simply doing it to try to keep Taekwon-Do unified.
Yes of course & we must remember that at some point the military dictator did see the value of TKD as a powerful propaganda tool when he flew to West Germany. It is no accident that a gifted, talented, highly educated man who spoke several languages & was a KCIA operative was tapped to led the south Korean TKD movement in 1971. Remember he held high govt positions in important places like the ROK Embassy to the UK in London & the USA in Washington & their UN Mission in NYC, followed by the deputy of the presidential security forces.
Unity or a unified TKD simply could not interfere with the govt wishes! It was unified by the govt, for the govt.

I don't think it's esoteric. I just disagree with your reading of hostorical events :) We'll never know for sure what Gen. Choi intended, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who was big on compromise ;)
Good point, but it is esoteric for those not interested & a real bore for partisans of a different view.

Personally, in retrospect, I think Gen. Choi chaning the name of the KTA from Korean Tae Soo Do Association to Korean Taekwon-Do Association has led to many more problems than it was worth, but that's just me. (At times I wonder if the emphasis on unity in KMA circles while at the same time experiencing splinter after splinter isn't the result of the division of the penninsula.)

Pax,

Chris
The division does play a part, as do other aspects of Korean politics.
While I know we would not be having these battles if it was TKD & TaeSuDo, I wonder what the relationships would be like if that was the case. In other words, would their be so much venom?
I don't think so, as it does not appear to be so contentious between factions of TKD & Hapkido, right?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I think we also need to get that part of his 1959 book translated. I think it has the potential to offer additional insight. I asked Puunui if he ever did translate it & he did not reply in a more productive way.

If you want it translated, you can always go do it yourself. I've translated enough things for enough people, only to see it twisted and distorted into something else. Any future translations I do for me.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want it translated, you can always go do it yourself. I've translated enough things for enough people, only to see it twisted and distorted into something else. Any future translations I do for me.
Yes I hear that & am sorry & do sympathize with you. I have been told that it is difficult to do, due to all the use of Chinese throughout.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I was never "told this & came to believe." I read it in the interview I mentioned. Never heard one way or the other about it before.

Pax,

Chris
Mr. Spiller,
Look at the 1965 book page 173 "Patterns in TKD" 3rd Paragraph and tell me what you think.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Spiller,
Look at the 1965 book page 173 "Patterns in TKD" 3rd Paragraph and tell me what you think.
Yes & even the preface, the what is TKD section & the brief history of TKD section all give me a sense that it was in the early days or formative years, more of an umbrella term. I think that after he was losing power & then when he was forced to exile himself, it became much more contentious & the differences much more stark.
Then it became a battle between the 2 major sides, with much slinging of some dirty mud. Gen Choi even lied that they stole the name TKD, when it was he himself that forced them to take it. This was one of his biggest mistakes. We would not have had those battles & the present day debates & the animosity that they breed! But TKD would probably play 2nd fiddle to Olympic Tae Soo Do!
Which would be ok with me!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Spiller,

Master Weiss, thanks for the reference. I had completely forgotten about that statement but remember reading it the first time I went through the 1965 book and thought "Wow, that's an interesting statement to make." I may have to revise my position on this point.

I'll definitely want to reread the General's autobiography referring to this time period to see how that lines up with the 1965 text, but it's very interesting!

Thanks again.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is the section that is being talked about:

"Most of these 'patterns' have been created and developed by the famous Taekwon-Do masters in the course of many centuries; they are great in number and each having its own characteristics. They are classified into three main groups: The Sorim school, Soryong School and Ch'ang Hon School."

Sounds to me like General Choi is saying that the Okinawan Karate instructors who developed the Okinawan kata are considered "famous Taekwon-Do masters", and that Taekwon-Do is "many centuries" old.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the section that is being talked about:

"Most of these 'patterns' have been created and developed by the famous Taekwon-Do masters in the course of many centuries; they are great in number and each having its own characteristics. They are classified into three main groups: The Sorim school, Soryong School and Ch'ang Hon School."

Sounds to me like General Choi is saying that the Okinawan Karate instructors who developed the Okinawan kata are considered "famous Taekwon-Do masters", and that Taekwon-Do is "many centuries" old.

Now your just being difficult:)

Latest Discussions