How did Taekwon-Do (1955) predating 1966 look like?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Neither The ITF or KKWs patterns have anything to do with their sparring format. So they are pretty much tied in that negative respect.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

However, since patterns are not intended to be "Tied to Sparring" to any great extent, why does it even matter. For the Chang Hon System the cycle contains 5 elements of which Sparring and Patterns are each one of the 5.

Frankly, if all someone wants to do is hone sparring skills there is little point in pursuing a traditional martial art syllabus in it's entirety.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I am sure there are flaws to be find for Chan Hon patterns as well. I don

And thats my point. They may later add stuff that they don't even like or find make any sense, simply to please the General. That is a bad thing, in case you guys didn't figure out where I was going with that.[

Your point misses the bigger picture. A standard system is needed in order to teach things on a large scale so people can fit in anywhere in the world. It might be wildly presumptive of me, but I assume there is no widely taught International system where everyone agrees that everything it contains is the optimal way of doing things. However, as I have met and spoken with numerous ITF Seniors the overallconsensus is that Uniformity in the system is more imortant than unanimity when it comes to everyone agreeing on everything. Now, for those, including myself who find some things to be less than optimal, I teach the "Standard" either as dictated by general Choi or refined by lter Senior directors, but I also explain my opinion. That way my students can and do fit in anywhere using the system, and students from elsewhere can and do can fit in easily at my gym.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The different schools of Kwans instructed by korean Karate masters all went under the umbrella term Taekwondo in 1955 onwards. Tang Soo Do remained independent for political reasons.

My question is as follows: Was there a difference entering a taekwondo school pre ITF, outside of patterns and sparring for competition? Were there still an emphasis on kicking over striking? They still wore the Karate Gi in Taekwondo back then, and used shotokan patterns from what I understand

Were there any new fundamental techniques introduced in General Chois ITF, (outside of self defence techniques derived from Judo/jujitsu?)

I have trained several martial arts including ITF-TKD and Shotokan Karate, and only found the jumping backkicks and tornados to be missing from Shotokan. Basically it's the same art, technique wise.

Mae geri (front Kick)

Mawashi Geri (roundhouse) Knife hand strike (Shuto ).

Uke - (blocks),

Tsuki (closed fist strike). Everything from Shotokan. The "non sport" sparring/kumite is identical to Shotokan, as you you can see from 5:00 here:

The exact same for my three step sparring gradings in ITF.

I can only speak on what my late GM, who was along with his brothers a direct student of Hwang Kee, told me. He said that before the Korean war they practiced many movements that were from Chinese martial arts. After he and his surviving family ended up in south Korea, he joined with Choi , Hong Hi. He said after that it was like karate but with more kicks. He also said that the Kwan heads did not like the name Tang Soo Do due to the obvious reference of Chinese influence.

Latest Discussions