unwanted lay-off

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know if you guys over there have heard about the floods destroying Queensland at the moment, my brother lives in denmark and said its all over the news there so maybe its made news in US also. Anyway, I am high and dry but only about 15 klm from the devastation but our state and cities are going under, there is no electricity in brisbane city and ipwich and toowoomba have been destroyed, there is no food in the shops due to lack of transport and drinking water is becoming affected.To put it in perspective, brisbane is the 3rd largest city in australia behind sydney and melbourne. My instructor is trapped on his property and may not get out for weeks and the city is gridlocked. Thirteen are dead already and 43 are missing, it will take years to rebuild. Looks like I may be having an unexpected break from tkd while we try and salvage what we can of the city.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its been sadly under-reported here. Oddly enough I've been following the events on the Weather Channel instead of the news channels which IMO is rather sad, especially considering that we (as Americans) have faced some devastating floods of our own, from the Mississippi river flooding out villages to (perhaps the worst in recent memory) Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

I'm so sorry you have to deal such a disaster. All the best to you and your countrymen!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Take care of yourself! I hope everyone's okay and the weather backs off soon!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heard about it on forums about birds and horses...

My heart goes out to you guys and prayers that it soon stops and rebuilding can begin.

No worries about the lesser things. There will be a drive way soon enough to continue studies.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Read detailed reports in two major US papers today; don't follow the visual media unless it's close to home. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and able to persevere without great loss. I guess this will give you that time you've meant to put into practicing poomsae (Tongue-in-cheek).

Best wishes for the best recovery you can muster.

Carl

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take care of yourself! I hope everyone's okay and the weather backs off soon!
Thanks steve. The rain actually stopped 2 days ago but the worst will happen after the rain as catchment areas overflow and surge up through the brisbane river. Fortunately I dont live really close the river but Im not far at all from areas that are completely under. This footage is not far from where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thirteen are dead already and 43 are missing, it will take years to rebuild. Looks like I may be having an unexpected break from tkd while we try and salvage what we can of the city.
I am so sorry for all your troubles. I do know that your Country will rebuild as those "down under" are tremendous people who will find the strength to move forward. I will pray for you & all those that are suffering.

Latest Discussions