Application of the term taekwondo

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care what General Choi said. In fact, it's probably better to completely ignore what he said.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question for anyone who can answer. I seem to recall that the term 'taekwondo' was at one point intended to be used as an umbrella term of sorts for Korean martial arts in general. Is there any truth to that, and if so, to what extent?

Daniel
I do not know the exact intent of the founders but the modern veiw I would say is it incompasses all Korean kicking arts at least here in the US.
I get people from ITF,ATA,TSD,SBD,KKW,and even some arts I am not familar with,that see Taekwondo on my sign and enter as if it is what they do.
A few of the BB's from other styles do not even realise there is any difference from one style to another,it is TKD isn't it? I have to explain but usually the only MAIN difference is poomse,and sometimes language,many TKD use Japanese,dojo,sensei etc.
I have decided that kicking is what brings us all together,most everyone in the various styles can relate to a kicking line,they all want to kick more than do poomse,spar,s/d,etc. It is what TKDoist do KICK.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care what General Choi said. In fact, it's probably better to completely ignore what he said.
See while Gen Choi may have had nothing to do with Kukki TKD & even may have hampered it, he still was an important figure with Chang Hon TKD & had countless students around the world in over 100 countries. Certainly in the spirt of having all TKDin together, which was a theme of the pioneers, then ignoring is simply not conducive to togetherness or any type of unity, don't you think?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
See while Gen Choi may have had nothing to do with Kukki TKD & even may have hampered it, he still was an important figure with Chang Hon TKD & had countless students around the world in over 100 countries. Certainly in the spirt of having all TKDin together, which was a theme of the pioneers, then ignoring is simply not conducive to togetherness or any type of unity, don't you think?

I feel sorry for the followers of General Choi, people like GM Chuck Sereff who was loyal to General Choi for decades only to be betrayed at the last moment. It must have been a bitter pill for him to have swallowed. And while I have empathy for his students, that doesn't mean I can't simply ignore what General Choi said or wrote, because contrary to what you believe, ignoring his words actually helps unification.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not know the exact intent of the founders but the modern veiw I would say is it incompasses all Korean kicking arts at least here in the US.
I get people from ITF,ATA,TSD,SBD,KKW,and even some arts I am not familar with,that see Taekwondo on my sign and enter as if it is what they do.
A few of the BB's from other styles do not even realise there is any difference from one style to another,it is TKD isn't it? I have to explain but usually the only MAIN difference is poomse,and sometimes language,many TKD use Japanese,dojo,sensei etc.
I have decided that kicking is what brings us all together,most everyone in the various styles can relate to a kicking line,they all want to kick more than do poomse,spar,s/d,etc. It is what TKDoist do KICK.

If that is the case, then why not give everyone Kukkiwon certification? And funny about the kicking thing, but that is the one thing that the "Taekwondo is nothing more than Korean Karate" crowd seem to overlook, that the emphasis on kicking is a unique aspect that finds its origins in Korean culture and history.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the followers of General Choi, people like GM Chuck Sereff who was loyal to General Choi for decades only to be betrayed at the last moment. It must have been a bitter pill for him to have swallowed. And while I have empathy for his students, that doesn't mean I can't simply ignore what General Choi said or wrote, because contrary to what you believe, ignoring his words actually helps unification.
How was Grandmaster Sereef betrayed?
What did Gen Choi say or write that was so terrible?
That he created a Korean martial art for self defence that he called Taekwon-Do, which has little to do with Kukki TKD. So for many there are 2 seperate entities. Or was it that he called the Kukki TKD guys karate because they did not do his type or style of TK-D?

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you guys keep your arguement over General Choi out of my thread please? You have, between the two of you, beaten this dead, rotten horse for forty pages or more over at least three other theads. Take it to PM or confine it to the threads in which you are already debating the subject. The history of Gen. Choi thread would be most appropriate.

Daniel

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If that is the case, then why not give everyone Kukkiwon certification? And funny about the kicking thing, but that is the one thing that the "Taekwondo is nothing more than Korean Karate" crowd seem to overlook, that the emphasis on kicking is a unique aspect that finds its origins in Korean culture and history.
I do get them their KKW certificate as soon as they can learn the curriculum for KKW.
It is a fairly easy transistion, but I must say I feel its my duty to make sure they can at least perform the poomse, even if it takes a long while to do them correctly.
I said it before but I think the KKW requirements are minimum for a TKD school,our school curriculum to BB is much more than those minimum requirements. But,if you are a BB in another style we will fastrack you to get your KKW certificate.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do get them their KKW certificate as soon as they can learn the curriculum for KKW. It is a fairly easy transistion, but I must say I feel its my duty to make sure they can at least perform the poomse, even if it takes a long while to do them correctly. I said it before but I think the KKW requirements are minimum for a TKD school,our school curriculum to BB is much more than those minimum requirements. But,if you are a BB in another style we will fastrack you to get your KKW certificate.

And that is what you should be doing, in the dojang. But when we venture beyond the dojang, it requires a different sort of mindset. We should be encouraging people, not making it so difficult that they do not want to even try.