Always wondered does this kind of strike have a name/term?

Mighty.Panda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Soooo I've never actually seen this 'strike' used in any kind of training or in real sparring etc but it seems to crop up a lot in movies/television. I guess it's a kind of throat strike with the flesh/muscle in-between the thumb and index finger. I just ponder the question every time I see it on tv really.

10728787_10153219930920715_864946364_n.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That particular strike can be used quite effectively. In Taekwondo, it's taught in the poomsae Koryo, where it is used against the knee and throat. Applied at an upwards angle under the jaw, it can be used to upset balance and control the head. Used directly into the throat, it can be used as a killing strike. In Koryo, it's called an arc hand strike, but you're going to find that there are lot of different names.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soooo I've never actually seen this 'strike' used in any kind of training or in real sparring etc but it seems to crop up a lot in movies/television. I guess it's a kind of throat strike with the flesh/muscle in-between the thumb and index finger. I just ponder the question every time I see it on tv really.

Counter Strike D - Modern Arnis - GM Remy A Presas.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, it's a legit strike. No, you most likely will not see it during any sparring sessions, mainly because the target is the throat. Typically, it's called a web hand strike, although I'm sure there are other names for it as well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That can be a nasty bastard of a strike. We used to call it a "Give me back that cookie strike:"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen it in forms and I know that back in the day it was used in sparring but with extreme control. Some times it is still used in sparring but only when the no contact rule is applied to the technique.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also present in Goju kata as a strike to the trachea. As others have said, a very nasty strike. There is a variation of this taught in Japanese Goju that is even more nasty, if that is possible.
:asian:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's called an arc hand strike, but usually all the fingers (excluding the thumb) are closed. It's primary target is the throat but it can be used to strike the wrist and in certain blocks such as the U-shaped block and double arc hand blocks. The hand position can also be used in basic forearm/knife hand blocks to facilitate a quick wrist grab. It's probably one of the hardest techniques to practice on a pad, not because it is difficult to do but because most pads have the wrong shape although you could practice it on a pool noodle. You will see it more in step sparring than free sparring.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In CMA, at least the ones I've trained in, we call that portion of the hand the tiger's mouth.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that I use this weapon, but I would sooner use that to attack the nose than the accepted method of heel palming. If the guy rears his head back even slightly, you get an heel palm full of teeth. Just a thought. :)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like a great way to break your fingers.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys... The picture is so he could draw a circle around the striking surface. Not to show the technique.
Correct hand position could be described as "holding a coke can".

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done it to people. It is a bit of fun. Never hurt my hand.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is Koryo Pumse. After he does the two lines to the side, he performs this one twice when going "north." It's a head on view.

Last edited by a moderator: