Always wondered does this kind of strike have a name/term?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't this strike/hand positioning used in Ba Gua a lot for the purpose of controlling joints?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a strike commonly used by street brawlers, but one clearly known to those with formal training (though less so for those whose training is sport-oriented).

Over the last 30 years, I've seen several (living) laryngeal fractures resulting from assaults. I've seen more that we were trying to resuscitate (these would be the deaths you asked about...) and talked to ambulance staff about even more that (from the description of their assessment findings) probably had laryngeal fractures but were not transported (what we call DRT - Dead Right There).

The structures of the trachea/cricothyroid/hyoid/larynx are among the more fragile parts of the human body. They're fairly well protected by their location (dropping the chin does a fine job of protecting them) but when they are struck with even moderate force, the resulting injury is extremely dangerous.

Of those that survive, virtually all will require some time on a ventilator, and the vast majority will require surgery. Most will find some changes to their voice, and a significant portion will never speak again.

With treatment (that means expert airway management) the mortality rate is 40-45%. Without treatment, as you might imagine, it is much higher.
tiger_mouth.gif

Yes, this is a great strike, highly effective and when/if transitioned into a trachea choke can absolutely result in tap-out and if continued to death. I have never used it but have experienced it "first hand" (hawdehaw! sorry!) and had it put on me to a relatively powerful but controlled level while sparring with a very large sempai who admittedly did have hands larger than bear paws. I took him down in a sacrifice throw and while working to put a headlock on he shot his strike out and caught me in the front of the neck but kept contact and then proceeded to squeeze until I had to tap. It happened very quickly. While a strike fighter by trade I am a decent enough judoka and dabble a little in jujitsu but felt it wise to tap. The reflexive tucking my jaw in (which has worked against neck grips in the past) did nothing to release or ease his grip or pressure. Maybe a good bjj'er like Tony Dimiskus or jujitsu fighter may have got out of it quick enough by breaking off the grip...but the problem is when exerted with force and with intent the grip goes around and behind the trachea at the same time as squeezing. If he had applied the initial strike without control or continued with a fast full power contraction I am sure I would have been in a world of trouble. I went around for about a week after that fight like I had a major case of tonsillitis or something.

Latest Discussions