Always wondered does this kind of strike have a name/term?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your fingers can also break while in a fist.

Just saying...
Again you are commenting on something of which you have no knowledge and I am not expanding on this on the internet.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used this strike one time in a physical altercation. It was against an individual that was larger, stronger and heavier than me. He was also an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) which compounded the situation. I struck him on an upward angle, more up into the bottom portion of his upper neck than straight into the throat. The impact pushed him back forcefully into a concrete wall (with his head upturned at an angle), which stunned him and allowed me further options which ended the altercation.

The picture may or may not be an actual picture of a hand about to perform this strike. It may just be a generic hand picture. In actual use, the fingers are firmly held tight and indeed with a full force strike it would be difficult to actually keep them splayed open. Injuring the fingers would be unlikely as they aren't directly striking anything beyond possibly the lower portion of the pointer finger and the inside of the thumb. And keep in mind that the target area is a soft body target.

It is quite an effective strike and very useful as a reactionary strike to set up a counter strike. Or as a stand alone strike if angled more directly into the trachea.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's sometimes called a Jud-ee chop. Other times, it's a Ninj-ee chop.

Either way, Master Ken calls BS!!

$MasterKen.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In CMA, at least the ones I've trained in, we call that portion of the hand the tiger's mouth.

"Mouth" is often a common part of the name of this fist formation. I've known variations as cobra mouth, dragon's mouth, one of the eagle claw hands, and a form of palm strike. The name (and sometimes the targets) change with the principles that are being used to employ them. A very common target is the throat -- but it can also be used for limbs, too.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Mouth" is often a common part of the name of this fist formation. I've known variations as cobra mouth, dragon's mouth, one of the eagle claw hands, and a form of palm strike. The name (and sometimes the targets) change with the principles that are being used to employ them. A very common target is the throat -- but it can also be used for limbs, too.

Very true. I've seen it referred to as a tiger mouth strike in Korean arts as well. And in Koryo, it's used both against the throat but also (twice) against the knee.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No more chance of injuring the fingers than any other throat strike/grab, the fingers are kept together and I've yet to see anyone injure themselves. We primarily use it as part of a take down with an accompanying sweep/trip. As a strike it's usually part of a strike/grab while in close. Sometimes it's used from a strike into jaw control, which works rather nicely. Every single time.

But if you haven't tried it as part of a take down/trip, you should play with it and see.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your fingers can also break while in a fist.

Just saying...

OK yes there is a risk you will break your fingers.if you are going to suggest it is an inherent risk attached to fighting. But I think when looking at a technique the risk has to be higher than that normal risk you take.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again you are commenting on something of which you have no knowledge and I am not expanding on this on the internet.

This is why you get the flame wars you get.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Done properly, not the way it was done in your video, it is one of the more dangerous strikes.
:asian:

So from you experience of killing people with that shot. Or from anybody who has killed a guy with that shot. I understand death punches sound a bit cool but it is not as reliable a kill as you may have been told.

I would be impressed if you could find a death from it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why you get the flame wars you get.

So from you experience of killing people with that shot. Or from anybody who has killed a guy with that shot. I understand death punches sound a bit cool but it is not as reliable a kill as you may have been told.

Accept it or reject it but the way it is taught it is a devastating strike. Personally I don't know one that is more dangerous. If that creates a flame war, go for it but I am not posting stuff on the internet that idiots can misuse. You are the one talking of death punches. You said you have used it. I am saying that you may have used a strike like it.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would suggest to you that things exist outside of Youtube. The reason I suggest this to you is that you (and one other) seem to go to YT extensively in an attempt to find proof of what you claim. And if you find something, reasonable or not, you post it as some sort of absolute. I find this curious. People have experience(s) outside of a YT video and you should appreciate the opportunity to learn from them.

This is an effective strike in real world altercations. It can be a devastatingly effective strike when the altercation is at a deadly force level. It can be tailored, by adjusting the angle, to be effective at less than deadly force levels and can be used in conjunction with a controlling technique or a takedown. As I've mentioned, I've used this strike and work with individuals who have also used it as well, both striking, controlling and as a takedown. It can be effectively employed from standing, grappling or even on the ground.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would suggest to you that things exist outside of Youtube. The reason I suggest this to you is that you (and one other) seem to go to YT extensively in an attempt to find proof of what you claim. And if you find something, reasonable or not, you post it as some sort of absolute. I find this curious. People have experience(s) outside of a YT video and you should appreciate the opportunity to learn from them.

This is an effective strike in real world altercations. It can be a devastatingly effective strike when the altercation is at a deadly force level. It can be tailored, by adjusting the angle, to be effective at less than deadly force levels and can be used in conjunction with a controlling technique or a takedown. As I've mentioned, I've used this strike and work with individuals who have also used it as well, both striking, controlling and as a takedown. It can be effectively employed from standing, grappling or even on the ground.

So when you used it who performed the tracheotomy?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Accept it or reject it but the way it is taught it is a devastating strike. Personally I don't know one that is more dangerous. If that creates a flame war, go for it but I am not posting stuff on the internet that idiots can misuse. You are the one talking of death punches. You said you have used it. I am saying that you may have used a strike like it.

Well stomping people on the deck. Defiantly results in deaths. We have evidence for that as well as anecdotal accounts.

Punching people results in deaths.

Chokes result in deaths.

Positional asphyxia results in deaths.

Have you ever used this strike? Or one like it?

Latest Discussions