Your Gi

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, in my dojo, we're not really required to wear our gi's. I mean yes, it is required that we wear our belt, but Sensei isn't adamant about everything else. He prefers that we at least wear black or camo pants, but nothing else. Normally, we wear gi pants and a regular tee-shirt during the summer, and in winter we wear the gi top, but my pants tore and so I've been using my old pair of black jeans, with no complaints from anyone.

Back when I trained in BJJ, my instructor specifically ordered a particular gi for me, I never really understood why he singled me out, but I trusted him, so I wore it.

It was THE heaviest gi I'd ever seen. The shoulders were rigged with something so that it would be even heavier, and I felt over-heated almost all the time. The pants themselves were even heavy. I know most of you are thinking he got me a durable gi, but it was more than just durable, it was literally MEANT to be heavy. I looked around at my fellow students, wearing lightweight gi's, and taking them off if they got overheated. I attempted once, and only once, to remove my gi top to cool myself down. My instructor instantly jumped at me and told me to put it back on, making me promise not to take the gi top off at all while I trained with him.

Looking back on it now, I guess I can assume that the reason he gave me that gi was because I was the runt of the litter (considerably shorter, weaker and underweight compared to the rest of the class) and he wanted me to build up some muscle. I don't resent him for it, and enjoyed the experience so much that I still take out the old gi every once in a while and train in it.

So, does anyone else have similar stories about weighted gi's, or do you have a favorite gi you want to talk about?

I want to hear so that I can design a custom one for myself. Welcome to Pimp Your Gi!

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.80stees.com/products/Authentic-Cobra-Kai-Gi.asp

Authentic-Cobra-Kai-Gi.asp

You'll never need another.

Mark

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
He prefers that we at least wear black or camo pants, but nothing else. Normally, we wear gi pants and a regular tee-shirt during the summer, and in winter we wear the gi top, but my pants tore and so I've been using my old pair of black jeans, with no complaints from anyone.

Camo pants? Jeans?

Chitmunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I starte training in Hapkido while I was at Iowa State U. it was my first expierience with a Judo style Gi. I found it to be considerably heavier than the TKD Gi's I have used in the past, it was also different because the sleeves and pant legs were just a few inches shorter than what I was used to. It was uncomfortable at first, but when I got used to it I found that I preferred my workouts in it because I got a better sweat going, and the thicker material helped with falling practice.

I have noticed many instructors singling out new students whom have the most room to grow. A student who comes in with the right body style and a whole lot of talent can get recognition for being great students, but the unaverage student who you would think would have not talent at all is always the one who shows you something truly new, and expansive still using the principles of the art. your instructor probably pushed you hard because he wanted to see what you were really capable of, since you were willing to step up into a world filled with people bigger, and "better suited" to the art than you were.

When it comes to workout clothes I find that gi pants, and a loose fitting, long sleeve t-shirt are my favorite way to go becuase you get a very comfortable ensemble that soaks up your sweat well, that is very easy to move in. and it also replicates what people wear on the street most often so you get a good feel for real life senarios when doing partner drills.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I was younger, I would have recommended wearing the uniform to everyone. Now, as a somewhat experienced instructor, my prefference is "whatever". In class, I like if my students wear the traditional pants, but I really don't mind if they wear the top or a t-shirt or whatever they want. I personally think martial artists should train in a wide range of clothing styles. You never know when you may need to rely on your self-defense training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What sort of gi did your instructor get for you? Do you know what brand and style? I'm very curious.

BJJ gis tend to be pretty heavy. Even student grade gis tend to be at least 14 oz, heavier than in most other styles. The only things out there heavier are double weight Judo gis (which also work well, but are cut a little looser).

Oh, and my two favorite gis, by far are my black Lucky Gi (blessed by Buddha) and my blue Gameness Pearl. Both are terrific gis. Until I tie dye a gi, that is... then that one will be my favorite! :)

OP
Shinobi Teikiatsu

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember what it's called. The name was on the bag, but I threw that thing away years ago (right after I took the gi out of it, as a matter of fact)

But this thing is heavier than what the other students used, I can tell you that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't remember what it's called. The name was on the bag, but I threw that thing away years ago (right after I took the gi out of it, as a matter of fact)

But this thing is heavier than what the other students used, I can tell you that.
It doesn't have a tag anywhere on it? That's very weird.

Wait... even wierder... it's a BJJ gi and it doesn't have a PATCH on it anywhere??? :)

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I have to know what kind of gi this is. How long ago did you get it? This is a gi from Howard Liu. The brand is Howard Combat Kimono and it's widely regarded to be the heaviest, stiffest BJJ gi around. Did it look like this?

If not, it might be a judo gi. You can tell whether it's a Judo or BJJ gi easily by the fit. BJJ gis are made to fit tighter, are often a little shorter at the skirt of the gi and aren't as baggy through the legs and arms.

To give you a gauge, as well, my Lucky brand gi weighs about 6 lbs before class.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would anybody want that?

I think the real question is why would anybody not want that.:)

I stumbled across that site whilst looking for the "I gotta have more cowbell" tee shirt and thought that the Cobra Kai Gi was awesome! Not awesome enough for me to drop $120 on, but cool none the less. Not sure how I'd respond to encountering a real person wearing one, though.

Now one of those $20 Cobra Kai tee shirts is a different story altogether.

Mark

P.S. I really hate the Karate Kid movies. I wonder ho many other martial artists do as well. I also wonder if that hatred is because of the movies themselves, or due to the inane number of bad Mr. Miyagi quotes we've had tossed at us over the years.

Oh, and the Crane Kick.
Hate that too.

OP
Shinobi Teikiatsu

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, the gi doesn't look like that, it's more yellowish. I think it might be some form of a judo gi.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I much prefer when doing workouts, I mean real workouts, to wear the GI's bottoms and a t-shirt. And then, wnen test time comes or it's a formal affair, the full GI.

I have no time for gaudy GIs. None. No fancy stars and strips, silk, blue, black, camo,etc... White is the word. White. Yes I have a black bordered TKD GI (not the WTF bok.) Mine is more Tang So Do style. But white is 95 percent of the uniform.

I detest cool. And in some ways I detest rank. Kind of weird for a 5th dan.

Deaf

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I'm in the dojo I always wear my gi. Fact is for all the work done in the dojo a gi is designed for he rigors of it. I personally wouldn't want to wreck my own clothes (especially since I don't have a huge wardrobe anyways) so I use a nice 16oz heavyweight karate gi.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Colored belts are allowed to wear t-shirts with the school logo during July and August. I don't wear the t-shirts during training anymore as a matter of discipline. After all, I won't be able to wear them as a black belt. Truth be told, the karate gi I'm using is not that hot - it's 100% cotton (a bad choice because the thing shrinks if you put it in the dryer).and 14 oz. It breathes. Then again, when it's 80+ degrees in the dojang, it's hot no matter what.

Another practicality - red belts learn sleeve grips. Can't do sleeve grips with t-shirts. I suppose you could grab a person's forearm flesh though :) :)

I took judo a long time ago and remember how heavy the gi's were. I didn't realize that they helped with the impact of falling. I can see how they would be very helpful there. Fortunately, we had air conditioning during judo classes. Texas, you know.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got a 2nd hand jiujitsu gi from a local brand about 6 years ago and it's still flawless.
It has faded during the time ( black gi's always do i suppose ) and even being quite heavy it's still a great gi :)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear KI gis for both Karate and TKD, and only KI gis these days. We are allowed (in TKD) to wear the bottoms, our belts and a school T shirt in the summer, but I wear the gi full time.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use full gi for all classes, for both instructors and students. If you don't have your gi with you, then you are allowed to train in your regular clothes, but this is strongly discouraged.

On another note, the heavier gi's will actually help keep you a bit cooler than the lighter ones, since they tend to wick away perspiration more readily, instead of getting completely soaked, and sticking to the skin.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had to wear a school t-shirt last night though I don't like doing so. The reason was because my dobok top was still wet. I tested yesterday morning, went home and washed my dobok. I'm using the lightweight student pants so I just threw those in the dryer. The top has to air dry though. It's 100% cotton and no way is it going to dry in a few hours, especially in humid weather.

I could have worn the dobok to class without washing it. I could have...heck no! (Besides it would have still been wet from perspiration- blech.)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As MSK Hapkido includes a lot of full-circle throwing, anything other than a regular Judo gi (we call 'em dobaks ;)) just does NOT hold up.

Few places, if any, get more humid than southeast Missouri. We don't use an air conditioner. Ever.

There is a story of a new student who asked what time of the year we stop wearing judo tops and go to T-shirts.

We still laugh about that :)

Latest Discussions