isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever gone to the store and you see a adult or a kid wearing their GI and belt ?
have you ever confront them and say your not suppose to wear that in the store?

It irritates me that some adult and kids wearing their gi and belt at the store what are they trying to prove that they know karate taekwondo and their this belt or that belt what a show off sometimes i wanna confront then and tell them your not suppose to wear your Gi and belt at the store its like your a show off

for me when i get out of my dojo i take off my belt and if ever i go to the store or somewere i take off my belt and GI because people might thing im a show off that what my sifu told me always take your Gi or Bwlt off when you go somewere like to the store because they might think your a show off and they gona challenge you

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're the one with the problem, not them... How is wearing a yellow belt "showing off?"

I've treated easily 20,000 people from assaults over the last 30+ years. None of them were assaulted because they were wearing a gi. Not one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's annoying to the extent that if they wear them outside class a lot and then come into training with an unwashed and crumpled Gi.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I knew a TKD guy who used to wear a t shirt GI pants and his black belt at the shops.

It made me giggle a bit because he would had had to finish training take his belt off, take his GI top off and then put the belt back on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew a TKD guy who used to wear a t shirt GI pants and his black belt at the shops.

It made me giggle a bit because he would had had to finish training take his belt off, take his GI top off and then put the belt back on.

I'd giggle too.

It's not uncommon for me to go to and from the dojang wearing my dobak pants (they're just black pants, after all) and a t-shirt or tank top. When I get to the Y, I put on my top and belt, then take them off before I leave. When I'm just teaching (as opposed to training) it's not like I'm going to be all nasty and need a shower before I leave.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
your not suppose to wear that in the store?

According to who?

my sifu told me always take your Gi or Bwlt off when you go somewere like to the store

This may come as a shock, but your sifu isn't the boss of martial artists everywhere...

i wanna confront then and tell them your not suppose to wear your Gi and belt at the store

... and neither are you.

because they might think your a show off and they gona challenge you

Don't think I've ever heard of this happening. If it did happen somewhere, a store seems like an unlikely venue. Most people aren't looking to issue fight challenges while shopping for groceries. Maybe if you wore your gi to a dive bar, someone might start something.

I don't wear my gi while I'm out shopping because that would be silly. It doesn't even have pockets. Also I'd either be coming from a workout (in which case my gi is would be sweaty and smelly) or else I'd be going to a workout later (in which case I'd be showing up for class with a dirty gi.) If I did wear my gi around town , though, no one would really have any authority to tell me not to do so. (I would certainly understand if you rolled your eyes at me for being silly.)

I'm not sure I've ever seen an adult out doing their regular shopping while wearing a gi. I see kids in their gis sometimes, and I assume their parents are shopping after picking up the kids from class. That's really no different from the kids wearing their baseball uniforms or ballerina tutus - I assume they'll change into regular clothes when they get home.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Two completely different responses to this.

Kids: There is nothing wrong with it. Get over yourself. If my kid is wearing a gi and you, a complete stranger, presumes to comment on it, we are going to have a problem of some kind. I will likely start by telling you to kindly screw off.

Adults: Is it dorky? Yeah. But no dorkier than wearing a softball uniform to the store on the way home from a game. You are free to judge them, but understand that they are judging you for your man bun, toe shoes, or some other thing about you that is lame at the same time.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever gone to the store and you see a adult or a kid wearing their GI and belt ?

It irritates me that some adult and kids wearing their gi and belt at the store what are they trying to prove that they know karate taekwondo and their this belt or that belt what a show off sometimes i wanna confront then and tell them your not suppose to wear your Gi and belt at the store its like your a show off

for me when i get out of my dojo i take off my belt and if ever i go to the store or somewere i take off my belt and GI because people might thing im a show off that what my sifu told me always take your Gi or Bwlt off when you go somewere like to the store because they might think your a show off and they gona challenge you
Yeah I have and you know what I do....I get on with my day and don't think about it because it makes no difference at all to me.

You do what you want to do thats fine and everyone else can do what they want to do why is it any of your business what someone else wears. There could be hundreds of reasons why they do it.

You say you want to confront them....how arrogant must you be to do that to a total stranger who's doing nothing wrong...and yes I have done so as my water bottle spilled once and soaked through my other clothes so yeah I went to the shop in my gi...what of it? If you came and confronted me about it I'd tell you right where to go.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Two completely different responses to this.

Kids: There is nothing wrong with it. Get over yourself. If my kid is wearing a gi and you, a complete stranger, presumes to comment on it, we are going to have a problem of some kind. I will likely start by telling you to kindly screw off.

Adults: Is it dorky? Yeah. But no dorkier than wearing a softball uniform to the store on the way home from a game. You are free to judge them, but understand that they are judging you for your man bun, toe shoes, or some other thing about you that is lame at the same time.
If they did it to me it'd be a lot less kindly lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As pretty much everyone's said it's absolutely none of your business if I want to walk around in a bright red gi and black belt I will. Also my kids always used to wear their gi after class simply because there was no good changing areas and it was all very cramped so just easier to change when I get home. If anyone had said anything I'd tell them to get stuffed.

No one walks around in a gi to show off because frankly no one outside martial arts clubs actually care at all. If someone sees someone in a gi they'll think oh look that person must do karate...and then they move on and not think about it again.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also by your logic does that make you a show off because you've got an icon of you in your gi and brown belt holding a certificate....isn't that basically the same thing...showing your belt and uniform to a bunch of strangers...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i don't know about challenge, round here there is,a good,chance,someone will take the mickey out of you and you could end up in a fight. Not something i would do, unless it was one of them cool kung fu gi in black , then i might.

the same rule applies as with sports wear generaly,grown men shouldn't wear out and about it unless they look like they are sporty, otherwise you just look like a fool,

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Has it occurred to you maybe they were doing a little shopping on the way back from the dojo?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
they should be treated to the same mockery as if they wore their ice skates on the way back from the rink
Not really, its actually pretty common to see where I come from(not the ice skates lol)

Parents pick their kids up from practice, or dude is heading home and the wife needs eggs or something. Not always time or even a place to change in every dojo, club, kwoon, or dojang you know, and there are schedules to keep.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
they should be treated to the same mockery as if they wore their ice skates on the way back from the rink

Unless you're a giant douche canoe, that will generally be none. Most people have the basic common decency to mind their own business.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless you're a giant douche canoe, that will generally be none. Most people have the basic common decency to mind their own business.
no people will be mocking them, they may do it quietly at a distance, but mocking just the same

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kids, they can wear anything, it’s one of the great things about being a kid.
As for adults - I think it’s wonderful that Martial Arts has become so popular that a grown man could be seen in a Gi and people would actually know what it was.

P.S. When I read D-Dog’s term “douche canoe” I spilled my coffee.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one seems to notice much when my son wears his gi......my sumo wrestling loinclothe.....now that's a whole different subject.