Your Gi

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wear a MAP 13.8 ounce brushed-cotton uniform. It's cheaper than the 16 ounce gis and still serviceable. I have 3 so I can rotate them through and they've lasted a few years with no problems. Time to dye one of them, though.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is Very strict about uniforms. We wear uniforms at all times during training. It is traditional. I actually have a chung do kwan uniform I wear during summer( its lighter) and then a formal uniform for the winter (my avatar uniform)

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a lightweight black gi, from the local sporting good's store. We are allowed to wear the club shirt or a red t-shirt under the jacket, or wear only the jacket. Unfortunately for the ladies, they must always wear t-shirts for modesty sake. I am considering getting a heavier gi because mine now resembles pajamas.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a lightweight black gi, from the local sporting good's store. We are allowed to wear the club shirt or a red t-shirt under the jacket, or wear only the jacket. Unfortunately for the ladies, they must always wear t-shirts for modesty sake. I am considering getting a heavier gi because mine now resembles pajamas.

I overheat wearing a t-shirt under my dobok top - so I sewed some velcro into it where it crosses when closed. No more modesty problem.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I overheat wearing a t-shirt under my dobok top - so I sewed some velcro into it where it crosses when closed. No more modesty problem.
Great Idea Kacey, I'll pass that on to my wife.

billybybose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We use lightwieght pro force black gi.Sensei sells them at his cost which was $15.00.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Clever :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only worn a lightweight dogi once. We were working on a sacrifice throw called tomoe nage. My training partner managed to rip the dogi top right off my back.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ugh! C.K.-they were the bad guys in the KK movies.

Meanwhile, a Judo gi was and still is the heaviest gi I know of, it even rivals "canvas" type gi's. There are a lot of reasons for wearing one but the most obvious one is .. you're practicing judo. :)

And while practicing in normal clothes, be it camo pants, jeans, etc., might have its advantages down the road, your clothing bill will def go up. :)

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I come from a very traditional Korean school and I required to wear my uniform at all time, plus we aren't allowed to wear it outside of the school, even to step outside to retrieve something, very disrespectful. I thinks its because we have strict dress code but wearing cargo pants and bluejeans mortifies me. We had a guest come to our class one night and he wore a Japanese flag patch from his previous school and we spent all night trying to rip it off during throwing him. I hear kickboxing just wears shorts and tshirts sounds like some need to do that art.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I come from a very traditional Korean school and I required to wear my uniform at all time, plus we aren't allowed to wear it outside of the school, even to step outside to retrieve something, very disrespectful. I thinks its because we have strict dress code but wearing cargo pants and bluejeans mortifies me. We had a guest come to our class one night and he wore a Japanese flag patch from his previous school and we spent all night trying to rip it off during throwing him. I hear kickboxing just wears shorts and tshirts sounds like some need to do that art.

You sound like you would feel right at home in our dojang, sir :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first gi was a fairly light medium quality one. After one year of using it I swear I must have used a kilometer of thread to stich up the frequent tears. In one class finally both arms came resulting in the cobra kai look. Been using heavier gis since then.

Latest Discussions