You WILL get cut if someone has a knife. I disagree....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not distance or training, worst is when you are not expecting. You cannot be on the lookout all the time, one has to live life!!!

Is there much of a point discussing tactics to situations we basically can do nothing about?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is there much of a point discussing tactics to situations we basically can do nothing about?
If you are expecting a fight, yes. But in those street attacks by crazy people, are you telling me you are on the lookout all the time? What kind of life will that be?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes they will. There isn't really an exclusive knife attack.

Here we go.

Old mate is knife waving like a mad thing.
He’s really not waving it around at the point of attack and seems to make a very distinct hammer grip type stab. In training vids of untrained law enforcement caught off guard, the officer almost always steps back into the zone of max impact out of panic. A trained person will tend to step into the attack (zero pressure) and attempt to control the weapon.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The pink flamingo seems like a decent night out.

The pink flamingo seems like a decent night out.
thumbs-up-okay.gif

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are expecting a fight, yes. But in those street attacks by crazy people, are you telling me you are on the lookout all the time? What kind of life will that be?
He doesn't Alan..
Don't waste time on it.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The problem with hypothetical are they are a set of infinite possibilities. In which case nothing matters.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He doesn't Alan..
Don't waste time on it.
When I go out, I hold the cane in my hand like holding a stick and walk with a bounce. I make sure people know I am NOT using the cane to walk!!! If that discourage some from attacking me, the cane serves the purpose.

There are so many attacks on older Asians here, if I have to keep worrying and look around, then I might as well not go out. I look around if I remember, I am not going to keep looking and looking all the time expecting people to attack me. I want to live.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I go out, I hold the cane in my hand like holding a stick and walk with a bounce. I make sure people know I am NOT using the cane to walk!!! If that discourage some from attacking me, the cane serves the purpose.

There are so many attacks on older Asians here, if I have to keep worrying and look around, then I might as well not go out. I look around if I remember, I am not going to keep looking and looking all the time expecting people to attack me. I want to live.

There are percentages. If you look before you cross a road. You have less chance of being hit by a car.

Now could a car come flying out of an aeroplane or something and hit you giving you no chance?

Well yes.

Sos.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are percentages. If you look before you cross a road. You have less chance of being hit by a car.

Now could a car come flying out of an aeroplane or something and hit you giving you no chance?

Well yes.

Sos.
And even without going that far, a car could blow through at 150 KPH. Even if you look, you probably won’t see that coming.

But that’s not the percentages. And it’s also something you can’t realistically plan for on a city street. So you do what you can.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a sad world that one may be suddenly attacked while walking on the street. But as you say, living with paranoia every day is not the way to live. It's a fact that cowardly attackers target those that look unable to defend themselves. We can, however, notch up our situational awareness a bit, have a confident posture and train ourselves in self-defense. Sometimes we read about this riff raff biting off more than they can chew. I love those stories.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing that pushed up the chances of random attacks is where you live. Disclaimer: non political.
where i live it was fairly peaceful up until 2015 when a certain woman in Germany decided to open the borders. 3 camps around & in the town of immigrants from every 3rd world hole. Now it's Ukrainians & Russians pouring in. If you think this isn't going to affect Europeans cities then you're crazy or living in a bubble.
I've lived in my part of town for many years, now people don't like to walk the streets at night. Indeed two stabbings less than 10 minutes from me. One a young girl in the neck & one street away from me a guy was cycling along in the evening and as he passed a guy , the guy without warning stabbed him. I'm telling you the truth here. So my point is other factors come into play here. One poster made an absolutely ridiculous statement on this thread about being hit by a car or a car flying out of a plane. I would like to say my honest opinion about the said Poster but I'll probably be banned.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another thing that pushed up the chances of random attacks is where you live. Disclaimer: non political.
where i live it was fairly peaceful up until 2015 when a certain woman in Germany decided to open the borders. 3 camps around & in the town of immigrants from every 3rd world hole. Now it's Ukrainians & Russians pouring in. If you think this isn't going to affect Europeans cities then you're crazy or living in a bubble.
I've lived in my part of town for many years, now people don't like to walk the streets at night. Indeed two stabbings less than 10 minutes from me. One a young girl in the neck & one street away from me a guy was cycling along in the evening and as he passed a guy , the guy without warning stabbed him. I'm telling you the truth here. So my point is other factors come into play here. One poster made an absolutely ridiculous statement on this thread about being hit by a car or a car flying out of a plane. I would like to say my honest opinion about the said Poster but I'll probably be banned.
I know exactly what you mean, you should be happy she got defeated. You read about bombing in Sweden? Europe is changing for the better......After all the big mess. We are now getting worst. Not only migrants, they release criminals from jail................

Until the beginning of last year, I was just spending more time doing weights, kick boxing at home just as aerobics. It's because of all the crimes, I started to practice stick fight, now knife fight!!! I used to do about 4 hours a week, now it's over 6 hours after adding the sticks and knife.

Just the last 2 days, two police got killed and one in critical condition being ambushed, attacking helpless disable people all over the place. News of these everyday.

The worst is people here keep talking about all the defense and keep saying situation awareness, problem is how can anyone be looking over the shoulder every minute? One old person that need to use a wheelchair got stabbed from behind in a fast food place. You cannot even eat in peace. I think the more important thing as people get old is EXERCISE and have more muscle and mobile. So they don't look weak and helpless. Most attacker choose old and weak ones. that's why I hold my cane like a stick ready to fight when I walk outside.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times. The statement that you will get cut if you have to defend yourself against a knife. It is almost always spoken absolute terms. No question about it it will happen!!!
I think it’s probably a clumsy shorthand way of saying, knives are very dangerous, relatively easy with which to inflict injury and thus one should treat defence against then with commensurate caution.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, you should be happy she got defeated. You read about bombing in Sweden? Europe is changing for the better......After all the big mess. We are now getting worst. Not only migrants, they release criminals from jail................

Until the beginning of last year, I was just spending more time doing weights, kick boxing at home just as aerobics. It's because of all the crimes, I started to practice stick fight, now knife fight!!! I used to do about 4 hours a week, now it's over 6 hours after adding the sticks and knife.

Just the last 2 days, two police got killed and one in critical condition being ambushed, attacking helpless disable people all over the place. News of these everyday.

The worst is people here keep talking about all the defense and keep saying situation awareness, problem is how can anyone be looking over the shoulder every minute? One old person that need to use a wheelchair got stabbed from behind in a fast food place. You cannot even eat in peace. I think the more important thing as people get old is EXERCISE and have more muscle and mobile. So they don't look weak and helpless. Most attacker choose old and weak ones. that's why I hold my cane like a stick ready to fight when I walk outside.
I always tell older chaps ( myself included as I'm 56) to pump some iron to look strong. We can't stop aging but we can try our best to hold onto some muscle & strength. Look like a mean son of a ***** 😃 look like you'll handle Business.
We're on the same wavelength Alan
Appearance does help too. I mean I see it when I go out in a t shirt how young Punks just think twice, move out my way. Weight trained all my adult life, tattooed, shaved head. I am that Bull.
a9b0ad487e3c58f17aeb6cfd69b9c12e.gif

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it’s probably a clumsy shorthand way of saying, knives are very dangerous, relatively easy with which to inflict injury and thus one should treat defence against then with commensurate caution.
Knife is very dangerous, it's very hard to believe one can be unscathed fighting someone with a knife. Even if I play with knife alone, I still have to be very careful!!!

People even said a lot of knives people use are not sharp!!! Don't count on it!!! At least I can say my knives are SHARP. I am into sharpening knives, to put into perspective, I bought over 10 knives in $45 to $70 range which is middle of the road like Kubey, Off-Grid, Kizer brands. NONE of them came sharp. I have to sharpen every one of them. My test is folding paper towel into a stack, sharp is cutting at least 15 layers with motion of 1" slice(close to 1/2" deep into the stack). All the new knives only cut like 2 to 4 layers when they first arrived new. I am talking about SHARP. Anyone got touched by my knives, they'll be cut.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knife is very dangerous, it's very hard to believe one can be unscathed fighting someone with a knife. Even if I play with knife alone, I still have to be very careful!!!

People even said a lot of knives people use are not sharp!!! Don't count on it!!! At least I can say my knives are SHARP. I am into sharpening knives, to put into perspective, I bought over 10 knives in $45 to $70 range which is middle of the road like Kubey, Off-Grid, Kizer brands. NONE of them came sharp. I have to sharpen every one of them. My test is folding paper towel into a stack, sharp is cutting at least 15 layers with motion of 1" slice(close to 1/2" deep into the stack). All the new knives only cut like 2 to 4 layers when they first arrived new. I am talking about SHARP. Anyone got touched by my knives, they'll be cut.
I thought there was a court order requiring you to be supervised when using sharp tools? 😉

I love sharpening stuff two, but I’m not very good at it, despite having all the kit and watching numerous Youtube clips. It’s the lack of regular practise, I think.

I used to work in the (Steel) city where a famous scalpel manufacturer, Swan Morton, was located. I was given a tour of the facilities by one of my ex-patients and it was truly fascinating. Scalpels are sharper than…🤔…the wit of some of the poster’s on here, but the ladies who checked the edges, did so by eye, over a polarised light source, fanning stacks of blades in their hands like a pack of cards!😳 The manager was worried about when these ageing women retired, he would be unable to replace them and it couldn’t be done as well by machine!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Guy didn´t have a knife but attacked people. how cool is this he ties him up & films it all....:D
But here´s a question, do you get some BJJ guys who purposly get involved in a maybe not so dramatic situation to promote their schools? Film it? not saying this guy did.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another context I hear absolutes in is when firing a gun in self-defense. "You will not use your sights in a gunfight," is a phrase I have heard so many times. This is simply not a fact. Many will not, but some can.

But when people believe this, they don't even try to use theirs sights. This is the danger in thinking in absolutes like this. It can demotivate students to even try.
The two metrics are so different, but both have a common theme.
An untrained/unconditioned person using either a knife or a gun is going to be sloppy. May not use the sights and will not keep their edge sharp. Regardless, both weapons exponentially increase the probability that you will get hurt. That is a constant.
To me, that is where the similarities end. Now it gets into ranged vs. un-ranged weapons and everything a person should do changes.

The main emphasis to phrases like you said in the OP is to condition the mind of a person training against a weapon that getting cut does not equal instant death.
I have seen videos and read articles about an officer who was shot nine (9) times and did not die and ultimately took down the perp. Another video showed an officer who totally freaked out from single, non-lethal shot, had a heart attack and died. Were there extenuating circumstances (overweight, etc...)? Sure, but the mental process applies to the point.

"I am positively going to live" or "I am positively going to die". Which one sounds better to you?

Latest Discussions