The High Art of Tactical Folding Knife Deployment!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I almost always have a folding knife on my person due to needing it for various jobs. It is with what I do simply a necessity. With that being as it is through the years I have come up with many way's to tactically deploy a folding knife for a life threatening personal protection situation. From stepping backwards and deploying and then moving offline to moving at a 45% angle backwards and offline to moving sideways and to moving forward. Deploying with one hand or two hands and using the extra hand or elbow (if a two handed deployment) to keep space. I also practice Iaido so my deployment in many ways is similar particularly forward in deliver a cut while deploying or angled 45% and delivering a cut to the attacking opponents tool bearing hand. So many variations and I am always looking for more.

So how do you practice deploying your folding knife?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't practice deploying it nearly enough. I know I should, but it's always an afterthought!

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My concept of training is very similar. Luckily, I have a private office and can practice while on the phone or during mental health breaks. I'm of the opinion, if you don't spend at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing deployment and use, you shouldn't think about using a knife for self defense.

It reminds me of my mother who kept a revolver in the bottom of her sock drawer, never once fired it and didn't understand why I didn't think she was sufficiently protected. Buying a knife and sticking it in your pocket doesn't automatically give you the ability to use it.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My concept of training is very similar. Luckily, I have a private office and can practice while on the phone or during mental health breaks. I'm of the opinion, if you don't spend at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing deployment and use, you shouldn't think about using a knife for self defense.

It reminds me of my mother who kept a revolver in the bottom of her sock drawer, never once fired it and didn't understand why I didn't think she was sufficiently protected. Buying a knife and sticking it in your pocket doesn't automatically give you the ability to use it.

Absolutely Mark that is a really good point in that if you are going to have a tool ie. folding knife for this thread then you need to sufficiently practice deployment and technique so that in the moment you will be able to access and use it.
icon14.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very important, especially, to know exactly where things are on the knife by feel. I have either a button or a pin on all my street-legal knifes, and they are designed with the pen-clip so that, when you withdraw the knife, your fingers are in the right place to access the opening aid and the knife is correctly oriented. But if you don't practice getting the `feel' of pull-access-open (usually with a wrist flick), it's really astonishing how awkward it can be. And this is independent of your body motion to a fighting position while deploying...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Training to deploy folders, & pressure testing it, is just as important as training any other skill. My every day carry knives are almost always Cold Steel, so I buy cheaper knives at the parking lot sale, dull them, and use them to practice drawing so I don't wear out my edc's. I know that's not an option for everyone but alot of companies make good trainers.
To me, if you can't effectively deploy a tool, you might as well leave it at home. It's doing you no good.
Practicing drawing, unless you see an attack coming or just happen to already have the tool out, will need to be realistically practiced after first contact.
Use the other hand/arm and footwork to create space and take the deploying hand away from the opponent since many arts practice techniques to prevent someone from drawing weapons.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That being said, I most often use a thumb-assisted wrist flick to deploy, but I practice a two-handed draw for control & stability. I've see too many people throw their tools or botch the one-handed draw&deploy, when spending a second to simply perform a two-handed deploy would prevent all of this.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That being said, I most often use a thumb-assisted wrist flick to deploy, but I practice a two-handed draw for control & stability. I've see too many people throw their tools or botch the one-handed draw&deploy, when spending a second to simply perform a two-handed deploy would prevent all of this.

Absolutely the two handed deploy is a safer bet when the pressure is on and especially if you get an adrenaline dump.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My present folder has a thumb lever on it but it still opens (and stays open) on it's own with a quick flick of the wrist and I like that. The technique I use varies with the present situation. But if it's a stand-off type scenario and I can see there's no other alternative but to utilize the weapon then it will be opened just behind my hip and rotated back to where the tip is pointed upwards. My attackers may (or may not) hear the click of the blade locking in, at that point it won't matter. It's on.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My attackers may (or may not) hear the click of the blade locking in, at that point it won't matter. It's on.

We were talking about this in class and we came to the conclusion that the click from a forceful opening should be something that you seek out in your deployment during a time of potential adrenal rush, since your perceptions might not be so sensitive at that point to feel the lock in the hand. That loud *CLICK* , however, is something that you can train to recognize as meaning the tool is now safely deployed, locked open, and ready for use.
& perhaps if you're not sure about the lock, open with a slash or chopping attack, to guarantee the lock.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should also train to deploy with no click or to minimize and mask it so that no one will ever know.

While our own Paul and I were at a seminar training wiht some knife work. We also worked some ground work. We would deply while in the guard and or mount or where ever. I had my Emerson CQC-7B trainer with me. It allowed me to practice with what I carry. I could deploy and thumb open. I could also deploy one handed and flick to open. I could also use the wave the pull and open. The last two usually had the nice "click" as mentioned. So while Paul was in Mount pounding on my face I knew it was open. The issue like you said was so did he.

I carry my trainer with me and practice with it.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While our own Paul and I were at a seminar training wiht some knife work. We also worked some ground work. We would deply while in the guard and or mount or where ever. I had my Emerson CQC-7B trainer with me. It allowed me to practice with what I carry. I could deploy and thumb open. I could also deploy one handed and flick to open. I could also use the wave the pull and open. The last two usually had the nice "click" as mentioned. So while Paul was in Mount pounding on my face I knew it was open. The issue like you said was so did he.

I carry my trainer with me and practice with it.

Absolutely being able to deploy when grappling or trapping or once a joint lock has been achieved is equally important. There are other deployment methods that I personally practice after a strike whether it be a hand strike or a low line kick. Simply put you need to practice in multiple varieties and ways so that if you ever need to deploy a tactical folding knife that you will be able to.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should also train to deploy with no click or to minimize and mask it so that no one will ever know.
I do that too when I reach a state of high alert but yet haven't been approached or attacked that I'm able to open the blade with my thumb and then catch the blade lock before it clicks and able to do it all with one hand. Takes a little practice but that's easy enough to do when you're sitting there watching tv or riding in the back seat of the car. :D

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I can recommend a folder as a primary bladed weapon. The fixed blade is going to be faster in all cases. As for legalities, always be sure you are carrying a legal blade according to your jurisdiction.

Folders are popular, but are just not as good as a fixed blade, IMHO. If you carry with defense in mind, I think they are 2nd rate.

Fixed blades are live immediately after the draw
More fixed blades are double edged
More fixed blades are built better for thrusting
More fixed blades have a better grip

I'm sure there are good "tactical" folders (love that term) but if self defense is your primary concern, why start second rate?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I can recommend a folder as a primary bladed weapon. The fixed blade is going to be faster in all cases. As for legalities, always be sure you are carrying a legal blade according to your jurisdiction.

Folders are popular, but are just not as good as a fixed blade, IMHO. If you carry with defense in mind, I think they are 2nd rate.

Fixed blades are live immediately after the draw
More fixed blades are double edged
More fixed blades are built better for thrusting
More fixed blades have a better grip

I'm sure there are good "tactical" folders (love that term) but if self defense is your primary concern, why start second rate?
Well for one thing it's all I can afford right now and for another thing a fixed isn't that easy (or comfortable) to conceal. Where as a pocket clipped folder does very nicely ... if people LOOK they'll see that I've a knife in my back pocket but it's not as "alarming" as say a fixed blade in a scabbard/sheath hanging off my belt (which I rarely use anyway).
I do agree with your points of having a fixed. But I feel okay with the tact folder (yeah I like that term too :D ) for the time being. :asian:

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well for one thing it's all I can afford right now and for another thing a fixed isn't that easy (or comfortable) to conceal. Where as a pocket clipped folder does very nicely ... if people LOOK they'll see that I've a knife in my back pocket but it's not as "alarming" as say a fixed blade in a scabbard/sheath hanging off my belt (which I rarely use anyway).
I do agree with your points of having a fixed. But I feel okay with the tact folder (yeah I like that term too :D ) for the time being. :asian:

Agreed on the visibility thing. But it is the same with carrying firearms. If we apply the same logic, a small, comfortable fixed blade sure seems like the way to go. And when seconds count, and adrenaline kicks in, the margin for error increases while your time decreases. Good topic though!

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I almost always have a folding knife on my person due to needing it for various jobs. It is with what I do simply a necessity. With that being as it is through the years I have come up with many way's to tactically deploy a folding knife for a life threatening personal protection situation. From stepping backwards and deploying and then moving offline to moving at a 45% angle backwards and offline to moving sideways and to moving forward. Deploying with one hand or two hands and using the extra hand or elbow (if a two handed deployment) to keep space. I also practice Iaido so my deployment in many ways is similar particularly forward in deliver a cut while deploying or angled 45% and delivering a cut to the attacking opponents tool bearing hand. So many variations and I am always looking for more.

So how do you practice deploying your folding knife?

I carry a folder as well, but its in my left pocket (I'm right handed). I use it for standard purposes, as you do. Tactically speaking, the problem with folded is blades are - well? they fold.

I use the knife the reverse grip, and the use of a folding blade on any reverse motion in the reverse grip (trapping, etc.), you may end up missing a pinky - I don't trust any mechanical action like that. So, I carry a fixed blade in my right pocket, some times the rear pocket, sometimes the front. Its a small Gerber Guardian. What I really like is not the blade so much, its the small clasping scabbard it resides in. Front or back pocket, it reveals only about 3/4" of the handle, enough for the webbing of my hand between the thumb and index finger.

I practice thumbing the handle, which has a slightly coke bottle grip, all the time. On the draw, the corner of the scabbard catches on the pocket seam - every time. Its a quick draw, the weapon comes into battery quickly and succinctly. Like a gun, the draw is as important as the use, I believe.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

Latest Discussions