You WILL get cut if someone has a knife. I disagree....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No attacker comes and says, "hey are you ready" :rolleyes: most cases you won´t see it until it´s in his hand also a lot of people get attacked from behind/ side sucker punch style.
from your statement you´ve probably never had a situation outside of your dojo. watch the Emin Boztepe video i posted he talks sense about knife defence.

I have been in more situations than Emin Boztepe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No attacker comes and says, "hey are you ready" :rolleyes: most cases you won´t see it until it´s in his hand also a lot of people get attacked from behind/ side sucker punch style.
from your statement you´ve probably never had a situation outside of your dojo. watch the Emin Boztepe video i posted he talks sense about knife defence.

You once again made very bad assumptions about others.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ditto....

yeah OK Gerry... haha
The guys a pro Gerry you clearly know nothing about him. Please stop it...laughing so hard !
Just for reference, the person you are saying has never had a situation outside of his dojo has been in many situations due to his line of work. It's not a knock on Emin (at least, it may be but not purely), so much as a knock on you making assumptions about posters here.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No attacker comes and says, "hey are you ready" :rolleyes:
I am not sure if this stetment is true. Cold killers will not show the knive, but robbers? They use the knives as a scare tool and they show knives on purpose. And in many street altercations there is the moment of "This is my knife and I am going to kill you".

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure if this stetment is true. Cold killers will not show the knive, but robbers? They use the knives as a scare tool and they show knives on purpose. And in many street altercations there is the moment of "This is my knife and I am going to kill you".
You have a point there but the ones who will use it don't wave it around.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also even cold killers need opportunity. So you don't let them get hands in to pockets.

I mean it is pretty obvious if someone is pissed at you and is hiding their hands. He may not be up for a fist fight.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mean it is pretty obvious if someone is pissed at you and is hiding their hands. He may not be up for a fist fight.
It's not obvious, so why do people get sucker punched? You talk like you can see every situation..sorry but not true.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are different situations. The video of the guy waving the knife at the police obviously has mental problem. For robbing, they likely show the knife hoping you will give up and hand over everything peacefully. BUT if a person intends to do you harm, I doubt he will pull out the knife and wave it around. That's the scary one, how are you going to be on alert all the time.

There is no one right way.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
These were popular in Glasgow Scotland back in the day. Very dangerous

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is hard to defend if someone is out to get you. Luckily, I don't think that happens that often unless you really stepped on someone's toes bad. I myself cannot imagine anyone will do it to me.

For the other situation, I always carry my crook cane and I practice stick fight for over a year and half on my own. I will have over 10" of reach advantage over the knife. Hopefully that will be enough of an advantage for me.

The other question is how much they practice using a knife before they go out and use the knife? I would not carry any weapon if I don't practice with it. I start carrying a folding knife in my pocket, I start practicing on heavy bags and in air. I even made a knife that is safe to use on the heavy bag. I practice shanking and cutting learning from FMA knife which is very similar to the movement of escrima stick fight.

Carrying a weapon without practicing is more dangerous than not carrying anything. Stick fight was the only reason I join this place, I really don't care that much about bare knuckles, just join in the talk about MMA and TMA.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is hard to defend if someone is out to get you. Luckily, I don't think that happens that often unless you really stepped on someone's toes bad. I myself cannot imagine anyone will do it to me.

For the other situation, I always carry my crook cane and I practice stick fight for over a year and half on my own. I will have over 10" of reach advantage over the knife. Hopefully that will be enough of an advantage for me.

The other question is how much they practice using a knife before they go out and use the knife? I would not carry any weapon if I don't practice with it. I start carrying a folding knife in my pocket, I start practicing on heavy bags and in air. I even made a knife that is safe to use on the heavy bag. I practice shanking and cutting learning from FMA knife which is very similar to the movement of escrima stick fight.

Carrying a weapon without practicing is more dangerous than not carrying anything. Stick fight was the only reason I join this place, I really don't care that much about bare knuckles, just join in the talk about MMA and TMA.
The situation is different if you're attacked by say 2 guys. Impossible to watch everything if they're moving fast, one moves to your side..cut, stab. You're in trouble. Even the dumbest kid can do it.
Fact is though even kids like to play with blades & even without martial arts training can be fast and dangerous

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
These were popular in Glasgow Scotland back in the day. Very dangerous
Abouit 25 years ago my punkrocker friend called Fantomas was attacked in a tram by two nazi-skinheads. Before he managed to pull the razor out of his pocket he lost one tooth and earne some bruises.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Abouit 25 years ago my punkrocker friend called Fantomas was attacked in a tram by two nazi-skinheads. Before he managed to pull the razor out of his pocket he lost one tooth and earne some bruises.
Cool story bro

Latest Discussions