Why "Knife arts" will get you killed

OP
R

Richard S.

you know, if you would have just let him keep on talking i bet it would have gotten a lot funnier.....SHADOWHUNTER PLEASE COME BACK! YOU'RE ONE OF THE BEST FOOLS WE'VE HAD!!......

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
"My response was not the standard one. I started singing "close to you" while taking off my clothes. Yes it sounds strange, but I was dealing with massive jet lag and stress at that point. The two guys backed off about the time I got my shirt off and were in their van and starting to drive off by the time I started pulling my underwear off. I stood there as they drove away, looked around at the crowd that had gathered to watch and bowed before putting on my stuff and driving home."

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE TACTIC!!!

Unless of course:

You forget the words to the song.

Your attackers are psychopatic gays who then take advantage of your delicate situation.

You get arrested for public indecency.

Your attackers assume you're kinky, and have a special animosity for kinky people.

They hate your singing.

They hate the song (I sure do).

They mistake you for Karen Carpenter and try to force feed you a sandwich.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
B

beunbad

Shadow hunter sounds like a real bonified operator type. You you know the type, 5' 6" 240lbs 28 % bodyfat who used to be a navy seal and taught the cia how to be better spies.....

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Shadow hunter sounds like a real bonified operator type. You you know the type, 5' 6" 240lbs 28 % bodyfat who used to be a navy seal and taught the cia how to be better spies....."

Oh, God...don't get me started. Ack! Too late:

Guy comes up to me after we did a public demo, EXACT match to that above description, only fatter, and shows me a SEAL membership I.D. card that looked like he ordered it out of the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine, and says, "I used to do this [martial arts], still do, I train Special Forces." He weighed at least 350, had a pony tail, biker leathers. Five six.

Guy comes up to me at the local "Y", sees my uniform and belt, says "I used to do that when I was in the Army...Special Forces...do you do FULL CONTACT? I don't want to do it unless its full contact." I should have hit him full contact right then. He'd have liked that. Might have cost me my "Y" membership.

Guy tells me he was in the Special Forces in Viet Nam..."I know how to do this stuff, but only how to kill. The killing is easy. Turning it off is hard"...a line right out of "The Hunted", and ten years before the movie. He got arrested for child molesting handicapped kids a year later.

The list goes on.

None of these guys were "Spec Ops". None of them could tell you the burn time of time fuze, the use of det cord in the construction of a daisy chain, the cyclic rate of fire of an M-60 machinge gun or how to deal with a runaway gun, how to shoot an azimuth (they all predated GPS in age)....

Rambo wannabes.

Now we have "Shadow Hunter".

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
B

beunbad

Bet he can tell you where all the surplus stores are and the best way to care for phony SEAL logo type shirts marketed as authentic "Teamwear". Godamed wanna bes..

Semper fi,

Jadedjarhead

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My pops has been a machinist for many years and for some reason he has run into quite a few "talkers" at his jobs, the usual mix of ex-cons, bikers, wannabe toughies, hilljacks and the rest. Dad's an old Navy vet, but nothing colorful, he was just a radar operator on cruiser. The point of the story is this guy he currently works with comes up and starts talkin. He tells my Dad about how he went to the Air Force Academy straight from highschool because he was top of his class, and when he graduated they sent him to 'Nam as a pilot. He had a moral issue with dropping bombs on innocents, so he got a transfer to fly huey med-exacs. After his "stint" there they decided he'd be good for "black-ops" behind lines in Cambodia and Loas. Finally, got back to the US and made a few million with a roofing business he started. That was fine until he murdered two people and went to prison for "a while". So now that he's out, he's a machinist.

I lost count of how many 'tough guy" cliches this guy tried to cram into one story.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...you don't go from the Air Force dropping bombs to the Army med-evacs. The guy didn't do his homework.

We run into guys like this a lot in the martial arts. People like this live a lie because they need the illusion of power. I've read where they were abused as children. They pretend they're former Spec Ops, or martial artists extraordinaire.

But THIS should be another thread....or should it? Perhaps it is OT, given who started the thread and on what he wrote. It seems people think he's one of these guys.

Maybe I'll start a thread on this. Where would it be a good spot to post it? Thoughts?

Regards,

Steve Scott

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's one thing I have trouble understanding....there are SO many people who lie about being in the military. If you wanted to be in the military, then you should of joined!

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was having a beer with a friend of mine the other day when the discussion turned to how many "spec-ops vets" the war on terror will produce. I think the local MCS store can expect to see a run on silver stars, DSCs, Bronze stars, SF and Ranger tabs (note to wannabes make sure you wear the SF tab on both sleeves with the arrowhead) :uhyeah:, and the like.
I have a feeling that there will be many bar stool commandos that my sons will be meeting 20 years or so down the road who can't even spell Afghanistan.

regards,

andy
An Army SGT driving a desk in NJ

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a thread on this going on over in General Martial Arts discussion...entitled "Liars in the Martial Arts". It includes military frauds...as I thought them to be of the same ilk. Pop in and contribute.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Rambo wannabes.

Now we have "Shadow Hunter".

Steve,
I think you are just trying to project onto me what you know to be true about a teacher you have studied with.

http://www.phonyveterans.com/Gyi.html

Tell me if any of my claims have been shot down like Gyi's have. In fact, try to tell me exactly where I claimed to be part of the CIA, Chindits, etc.

I have been fairly amused by the way several people have shrilly attacked me rather than try to face the truth I present. It is rather fun to see you all clutch your fantasy as you try to drown out the truth with your attacks.

I have a question for you all. For all the guys who say they will face a knife with a knife in their hands, do you use your knife if the other guy grabs you with no weapon in his hands? I am sure there are several of you who would answer yes and say something abuot it being better to be judged by 12 rather than caried by 6 before running off to the bathroom with the latest knife magazine.

But for those that try not to face really bad legal troubles, if you are in a grappling situation and the other guy suddenly pulls a knife- what do you do then? Do you go for your own knife while he has one hand on you and another with a knife in it? Or do you deal with the knife threat of his before you go for your own?

I have met Gracie stylists who have practiced against someone pulling a knife in the middle of a fight. I have never met a person who has identified himself as a knife fighter who has. One said he could- but it was a fairly pathetic attempt. Their attitude is reflected by the comments here about how you will not be caught unaware, how you will have access to your weapon, etc.

But I just learned that felons are so aware of the trick of pulling a knife in the middle of a fist fight to earn it at least three different prison slang terms!

I see no one wants to part with their little dreams of being invincible knife fighters. Go back to your games and your comments behind the safety of your keyboards. 99 percent of you will never get close to a knife fight so I guess it does not mater how ineffective your training would be should you meet a graduate of the prison system.

Or you can prop up your egos by making comments about how you really do deal with these kind of things.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Yes I am back for a while. And I am expecting some more mean- spirited attacks from people like you instead of honest discussion about the facts in a friendly enviroment.

As I said, it is amusing to see people try to attack me rather than deal with any facts that threaten their fantasy world view.

OP
R

Richard S.

Mr. shadowhunter, welcome back. we missed you.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
Steve,
I think you are just trying to project onto me what you know to be true about a teacher you have studied with.

http://www.phonyveterans.com/Gyi.html

Tell me if any of my claims have been shot down like Gyi's have. In fact, try to tell me exactly where I claimed to be part of the CIA, Chindits, etc.

I can hardly think that having a burgeoning group of students across the continent shows people believe "Fat Mike's" claims on Dr. Gyi. It's just politics being delivered by a bitter veteran. The phonyveterans website is an interesting mix of half-reasearched name calling and real fraud busting. If anyone wnats to hear my theory on that site and my knowledge as to the reason why Doc is being attacked feel free to PM me as I don't want to clutter up a thread posted for other reasons.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the past.

I've met Dr. Gyi in the past few years and I really like him.

Probably a tangent about him should be directed to the Indochinese Martial Arts-General forum however.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
My suggestion?

Put this on the "Liars in the Martial Arts thread. Its in the General Martial Arts forum. Hash it out there.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11265

And no, Shadowhunter, I'm not trying to project anything from Gyi on to you.

Further, I'm no apologist for Gyi. I will not train with him because of the allegations made against him...and I haven't trained with him since before the allegations became public. What training I received was minimal, in any event. You trained with him a bit, too, it seems. Perhaps, I'd venture, a little more than me?

But again, Gyi's issues belong in the forum as mentioned...and anybody who wants to defend him ought to do so publicly, so too his detractors.

Back to issue of this thread...you make a point, Shadowhunter, about the knife play in the scenario you mentioned. But from the start, you did so acidulously. I'm not surprised people turned on you. Trashing FMA in your post is not the best way to win adherents to your views, much less any respect.

You remind me, with your condescending lack of tact, of someone else I know. You clearly know me, and have me at a disadvantage, but only partially so, since I'm reasonably sure I know who you are. Care to come out of the close...er...the shadows?

Anyway...I take your point. If someone pulls a knife on me in a situation where I'm grappling him, it is a reeeeeally bad (replace with appropriate expletive). I don't think anybody here denies that. Grappling with a knife when you're barehanded forebodes a dim future. If someone bushwhacks any one of us, same thing.

But if I have time to get my knife out, I think it premature to assume you'll win. But then, you said you'd run, didn't you?

How sweet. Good choice, perhaps.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
99 percent of you will never get close to a knife fight
And I am thankfull for that and I hope I am part of that 99% I don't see that as a bad thing.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Anyway...I take your point. If someone pulls a knife on me in a situation where I'm grappling him, it is a reeeeeally bad (replace with appropriate expletive). I don't think anybody here denies that. Grappling with a knife when you're barehanded forebodes a dim future. If someone bushwhacks any one of us, same thing.

But if I have time to get my knife out, I think it premature to assume you'll win

If someone has one arm around your waist and you notice that the other arm has a knife coming at you do you really think that you can pull a knife and defeat the guy before he carves you like a turkey?

This is the mindset I was talking about. Cops are gunmen. You ask the typical LEO what he would do if he saw a guy with a knife charging him from 21 feet and he will answer that he would pull his gun and shoot the SOB. We know that few cops can do that. But as a "knife man" you think that from a wrestling situation you can get your own knife out in time to save your life? How about dealing with the knife he has before going for your own?

Honestly, people who claim to be knife fighters have got to have the most macho attitude of any martial art out there. You can find old ladies and reasonably normal people studying self defense arts. But the guys who call themselves knife artists are almost 100 percent young guys who are in deseperate need of a real life.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been doing FMA on and off for fifteen years and I honestly don't know a single person claiming to be a knife fighter.

No, I don't necessarily think I'm going to get out of that scenario you described Scot free (no pun intended). BUT I'M GOING TO TRY.

What would you do? Please, I seek your illumination.

SCS

Latest Discussions