Knife defence

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just started looking at knife fighting skills as a complete newbie to this area, I watched some ww2 USA army training footage on it and found a book on ww2 unarmed combat which had knife fighting, thought I would start their as these guys we’re fighting for their lives in the jungle against the japs so everything would be simple no bull effective techniques as compared to watching modern vids on ytube by guys who don’t know the real world. But as I say I’m a complete newbie so has knife fighting improved, if so what are the best sources to look at

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking for knife defense or how to fight with a knife? Yes, training and knowledge has improved in many areas.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking for knife defense or how to fight with a knife? Yes, training and knowledge has improved in many areas.
How to fight with a knife, I think the best defence if you don’t have a knife and they do is to run like hell, if possible

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some FMA - ( Filipino Martial Arts ) systems that concentrate on the blade, and some that have it as part of their complete overall system.

There is an Italian Stiletto type knife system

Keating is a US Knife instructor and does Bowie and other knives.

What is your location? - If not wanted to be shared here or in message, then search for Keating, Bowie, FMA, Italian knife , ...
Your location would provide others the assistance to find or recommend an instructor in your area.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
First thought: flee
If that doesn’t work, One word: control

The FMA arts (escrima, Eskrido, Arnis, Kali) are super varied in their practicality. Some are downright impractical. Some schools, the instructor only learned from whatever seminars they attended. With that said, when taught well, there is no better way. It is a deep and combative art.

What city do you live in?

Eskrido de Alcuizar
World Eskrido Federation
Buena Park, CA

Last edited:
OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
First thought: flee
If that doesn’t work, One word: control

The FMA arts (escrima, Eskrido, Arnis, Kali) are super varied in their practicality. Some are downright impractical. Some schools, the instructor only learned from whatever seminars they attended. With that said, when taught well, there is no better way.

What city do you live in?

Eskrido de Alcuizar
World Eskrido Federation
Buena Park, CA
Sorry I’m in scotland, not a big demand or need for it here but England has a hellish death by knife attack numbers and I’m pretty sure it will come here soon, kids will probably need some knowledge of this as it will be a issue for them, I will probably have to learn it from ytube but what’s good and what’s bull is hard for me to tell as it’s not something people here know about. Again unfortunately I’m sure that’s going to change

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I’m in scotland, not a big demand or need for it here but England has a hellish death by knife attack numbers and I’m pretty sure it will come here soon, kids will probably need some knowledge of this as it will be a issue for them, I will probably have to learn it from ytube but what’s good and what’s bull is hard for me to tell as it’s not something people here know about. Again unfortunately I’m sure that’s going to change
Are the knife laws just England, or UK (including Scotland)?

If the restrictions are universal then you would be a criminal for carrying the knife as well. At lest from my understanding from the outside.

In that case you would need to use improvised tools / weapons for your defense while you tried to create space and move away.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Philippines, when the indigenous arts were banned, they used farming tools to keep the art alive. They did it well enough to be used to fight the Japanese and morro fighters in the jungles of the Philippines. There are a few online schools that I’ve only heard of but not explored.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are the knife laws just England, or UK (including Scotland)?

If the restrictions are universal then you would be a criminal for carrying the knife as well. At lest from my understanding from the outside.

In that case you would need to use improvised tools / weapons for your defense while you tried to create space and move away.
Knife laws are the same, I’m not planning on carrying one or letting the kids, it’s more a useful thing to know in a changing world,

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the Philippines, when the indigenous arts were banned, they used farming tools to keep the art alive. They did it well enough to be used to fight the Japanese and morro fighters in the jungles of the Philippines. There are a few online schools that I’ve only heard of but not explored.
Thanks I will think about things I have around the house, always best to be prepared, my neighbors went into their kitchen last week and found a very large guy standing there, luckily he ran out the door because they just froze with know idea what to do. They have kids same age as mine and now the guys taking personal and home security a bit more serious

Latest Discussions