Yellow/Orange Belt Attacks (Catalysts)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that, like many people I have met, my Bob doesn't have a brain. Therefore even the most technically perfect strike I deliver won't give me a KO. ;)

I'm with you. I can knock him over with kicks, sure, but apparently my hand techniques lack power, since I don't knock him over with them.

I'd like to see video from those who knock him over with their hand strikes, to see what they're doing that I'm not...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with you. I can knock him over with kicks, sure, but apparently my hand techniques lack power, since I don't knock him over with them.

I'd like to see video from those who knock him over with their hand strikes, to see what they're doing that I'm not...
Let me save you the trouble. You are standing too far away. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me save you the trouble. You are standing too far away. :)

I doubt that, since I practice at everything from kicking range to headbutt range...

I suspect that the "knockdowns" are quite often "push downs". Nothing wrong with that, but they're not the same thing. Video examples would help to clarify.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I do a system that requires me to get close enough to kiss that Bob; so, it just isn't my thing. I'm sure it is good for someone. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I doubt that, since I practice at everything from kicking range to headbutt range...

I suspect that the "knockdowns" are quite often "push downs". Nothing wrong with that, but they're not the same thing. Video examples would help to clarify.
I wouldn't call it a push, I would say it was a lot of body momentum. Like the crack smoking mayor of Toronto, women fall down like Bobs when he runs into them. LOL

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I throw a wig on it. :)

Interfering with your opponents vision... a common and effective technique...

I wouldn't call it a push, I would say it was a lot of body momentum. Like the crack smoking mayor of Toronto, women fall down like Bobs when he runs into them. LOL

OK, so that doesn't really sound like something I'd consider a strike, unless you're talking American football... :)
Not saying techniques like that aren't effective, but BOB was never intended to be a tackling dummy. Sometimes you need a hammer. Sometimes a wrench. Sometimes a flamethrower...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interfering with your opponents vision... a common and effective technique...

OK, so that doesn't really sound like something I'd consider a strike, unless you're talking American football... :)
Not saying techniques like that aren't effective, but BOB was never intended to be a tackling dummy. Sometimes you need a hammer. Sometimes a wrench. Sometimes a flamethrower...
I think it is good for a scare crow. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But seriously, the whole point of the thread is that the attacks should be realistic, and if you have to adjust range, or pull your punch; so, as not to upset the Bob, it all becomes unrealistic. :rolleyes:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka i am surprised you dont like the BOB. i have one and love it. its not for power, ill give you that. anyone with a mediocre punch will knock it over. butt.. the real use is in "simulator fidelity". which means the degree of realism of the training equipment. if you put a shirt on a BOB and (dont laugh ) a wig. your brain will accept this is a simulation drill. this is the same concept as law enforcement and the military replacing bulls eye targets to silouetts and i think now they are using some kind of actual 3d photo of a bad guy. when they did this transition the successfull firing rates increased dramaticly. i like to use the BOB to hard wire responses that i can not do with live people.

but i digress...

i still dont get what the OP is trying to accomplish or what the whole point of this thread is supposed to be. he posted a video from youtube, people didnt find it usefull or credible for the suposed intent then makes an other post which made no sense to me. if there is another opinion to counter what has been posted and written then lets have the debate. it is possible we are all wrong and misunderstood so please post something coherent and state your case as a counter argument.

Bro, I don't know if I like a Bob or not. I've never used one! Not even a slap walking by the darn thing. Do you, or any of you other guys, use gloves? Is it pretty good without gloves? What do you like it for the most, punching, kicking? Sticks maybe?

I know what you mean about hard wiring responses that you can't do with live people. But ain't that what green belts are for? (I kid, I kid) (a little anyway)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bro, I don't know if I like a Bob or not. I've never used one! Not even a slap walking by the darn thing. Do you, or any of you other guys, use gloves? Is it pretty good without gloves? What do you like it for the most, punching, kicking? Sticks maybe?

Gloves and/or hand wraps are a good idea if your hands have never been conditioned, but at this point I don't wear any. I find BOB to be closer to hitting a person than a conventional bag. I use him for all sorts of unarmed striking (although unlike Touch of Death I've never kissed him... [don't judge him!]). I've never used him for weapons, but I think he would work very well for sticks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gloves and/or hand wraps are a good idea if your hands have never been conditioned, but at this point I don't wear any. I find BOB to be closer to hitting a person than a conventional bag. I use him for all sorts of unarmed striking (although unlike Touch of Death I've never kissed him... [don't judge him!]). I've never used him for weapons, but I think he would work very well for sticks.
It is just the way he looks at me. I feel compelled! ;)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
the things i practice on him are a lot of neck strikes; lots of forearms and elbows. you can get very close up and get a good feel for neck strikes without using your visual perception. i dont kiss him tho, even with the wig on :) i also like to do knife work, with a training knife of course and thus the real reason for the shirt. i dont use gloves but i think it might be a good idea. i just dont wear gloves. if i need some skin protection from the heavy bag canvas i use wraps. i am old fasion when it comes to power hitting, there is nothing like the good thud you get from a 100 pound canvas bag. and the "wave" water bag of the 80's was horrible im glad there gone.

and the problem with green belts is eventually you run out. they also figure it out real quick when i call one over and every one else gives him that look that says " poor soul, poor unknowing soul"

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
i hate always having to be the one to say stuff like this but...what the hell was that? that was the most boring video i have ever watched. that was suposed to be realistic? that was the opposite of realistic. ok so now my question is, what is the point of this thread?
Hey, you're not the one to always say things like that, I am. Stop trying to steal my criticism. Oh well, we can share.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah… sorry, Chris, but I'm with the others here (Hoshin, Tony…).

"There is no Kenpo in this video" Yes, there is. It's all Kenpo. They're Kenpo attacks… they're not realistic, or street, or anything of the sort. They are stylised (to the style of Kenpo) attacks which provide a start point for the execution of techniques.

"This is not a nice video" Well… that's true… but not for the reasons given (by the video itself). It's perfectly sanitised and nice that way. It's not a "nice" video because it's rather lacklustre, and flawed in it's execution of it's intended aim.

The habit of stopping the attacks with an extended arm is flat out terrible. The lack of commitment from Mr Cole throughout is, for someone of his standing and experience, and considering the set-up of the video, frankly deplorable.

To be honest, even without a Kenpo background, I'm positive that I, or many others here, could give a better rendition of all these attacks. This, to me, is little more than a wasted opportunity at best, and outright delusion at worst.
Uh, yeah!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
re-posted from Mr. Cole's facebook page:

Okay, so I put a video on you tube, for my students to see how I want them to practice not just their techniques, but, the attacks that will make sure their techniques will not be worthless to them.

This is the video,

Chris puts it up on Kenpotalk and the fun begins and this is what the nest of trolls have to say,

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/15-parkers-kenpo-epak-general/15382-yellow-orange-belt-attacks-catalysts.html

I think it is important to remember that being an internet troll/warrior is all fine a dandy. Ron Chapel seems to think that I should give back my black belt and cease all further teaching. Maybe he would like it if I apologized to all of the people I have taught in the last 23 years, I dunno.

But I will press on. Mongo like candy...

[Personal contact info and challenge removed per TOS.]
Clark
WE ARE BORG.....................THAT'S RIGHT
I never anyone should give back their black belt, but teaching is another issue. Oh, and just because someone's been "teaching" for 23 years, doesn't mean it been good. It just means for 23 years they found someone who thinks they can teach. Not hard with new students.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the things i practice on him are a lot of neck strikes; lots of forearms and elbows. you can get very close up and get a good feel for neck strikes without using your visual perception. i dont kiss him tho, even with the wig on :) i also like to do knife work, with a training knife of course and thus the real reason for the shirt. i dont use gloves but i think it might be a good idea. i just dont wear gloves. if i need some skin protection from the heavy bag canvas i use wraps. i am old fasion when it comes to power hitting, there is nothing like the good thud you get from a 100 pound canvas bag. and the "wave" water bag of the 80's was horrible im glad there gone.

and the problem with green belts is eventually you run out. they also figure it out real quick when i call one over and every one else gives him that look that says " poor soul, poor unknowing soul"

Knife work sounds interesting on Bob. I'll give it a try. As I will with striking. As for that water bag you spoke of - worst bag I've ever seen.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never anyone should give back their black belt, but teaching is another issue. Oh, and just because someone's been "teaching" for 23 years, doesn't mean it been good. It just means for 23 years they found someone who thinks they can teach. Not hard with new students.

Hey Doc,

I think what was referred to was post 27 on the Kenpotalk thread...

KenpoChanger said:
… I think either the belt, or the Bob has to go.

Doc said:
Probably both.

Yellow/Orange Belt Attacks (Catalysts) - Page 2

Latest Discussions