Would you hit a woman who was unarmed?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Did you know that I can order a switchblade online and possess it in my home? If I want to transport it in my vehicle it must not be anywhere inside the passenger compartment. A folding knife may be legally carried in my pocket almost anywhere. I may also legally carry a sword(or any size blade) on my hip in public. Simple possession of throwing stars on the other hand,(even within my home) is a “wobbler” that can result in a felony. A cane sword is also prohibited to possess. I can, however carry a concealed, loaded handgun on my person in most places with a permit. Im not an attorney, but this seems to be an oddball collection of statutes with no consistency in basis or bias towards public safety in any meaningful way. I’m not coming from any political place here. I am merely making an observation, and perhaps exposing my ignorance of how the law is supposed to work here.
I’m lost. It seemed like you were critical of the Uk making knife laws. Is it just that the laws we have in the USA are not consistent with our gun laws?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m lost. It seemed like you were critical of the Uk making knife laws. Is it just that the laws we have in the USA are not consistent with our gun laws?
I’m sorry, I was rambling a bit. I was actually commenting on the idea that a bigger knife or one named skull splitter or some other such nonsense is somehow more dangerous. Moreover, it is so particularly dangerous due to the markings or serrations that there is a need to legislate legal shapes and sizes or colors of knives that people are allowed. I was commenting on how ludicrous that concept is. When you mentioned knives being legislated here, it got me thinking about how that relates to similar silly ideas being legislated into nonsense laws here. Again I apologize for rambling on. I was just sort of replying to you. I don’t really have a dog in the fight because I don’t carry swords or ninja stars. Just thought those knife laws don’t really do much because after all, a kitchen knife is just as deadly as a knife with skulls and a name.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I was rambling a bit. I was actually commenting on the idea that a bigger knife or one named skull splitter or some other such nonsense is somehow more dangerous. Moreover, it is so particularly dangerous due to the markings or serrations that there is a need to legislate legal shapes and sizes or colors of knives that people are allowed. I was commenting on how ludicrous that concept is. When you mentioned knives being legislated here, it got me thinking about how that relates to similar silly ideas being legislated into nonsense laws here. Again I apologize for rambling on. I was just sort of replying to you. I don’t really have a dog in the fight because I don’t carry swords or ninja stars. Just thought those knife laws don’t really do much because after all, a kitchen knife is just as deadly as a knife with skulls and a name.
The law wasn't just against so called zombie knives but was added to the existing law after so many flooded in from China.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where do you think your morals come from?
I do cause and effect morality as much as I am able to.

So if I am hurting someone it probably isn't good.

I still hurt people I just don't consider it moral.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's about intent.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah if you carry a knife designed for killing people you may be carrying a knife with the intention of killing people.
So stilletto and daggers only? Any knife can kill. Just because it has a skull pommel or serrations doesn’t mean it is intended to be a murder weapon. i carry a knife with a black cerakote blade that is half serrated. It was not intended or designed for killing, it was intended to be a functional tool. Yes, I could ( if I intended) likely kill someone with it. I could also use a rock, stick, or table fork for the same purpose. I guess I just don’t see the connection to intent from cosmetic details regardless of the nature. Are swords illegal to possess? A sword is specifically designed to kill people efficiently, it doesn’t need a skull pommel for that to be true. I am not the sharpest knife in the set so maybe I’m missing the point? I’m maybe on the edge of political here so I should be careful not to get points myself. Yes, all puns were intended.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do cause and effect morality as much as I am able to.

So if I am hurting someone it probably isn't good.

I still hurt people I just don't consider it moral.
It's a nuanced topic, to be sure. I think there's room for a lot of different, legitimate perspectives. That said (and why I asked the question), I'm skeptical when someone suggests that their own sense of morality is unchanging and independent of external influence.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a nuanced topic, to be sure. I think there's room for a lot of different, legitimate perspectives. That said (and why I asked the question), I'm skeptical when someone suggests that their own sense of morality is unchanging and independent of external influence.
Would a faith based morality apply? Just a question.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Would a faith based morality apply? Just a question.
I think so, but I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

Influenced by religion? Yes, religion is definitely an external influence on morality.

Does religious morality change over time? Yeah, often it does. and where it doesn’t, it can become dangerous or susceptible to being appropriated by zealots.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think so, but I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

Influenced by religion? Yes, religion is definitely an external influence on morality.

Does religious morality change over time? Yeah, often it does. and where it doesn’t, it can become dangerous or susceptible to being appropriated by zealots.
You answered my question. I was actually asking whether you thought religious morality was a static thing, and if so, whether that would cause you some skepticism. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer since my query was so broad. I do not generally see things as right/wrong/black/white so I ask these questions to see what other people think/feel/believe. I often uncover insights that are of value to me when I ask. Same thing with the knife law thing. I think it’s dumb, but I want to hear what others say about it because when I can’t make sense of something, it’s often because I’m ignorant to some detail. That’s a long winded thank you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You answered my question. I was actually asking whether you thought religious morality was a static thing, and if so, whether that would cause you some skepticism. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer since my query was so broad. I do not generally see things as right/wrong/black/white so I ask these questions to see what other people think/feel/believe. I often uncover insights that are of value to me when I ask. Same thing with the knife law thing. I think it’s dumb, but I want to hear what others say about it because when I can’t make sense of something, it’s often because I’m ignorant to some detail. That’s a long winded thank you.

Religious morality isn't static.

I think at one point Christmas was banned for example.

Oliver Cromwell.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do we have Lutherans?
Why do we have any of the children of Abraham? Why can’t any of them get along? Why are you picking on Lutherans in particular? Is it the Antisemitism of the founder? This is a real rabbit hole here that we probably should not go spelunking in, but I’m happy to discuss on private.

Latest Discussions