Would you hit a woman who was unarmed?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m lost. It seemed like you were critical of the Uk making knife laws. Is it just that the laws we have in the USA are not consistent with our gun laws?
I'm not wwg, and obviously his complaints are his own. I'm also not from the UK. But I find most weapon laws stupid. Not focusing on gun laws as that would break the 'politics' rules, but oftentimes non-gun weapon laws don't make sense. Nunchucks aren't allowed, while stilettos are. Brass knuckles aren't allowed, but if you add a little knob on them to make it a paperweight, they suddenly have a non-SD focus and are allowed. Depending on the state, certain knives/daggers aren't allowed, but if you cross a state border it switches.

Ultimately, it's incredibly inconsistent, and could be fixed at a federal level, but as it is, just doesn't make sense. Also, inconveniently, it makes people who practice weapon-based arts have to fear getting pulled over to/from the dojo (which ultimately is less important than the lives of those that may be killed, but still annoying to those of us it affects, when we know that loopholes allow for others to use the weapons in a legal manner).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not wwg, and obviously his complaints are his own. I'm also not from the UK. But I find most weapon laws stupid. Not focusing on gun laws as that would break the 'politics' rules, but oftentimes non-gun weapon laws don't make sense. Nunchucks aren't allowed, while stilettos are. Brass knuckles aren't allowed, but if you add a little knob on them to make it a paperweight, they suddenly have a non-SD focus and are allowed. Depending on the state, certain knives/daggers aren't allowed, but if you cross a state border it switches.

Ultimately, it's incredibly inconsistent, and could be fixed at a federal level, but as it is, just doesn't make sense. Also, inconveniently, it makes people who practice weapon-based arts have to fear getting pulled over to/from the dojo (which ultimately is less important than the lives of those that may be killed, but still annoying to those of us it affects, when we know that loopholes allow for others to use the weapons in a legal manner).

Image is probably more important than we give it credit for.

The broken window concept.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually the law in the UK about certain swords and knives should be about consumer protection. Just about every "samurai" sword, "zombie" knife etc are cheap imports from China, and totally useless. They are blunt, poorly made and sold for inflated prices. 🙄
Martial artists and genuine users of knives for work/ leisure haven't been bothered by the laws here, despite what some say or think.
My beef is the difficulty of finding the money for the Japanese sword I really need to have. 😀 My 3 year old granddaughter always says when she wants something, that she "needs" it. I need that sword, I have others, I bought when I was working but now I'm retired its hard to find hundreds of thousands of pounds lol. My husband would prefer to buy a new Landrover Defender 😆😆

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

You said it better than I could. It’s the inconsistency that bothers me most.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

How very 1984/1948. The broken window concept is a way to prop up police policy that may be well intentioned initially, but which we know from experience results in the most vulnerable and disenfranchised people in the lowest socioeconomic groups suffering from disproportionate policing. This is not an indictment of any person or group, but rather an unfortunate result of failed policy. I urge you to continue your research into the matter. The results of stop and frisk in New York are well documented.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually the law in the UK about certain swords and knives should be about consumer protection. Just about every "samurai" sword, "zombie" knife etc are cheap imports from China, and totally useless. They are blunt, poorly made and sold for inflated prices. 🙄
Martial artists and genuine users of knives for work/ leisure haven't been bothered by the laws here, despite what some say or think.
My beef is the difficulty of finding the money for the Japanese sword I really need to have. 😀 My 3 year old granddaughter always says when she wants something, that she "needs" it. I need that sword, I have others, I bought when I was working but now I'm retired its hard to find hundreds of thousands of pounds lol. My husband would prefer to buy a new Landrover Defender 😆😆
I agree that most of these items tend to be “wall hangers” of stage prop quality. Blunt 440 stainless is standard fare. Go for the Landrover.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Image is about personal perception. What a person thinks or feels when they see something is really on them. In other words, if a person(police or otherwise) sees a person dressed a certain way or walking a certain way or with a coif of a certain style, they will likely make presumptions based on their beliefs and experiences. Those presumptions will often prove false. Judging the book by its cover just isn’t the way to make policies that equate to fair and equal justice for all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why do we have any of the children of Abraham? Why can’t any of them get along? Why are you picking on Lutherans in particular? Is it the Antisemitism of the founder? This is a real rabbit hole here that we probably should not go spelunking in, but I’m happy to discuss on private.
Not picking on anyone and not trying to go down any rabbit holes. If you want to discuss it, I’m down. Or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Image is about personal perception. What a person thinks or feels when they see something is really on them. In other words, if a person(police or otherwise) sees a person dressed a certain way or walking a certain way or with a coif of a certain style, they will likely make presumptions based on their beliefs and experiences. Those presumptions will often prove false. Judging the book by its cover just isn’t the way to make policies that equate to fair and equal justice for all.

Covers are designed as a tool to judge the book. That is why they have a description on the back.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But he is a dead anti semite so he is welcome to the debate if he is up for it.:)
Ha. Don’t read more into my comment than intended. My only point is that Martin Luther had ethical concerns about his religion, and ended up starting the Protestant movement. His 95 theses were moral concerns related to corruption and the moral foundation of Catholicism.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

There is some state-by-state variation but overall, I feel you are spot on. At the same time, I strongly feel most of it should be at the state level.
Since defense attorneys create almost all laws, there is a workaround in most of them.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Early in my first marriage , I was in an apartment and I took my sword, sharp, out to the basketball court and did some weapons forms and general practicing.

As it was getting darker, I packed up and started back to my apartment. The Court was in the middle green area between lots and multiple building. I walked to our lot and started to cross when a guy started rolling real slow and looking at the buildings. I stopped and waited as he did not see me.
He stopped so I started to move. Well we played the him never looking forward game and starting and stopping and me stating and stopping. He ended up stopping right in front of me with the window open.
I heard a police scanner in his vehicle. They are no illegal, only illegal to have in / on a vehicle.
He turned and freaked, and yelled at me.
I said I should be the one yelling as you damn near ran me over. He grumped.
I walked inside and went up to the apartment and called the local police. (* Yes 911 was available, , but I had the local number memorized *)
While I was talking with dispatch, she was getting a call from an undercover reporting me and my description. After a couple back and forth between both of us, she laughed and told the officer I was on the phone calling on him. He asked what I had had in my hand. I answered honestly. I had a sword in a scabbard. She laughed , he laughed, and they asked if I remain inside while they finished their contact.

After my divorce and I was moving from my apartment in to a house , a police officer was in the apartment parking lot.
I stopped and motioned that I wanted to approach on foot and talk.
He smiled and was doing police paperwork after a call. He had been there a few minutes and didn't look to move soon.

So, I told him I am going to be loading my car with swords , knives and other weapons. He laughed and said "Thank you for letting me know and not catching it out of the corner of my eye."

Training incident I locked up the building one night a police officer across the street in the funeral home watched me and after loading my vehicle and then going back and locking the doors he pulled in and lit me up.

He emptied my pockets and then asked to search the vehicle.
I said no.
He said he would anyways.
I asked why? What is his probable cause?

He said I was stealing from the building.

I laughed and said I had keys and you watched me lock it up.
He said Do you give me permission to search.
I said no.
This went on for a few minutes.
Then he took the keys and told me he was going to search.
I said I am being held against my will, by a person impersonating an officer and that he was under citizens arrest.
Only that he was the one with gun so I guess he was robbing me at gun point.
I grabbed a pen from my trunk lid (* See emptied pockets *) and wrote down his badge number, vehicle number and plate number, while he opened my trunk, opened my gear back, found a smaller bag, and opened it and then took out my knife. Balisong - blade over 4 inches so illegal to open or conceal carry in the state of Michigan. Hence why it was in a bag in a bag , in my trunk. Handle was over 5 total length was about 9.5 inches.

He took my blade.

I asked for a police report number.
He refused and drove away.

I drove the Flint City Police Department and pounded on the door until a sergeant answered by telling me to go home before he arrests me for public intoxication.
I yelled through the door that I was pressing charges against a person who was an officer or impersonating an officer with a badge number xyz and vehicle number ijkl, and plate number 123xabc .

That got his attention.

I continued that I wanted to pressed assault and battery as he did touch me.
Brandishing a weapon.
Armed Robbery.
Detaining me without cause ( Civil Rights )
and impersonating an officer or charges of officer on duty committing a felony.

He called the officer in.
The officer was upset.
He tried to get physical with me.
I just raised my hands to protect my face. The sergeant grabbed him and said give him the blade or sign out and go home. He was tired of his ****.
I got my blade back.

Yes, it can be a hassle.

and in Michigan most of the knife laws are there to catch one while committing another crime.
The one ruling that got me ( sorry forgot case ) was the Knives are an offensive weapon and guns are a defensive weapon.
Old law / case / ruling from late 1800's. I guess they wanted to stop all the knife fights.

Investigate the local laws, be they Country, State/Province, and county and city and township. And yes all three can have a conflicting law.
The general rule of thumb is that local can get more restrictive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that could be Zombie Apocalypses Vehicle :D
Where I live we need a 4x4, we have a fair amount of vampire sheep so need something sturdy.
My husband, ex RAF, used to drive an armoured long wheel base Landrover on a certain deployment in the UK and really wants his own to drive around😂

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you asking if I would defend myself from an attacker?
I'm asking if you would use a certain level of force, against and attack from an unarmed female. I am certainly not asking if you would take general action to protect yourself. I'm asking if you would take your fist and break her nose. Or drive your knee into her chest, or kick her knee cap, smash her jaw with your elbow or whatever.