Injury reports requested (gedan/chudan Spinning heel - achilles hit knee or elbwow)

Fungus2

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
So far it never happend to me, but I am curious of incident reports... I'm talking about a proper power follow through spnning heel kick into either hip/joint, liver, or leg of opponent. The one where you go all in, not a slap or a snap. Im not talking about head kicks.

If opponent blocks liver with elbow or lower with knees, i can iamgine that hitting the achilles tendons on the tip of elbow or knee cap might be nasty.

Im basically considering the reward/risk ratio of certain techniques.

(Another example is the hookd punch ti kidney or ribs, this can be devastating, but also getting your wrist into a elbow tip can be more devastating. I ask the similar question for heel kicks. Obviously the achilles tending is the high risk here)

Any experience or ideas on this?
 
So far it never happend to me, but I am curious of incident reports... I'm talking about a proper power follow through spnning heel kick into either hip/joint, liver, or leg of opponent. The one where you go all in, not a slap or a snap. Im not talking about head kicks.

If opponent blocks liver with elbow or lower with knees, i can iamgine that hitting the achilles tendons on the tip of elbow or knee cap might be nasty.

Im basically considering the reward/risk ratio of certain techniques.

(Another example is the hookd punch ti kidney or ribs, this can be devastating, but also getting your wrist into a elbow tip can be more devastating. I ask the similar question for heel kicks. Obviously the achilles tending is the high risk here)

Any experience or ideas on this?
In your context, I doubt it is any riskier than other spinning kicks. In a dynamic situation (live sparring) it is slightly slower for most people, so that is worth consideration.
Before the rules started changing, a spinning wheel was a common counter kick in WT/TKD but they were 90% head shots. It is still a great second kick off a setup.
I did get some nasty sprains from a spinning heel glancing off a hard object like a shoulder or elbow.
On the other side of the query, I also have two documented KO's with a spinning kick to the head and a documented TKO for a liver shot spinning side kick.
Good times.
 
In your context, I doubt it is any riskier than other spinning kicks. In a dynamic situation (live sparring) it is slightly slower for most people, so that is worth consideration.
Before the rules started changing, a spinning wheel was a common counter kick in WT/TKD but they were 90% head shots.
What changed in the rules? I don't know much about TKD rules history?
It is still a great second kick off a setup.
I never use it as a first attack, as its easily spotted. Typically follow up to a feint hook or a roundhouse with the other leg where i continue already initiated rotation, then its fast enough.

I like it maybe more than i should because its one of the kicks i can pull off decently with my back. This is why i train this alot to, so im better at it than i should be becuase its one of the favourite kicks i train every single time. Same spin can be either spining heel kick or spinning back/side kick.

but spinning heel, this is the concern.
I did get some nasty sprains from a spinning heel glancing off a hard object like a shoulder or elbow.
how long did it take to heal?
On the other side of the query, I also have two documented KO's with a spinning kick to the head and a documented TKO for a liver shot spinning side kick.
Good times.
spining back/side kick is significantly more powerful, and i also feel more safe with that as it goes straight, so chances of slamming achilles tendon into target is slim I think. I usally set this up with an overhand strik to chest and collarbone, that often gets rid of the elbow and then next strike is a feint followed by the liver kick. I love that kick, so does my back.
 
What changed in the rules? I don't know much about TKD rules history?

I never use it as a first attack, as its easily spotted. Typically follow up to a feint hook or a roundhouse with the other leg where i continue already initiated rotation, then its fast enough.

I like it maybe more than i should because its one of the kicks i can pull off decently with my back. This is why i train this alot to, so im better at it than i should be becuase its one of the favourite kicks i train every single time. Same spin can be either spining heel kick or spinning back/side kick.

but spinning heel, this is the concern.

how long did it take to heal?

spining back/side kick is significantly more powerful, and i also feel more safe with that as it goes straight, so chances of slamming achilles tendon into target is slim I think. I usally set this up with an overhand strik to chest and collarbone, that often gets rid of the elbow and then next strike is a feint followed by the liver kick. I love that kick, so does my back.
What changed in the rules? I don't know much about TKD rules history?
The era of the spam/cancel kick and a much softer point trigger format. Less 'flash' and much more utility is sparring style.
how long did it take to heal?
Some of my foot/ankle injuries never really healed. But specific to a wheel/hook kick sprain, mine were mostly a hyper-extension in the plantar flexion motion to the top of the foot tendons so the hallucis and digitorum or extensor(s) damage. I do think the repeated jamming of the joint in that direction is bad. Sometimes you can just feel the bones crashing together.
 
The era of the spam/cancel kick and a much softer point trigger format. Less 'flash' and much more utility is sparring style.

Some of my foot/ankle injuries never really healed. But specific to a wheel/hook kick sprain, mine were mostly a hyper-extension in the plantar flexion motion to the top of the foot tendons so the hallucis and digitorum or extensor(s) damage. I do think the repeated jamming of the joint in that direction is bad. Sometimes you can just feel the bones crashing together.
So you plantarflex as you hit? sounds like when you hit with the ball of the foot? then thats how it would do it too.

But If i aim to hit with the hard heel (which i typically do), I dorsoflex and dig the heel into target. I usually train both on bag and on a hard beam in the gym, just to know I have have strcuture behind.
 
So you plantarflex as you hit? sounds like when you hit with the ball of the foot? then thats how it would do it too.

But If i aim to hit with the hard heel (which i typically do), I dorsoflex and dig the heel into target. I usually train both on bag and on a hard beam in the gym, just to know I have have strcuture behind.
Yes, I would sprain by over-extend the hallucis and/or digitorum in the plantarflexion. This is on a wheel or hook kick. Some for the marginal bit of added reach but if I could hold my foot in more of a neutral position I could deliver a solid hit without risking damage on either side of the foots connective tissues.
Before I had a full tear on the Achilles tendon (not related to this kick), I would pull all the way back as you describe. But for an Axe kick I still pull all the way back in dorsoflexion.
 
Back
Top